PDA

View Full Version : consoles becomming pc's

92SqnGCJimbo
05-19-2005, 05:21 PM
just been reading through some peoples posts about how powerful consoles are becomming etc etc... have people realised that they are actually becomming pc's.. adding graphics cards (xbox 360) quoting processor speeds and carrying hard drives(ps2 and 3) etc...and then the peripherals.. mice keyboards.
the pc's have outlived every consolde and it now looks like the console boys are thinking if u cant beat them join them and are creating nothing more than gaming pc's for another market (the arcade one)

Dexmeister
05-19-2005, 06:02 PM
I don't see what's arcade about a console. Forza or Splinter Cell as examples. A console is a low-maintenance version of gaming, IMO. Plus it's got fiber optic and composite outputs that plug into my home theatre. It's a good way to go.

heywooood
05-19-2005, 06:03 PM
I hope you are right - about most of that anyway.

This rig of mine is way too powerful for Words
...or most other 'typical' pc applications..

I'd like to have a very cheap 'puter for bills and internet surfing and email and whatnot
..and a relatively cheap console with some staying power mind you - (I dont wanna have to be buying a new console every year) for all my gaming needs - M/S needs to make J/sticks again though...I hope they thought of that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

mortoma
05-19-2005, 06:26 PM
I don't care how good the consoles get or even how good the games get, I simply have no use for them. My TV is for watching TV and my PC is for gaming, internet and business, plain and simple. In the same way I feel a cell phone should just be for making calls, not all the other fluff they are adding to them, such as digi-cams and such. That's what I bought a freeking digital camera for for cryin' out loud.
Why do I need a cell phone that takes pictures?? A cell phone is for calling, a PC is for gaming and a TV is for just that, watching TV!!!!
Let's hope the manufacturers realize this stuff someday.

JunkoIfurita
05-20-2005, 06:11 AM
I hear that, Mortoma.

Although I'm pretty certain the manufacturers know this quite well - they just know that you can sell a lot of **** technology, that wouldn't stand up on its own, by packaging it together into these 'Swiss army knife' style things.

Sure, you can get a digital camera on a cellphone, but it's a crappy resolution camera with a low grade lense. That same camera by itself wouldn't be worth $10. Yet it means your cellphone now costs you $1000 on a plan rather that $500.

It's the same thing with Computer technology. I was daft when I first went to wireless networking and got a Netgear 'Dual 108MB 8011g Access Point/Router/Modem'. Stupidest thing I ever did. Sure, it could handle the tasks of three pieces of equipment, but at a much lower standard. I was getting almost no throughput on the wireless, constant dropouts within 10 metres and the modem was useless with any ADSL line I'd every seen.

So I went and got a dedicated Access point from the same company. All of a sudden - full 108MBit bandwidth at twice the distance, and I'm yet to get a dropout.

And yet, when bloody retail salesmen are asked advice on products, which one do they push? The combo unit. It means that the company can sell inferior (and cheaper to produce) technology to people, who are led to believe they're saving a great deal of money.

----

Apache312
05-20-2005, 06:40 AM
<S>
Gentlemen,

Being a strict PC gamer for the last 15 years, I just recieved my first console, so I can now have an opinion on the matter. The console IS a p.c., but it seems to be targeted for the non-techie to start gaming. When my friend modded the chip, I saw that the console had all of the components of my p.c. That kind of standardized equipment must be a programmers wet dream.

My X-Box has a keyboard and mouse, since I cant use those controllers for ****. It seems that the p.c. market may be evolving to the console. I really cant say that im impressed with the console aspects and functions of gaming, but I can see why a non-techie would preffer that to a p.c., which requires upgrades, patches, and computer know-how to keep it alive and smooth. Thats the operative word...SMOOTH. If I can say anything positive about the console, its smooth.

I own the latest and greatest computer hardware out, yet I am always tweaking it to get maximum performance, and still fall short of equalling an X-Box on the terms of smooth.

In conclution to my rant, I only hope that evolution does not turn my computer into a word processor, due to the ease of creating a console game versus the pain and complaints of creating a p.c. game. Keep hope alive.

<S>
Apache

Butonga
05-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:

Why do I need a cell phone that takes pictures?? A cell phone is for calling, a PC is for gaming and a TV is for just that, watching TV!!!!
Let's hope the manufacturers realize this stuff someday.

Because you will most likely always carry a cell phone with you, but rarely a camera. And sometimes, you might just need a camera to take a picture of something you want.

So there I was....

We were flying a hurricain evacuation off some island. The tarmac area was very small with trees and telephone poles right next to it. It was like 4am in the morning and pitch black. The taximan tries to cram us into a very tight space because many other herc's would be landing soon to help the evac.

Sure as ****, he taxi's us right into a telephone pole with our wing. We cliped it and had a big dent on our leading edge, right before the tip cap.

While all the other herc crews landed, loaded up and left, we repaired our wing. We cut the bad part out, got a piece of metal sheeting a little thicker then the original metal. Cherry maxxed it to the wing. Taped the hell out of it with duct tape and then a layer of 100mph tape.

But without a maintenace release, it doesn't matter. Our maintenace officer was gonna have us abandon the plane and get off the island with another herc crew (hurricain was 5 hours out). We explained to him how bad it was and what we did, but without seeing it himself, we were not allowed to take off.

THEN someone pulls out their cell phone, takes pictures, emails it to the base site and we got our maintenace release. Wow, was that cell phone that could take pictures and do email totally useful!

We couldn't take any cargo with us, but we didn't leave our bird behind to the storm.

If the thing does it's basic function fine, I don't have any problems with it doing other functions as well.

What does a cell phone that can take pictures, play MP3's, email, play games, limited web surf as well as be a phone mean to me? It means I can just carry a one cell phone and have all that capability instead of a cell phone, camera, MP3 player, gameboy, and whatever else.

BanaBob
05-20-2005, 10:01 AM
I guess that means when the consoles come full circle, they'll eventually need patches too, lol, so what's the point? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

~S~
Bob

Tully__
05-20-2005, 10:16 AM
X-Box was always a PC (P-III 800MHz IIRC).

All the other consoles were always potentially a "personal computer", though not IBM-PC compatible. All they needed was the right software, they already had graphics, sound and data I/O and a means of user input.

starbender
05-20-2005, 02:03 PM
The biggest issue with consoles IMO is the lack of resolution in the video output. We played GTA:VC on the PS2 with that RGB cable, looks ok. The PC version pops off your screen in 1024X768 and 32 bit colour. Most TVs limited to 525 lines of resolution [I think]. Onscreen text and dials are nearly unreadable.

actionhank1786
05-20-2005, 02:13 PM
My only problem with consoles is really all this god**** PC porting.
It started with Ghost Recon 2, Ghost Recon, the original was an awesome game, and i was hoping the same could be said for the 2nd edition, but then it turns out to be nothing more than a X-box game, that they just happened to be releasing for PC.
Then there's Rainbow Six 4, which looks like it's going to be another X-box game released on PC. I miss the days of PC only ****it!