PDA

View Full Version : Combat Records

darkhorizon11
04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I was just looking for some numbers if they exist...

Its often argued which plane was the best fighter in WWII and I'm not arguing left or right. I was just looking for some number supporting aircraft lost in combat vs. aircraft destroyed for a specific fighter like the Mustang, Me 109 etc. I know in recent years the USAAF has a kill record deal going on of like 1:10 or 1:20 of how many aircraft they lose to how many they shoot down. Of course for a plane like the F-16 its like 1:70 (since one has never been shot down by another plane).

Keep it friendly I'm totally impartial I was just looking for some accurate numbers of how Spitfires and Mustangs faired against the German Me's and Focke Wulfs. Were any kill ratios like these kept for World War two?

darkhorizon11
04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I was just looking for some numbers if they exist...

Its often argued which plane was the best fighter in WWII and I'm not arguing left or right. I was just looking for some number supporting aircraft lost in combat vs. aircraft destroyed for a specific fighter like the Mustang, Me 109 etc. I know in recent years the USAAF has a kill record deal going on of like 1:10 or 1:20 of how many aircraft they lose to how many they shoot down. Of course for a plane like the F-16 its like 1:70 (since one has never been shot down by another plane).

Keep it friendly I'm totally impartial I was just looking for some accurate numbers of how Spitfires and Mustangs faired against the German Me's and Focke Wulfs. Were any kill ratios like these kept for World War two?

p1ngu666
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
think someone posted info on tempest
10 to 1 (one)ish kill ratio against the lw
alot where lost to flak tho.

tempests shot down 240ish aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

x6BL_Brando
04-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Like all statistics, and I'm sure that many records, in many languages (!), are available, they won't necessararily bring you any closer to answering your central question. It's well acknowledged that multiple claims were made in combat situations

tigertalon
04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
Of course for a plane like the F-16 its like 1:70 (since one has never been shot down by another plane).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

You are joking, right?

darkhorizon11
04-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Prior to Kosovo and it being approved internationally to be shipped to other powers besides GB, Austrailia etc (as of 1998). Only four F-16s were lost in combat. Three to SAMS and one to unknown causes.

But basically yeah, it is that good. Even the F-15 and F-14 aren't perfect in A-A victories.

Atomic_Marten
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tigertalon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
Of course for a plane like the F-16 its like 1:70 (since one has never been shot down by another plane).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

You are joking, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is an outstanding plane, that F16, but I really doubt that the survivability depends that much on airplane type. I'd rather say thats product of an excellent infrastructure around it..

blakduk
04-11-2005, 07:47 PM
darkhorizon11- sorry mate, Australia doesn't have any F16's, never bought them. We went for the F/A-18's instead, we're still waiting for the yanks to finish building the Jointstrike fighter to replace them.
To paraphrase a famous quote: the thing about statistics is you can use them to rationalise anything, 99% of people know that.

LStarosta
04-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Dude, PLEASE don't open this stupid can of worms again... It's old and we'd be beating a dead horse...

As for the F16, that's nothing. The F15 has over 100 kills with 0 losses.

fireman196988
04-11-2005, 08:05 PM
The F-15 Eagle has the highest kill to loss ratio with over 200 a/c shot down in air to air combat with no losses. What's remarkable is this aircraft is flown by many different nations and the numbers have been compiled together from all combat sorties. I'm sure the plane, tactics, ground crew, enemy opposition, AWACS, and other factors all contribute to the amazing record.

Happy Glocking,

Fireman