PDA

View Full Version : must see. gun cam vid.

fordfan25
04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJDmuEuC8I&mode=related&search=

Its easy to forget how many died in that dam* war. makes me wanna cry watching that. i first started watching it wanting to see some of the real thing butr soon relized "thanks in part to the song" each one of those explosions ect was the ending of at least one and often times more lives. guys barly more than boys and some im sure could be catagorized as boys that would never grow up, get married have kids, buy there first car, see there mothers and fathers again. it kinda chokes me up a bit and makes me a litte ashamed that i get so much joy from a sim that recreats the he!! thay went threw. sorry to get all corny but...

Treetop64
04-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Not corny at all, bro. You've got a point. Playing this sim is a way of not forgetting what they real guys went through.

LEBillfish
04-27-2007, 11:57 PM
is'ok http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

fordfan25
04-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Not corny at all, bro. You've got a point. Playing this sim is a way of not forgetting what they real guys went through. true enough. of course thats not why i have been playing it. i have been playing for the fun and exitment ect ect all the wrong resones i supose.

MrMojok
04-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Oh resident Focker of Wulfs, it doesn't make you a bad person. You have a much better appreciation for what these guys went through than a lot of folks do, because of this game.

lowfighter
04-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by fordfan25:
i have been playing for the fun and exitment ect ect all the wrong resones i supose.

The real wwII pilots also had some excitement "playing" in the war. Some had more , some had less, as with any other human activity.
There's always that unmistakable spark in the eye of a veteran telling his tales...

Roblex
04-28-2007, 01:04 AM
We all came into this game for 'fun' but it was when I first started flying online and had my arse handed to me on a plate every time I took off that I thought "If this had been WW2 I would have died on my first combat flight without ever seeing who killed me" and that was when it sunk in that the real thing was no Biggles Adventure and many many young men must have died the same way.

Skarphol
04-28-2007, 01:59 AM
A little beside the point here, but at 11 seconds into the video there are footage of japanese planes taking off. Think they are Oscars. One of them is tucking in the left undercarriage first, then the right one, while the other is first retracting the right one, then the left one. Is'n that a litle bit strange? Wouldn't this be the same from plane to plane as long as they are of the same type?

Skarphol

Odirroh
04-28-2007, 02:05 AM
"
Its easy to forget how many died in that dam* war. makes me wanna cry watching that. i first started watching it wanting to see some of the real thing butr soon relized "thanks in part to the song" each one of those explosions ect was the ending of at least one and often times more lives. guys barly more than boys and some im sure could be catagorized as boys that would never grow up, get married have kids, buy there first car, see there mothers and fathers again. it kinda chokes me up a bit and makes me a litte ashamed that i get so much joy from a sim that recreats the he!! thay went threw. sorry to get all corny but...
"

You expressed exactly what I felt when I saw the vid the first time about one year ago.
The song suits very well with the vid and your words does as well.

Odirroh

rnzoli
04-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by lowfighter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fordfan25:
i have been playing for the fun and exitment ect ect all the wrong resones i supose.

The real wwII pilots also had some excitement "playing" in the war. Some had more , some had less, as with any other human activity.
There's always that unmistakable spark in the eye of a veteran telling his tales... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I had on my mind. They didn't go to war to die burning alive. They went because of a cause, they went to win their battles, and since they were humans just like you and me, they also wanted to have some fun and excitement in the process.

Interestinly, the more grim your reality or your outlook becomes, the more humour you need to cope with it.

And if you want to honor the memory of the fallen men (and women), just say a quiet "thank you" for the Refly button every time you stove your joystick away following an exciting and fun mission.

lowfighter
04-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:

Interestinly, the more grim your reality or your outlook becomes, the more humour you need to cope with it.

Yes, and we find that humor in ourselves, it happened to me many times to get more cheerful as things went worse and worse. It's amazing...

F19_Ob
04-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Its easy to forget how many died in that dam* war. makes me wanna cry watching that.

Me too.
I've seen a lot of that during my time.
Although one with time may get a bit num, there is still a recocgnition and understanding of what it is every time one get shot or get a kill online. For me anyway.

Perhaps this is a unique new way of understanding wich is hard to get from just reading about it? It's so much harder to simulate situations and events in the mind only.
We now have a tool for it.

In many situations one can imagine how it was to be hunted or how it was to hunt.
With some background knowledge it's not hard to understand how inexperienced pilots could perish easily in so many ways.
I got interested in the tactical and technical parts of aerial combat. What? How? and why?

Reading accounts an thoughts of pilots has advanced to a whole new level of understanding
since I begean simming.
I also remember more clearly than before individual descriptions of certain sitiations, when similar things happen online ( even offline.)

Personally I want that people learn about and acknowledge that these things and events happened to these people, more than Herofying just some people. (I'm not sure 'herofying, is a real word or if I made it up)

Later it actually made me more interested to record my mothers stories about wartime Finland.
I got to know so much that would've been lost forever if I just hadn't been drawn into simming some 15 years ago.

BaronUnderpants
04-28-2007, 07:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJDmuEuC8I&mode=related&search=

Got the EXACT same feeling when i wached it a while ago. Hard to explain, but i almost got the sence they are still up there......silly i know.

bdc_p
04-28-2007, 11:16 AM
In game you have the 'relfy' button, I dont see it there.
very sad.

flox
04-28-2007, 11:55 AM
The music adds a very poignant tone to the video. Good watch.

WWSensei
04-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Skarphol:
A little beside the point here, but at 11 seconds into the video there are footage of japanese planes taking off. Think they are Oscars. One of them is tucking in the left undercarriage first, then the right one, while the other is first retracting the right one, then the left one. Is'n that a litle bit strange? Wouldn't this be the same from plane to plane as long as they are of the same type?

Skarphol

Gear was raised and lowered on hydraulic pressure. I've never met two hydraulic lines that functioned exactly the same. Very possible for even the same aircraft to exhibit different behavior. Good chance on the next takeoff the aircraft raising the left one first might raise the right one if some maintenance had been done on it.

Sergio_101
04-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by flox:
The music adds a very poignant tone to the video. Good watch.

Neat mix of USN WWII Pacific guncam and video
along with a liberal sprinkling of Korean
and Vietnam era footage.

F4U-5's napalming snow covered cliffs in Korea
and the tail of a Grumman S2F- Tracker give a hint
that this is not all WWII footage.
other stuff is Vietnam era and Korean but is
not easy to prove.

Yes, it appears to be Oscars then Zeros spliced
in the opening sequence.

It also appears to be a Korean era shot of a
F4U-4 turning to line up for a catapult shot
in the first Corsair sequence.
They cut the film just before the markings
were being exposed that would confirm it.

Neat film anyway.

Sergio