PDA

View Full Version : Clumped vehicals using DCG

ladlon
03-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Anyone else notice that things like tanks are merged together in a clump when using DCG?

I just got it, and the first mission I played had one group of tanks that ended up merged into two clumps... creating two 'tanks' with four turrets!

In another area, there was a convoy of trucks, struggling to get past a destroyed vehical, doing all kinds of crazy things (sometimes merging, sometimes doing 'syncronized dancing', never getting past the debris)....

I know it's really hard to program AI to get around those sort of things... I'm just pointing it out.

Anyone else notice those kinds of things?

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Its a common occurance in DCG, I am sure Paul Lowengrin the creator of DCG knows about it.

JastaV
03-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by ladlon:
Anyone else notice that things like tanks are merged together in a clump when using DCG?

I just got it, and the first mission I played had one group of tanks that ended up merged into two clumps... creating two 'tanks' with four turrets!

In another area, there was a convoy of trucks, struggling to get past a destroyed vehical, doing all kinds of crazy things (sometimes merging, sometimes doing 'syncronized dancing', never getting past the debris)....

I know it's really hard to program AI to get around those sort of things... I'm just pointing it out.

Anyone else notice those kinds of things?

It's an interesting question !!!!

It's due to more vehicle/armor columns spawning at the same location at once, or moving along the same route at the same time ......

For more detail report your questions at:

WWW.lowengrin.com (http://WWW.lowengrin.com)

See any of the dedicated forums.

JastaV
Il2DCG beta tester and Il2DCG TPC designer.

mortoma
03-11-2006, 03:02 PM
The strange "dancing vehicles" part is not linked to DCG, but will happen in Dgen generated missions and static user made missions too. It's just part of the way the ground AI behave due to limitations in the game code for the ground AI.
The ground AI is not very sophisticated to save CPU cycles and help your PC run the game faster/better. Good ground AI would require more lines ( probably subroutines ) in the program code and therefore longer program cycle time.

The clumped vehicles indeed may be DCG related as I have never seen that in Dgen missions.

SeaFireLIV
03-12-2006, 04:44 PM
This has been known for a long time, but few ever bothered to mention it because it`s such a small price to pay for a great little utility. Also, if you look at the tanks long enough, they DO try to separate, but sometimes just stop.

It`s a small point really and more to do with how ground stuff is programmed and their limitations in FB, IL2 when one tries to use it for a realistic ground warfare setting than any fault of DCG.

ladlon
03-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Ya, I'm not knocking it... Just pointing it out. Would be great to have a fix, but it would surely require a lot of code, as you say.

It appears that the collision detection is somewhat intermittant... Sometimes, you'll see vehicals merging, other times, they successfully 'bump'... as if the collision detection is only on intermittantly.

The occasional merge is certainly no problem... but the group of 8 or so tanks merging into 2 'super tanks' was a bit of a shame. I guess they all spawned, but didn't move, so it just kept building and building. You'd end up with a 4 turret tank!

Yup, just pointing it out... I realize that CPU power is best used elsewhere... otherwise I'd also suggest that trucks don't spin on the spot like they do currently(!).

Just throwing it out there... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers