PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the Type VIIC U boat?

Dron22
01-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to this game and I am on my 25th patrol with a Type VII B U-Boat, I started in 1939 and I play 1.4 stock version and no mods.
I now have around 15'000 renown and just got my 2nd promotion. I now think if I should spend some and get a Type VII C submarine, but when I look at its characteristcs, I see that it has almost no difference to the Type VII B I currently use. In fact Type VII B has a slightly better speed. So what will I gain if I get the type VII C U boat?

I don't want to transfer to the 2nd or the 10th Flotilla and get a type IX B or IX C U-boat because I will be sent on very long distance patrols like to South Africa or Caribean where it takes over 15 minutes real time just to get there and there is very little to sink.

Celeon999
01-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi and welcome aboard. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yes there is little difference between the VIIB and C versions.

I believe it was a slight bit longer than the VIIB, recieved better batteries, and a slighty larger crew aswell (Just a few men more).

I would go for the VIIC nonetheless as you may not get all upgrades for the B that will become availabe for the C.

Dron22
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks Celeon,

I have tried getting the type VII C, in game terms the crew size is exactly the same and so are upgrades, I think they just get different connning towers but that's it. I could be wrong but I get the impression it's a waste of 3000 renown for almost the same submarine. I think I will reload the game to a save where I still have the type VIIB for now, this sub has been good so far anyway.
In real life the type C was slightly longer and modernised by a margin, interestingly Germany had only produced 24 type VIIB subs in total, but they build nearly 200 type VIIC during the war.

Celeon999
01-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Yep, the most produced sub type ever. But even the VIIC recieved a modernization with the VIIC/41

Improved pressure hull for greater depths, less weight due to usage of new materials , increased speed due to a improved shape of the bow and better manouverability due to a new rudder system plus reduced crash dive time.

The VIIC/42 saw a second improvement of the pressure hull for even greater depths but most orders were cancelled in favor of the completely from scratch designed XXI that was a true technological breakthrough in submarine technology.

And that in propably every aspect

- Hydraulic torpedo reload system that reloaded six bow tubes in less time than a single manual tube reload in a VII

- High-tech hydrophone system capable of calculating a firing solution just by sound contact

- 17 knots of submerged speed

- Seperate silent propulsion motors for stealth

- Space for 23 torpedoes

- Crush depth of 330 meters (1082 feet)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/2004-Bremerhaven_U-Boot-Museum-Sicherlich_retouched.jpg/800px-2004-Bremerhaven_U-Boot-Museum-Sicherlich_retouched.jpg

Dron22
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes I read about the XXI type submarine, in fact most submarines built by Americans and Soviets during the Cold War were based on the German XXI type.
I read though that they did no good for Germany as they came too late and only 2 have ever gone to sea. Apparently no ships were sunk by the XXI type as the war ended before they got the chance to sink any ships.
Is it the only submarine in SH3 that has a snorkel?

Pacific_Ace
01-20-2010, 06:02 PM
The snorkels in SH3 are broken. You can have them, but they are useless.