PDA

View Full Version : Even in the end... Chump USA dooesn't "get it".

Worf101
01-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Comp USA just doesn't get it. For background Comp USA was the biggest "brick and mortar" retailer of computer parts in the US, possibly the world. They thrived and profited on the ignorance of customers to buy overpriced, outdated chit and think it's champagne. Mail Order started their decline and the internet sealed it.

I was once banned from the local store cause I ran into co-worker and informed him that he was getting ripped a new one for that outdated POS PC they were trying to sell him. He wound up buying 3 times the machine from a boutique builder for half the price.

Now Comp USA (or Chump USA) is bankrupt and closing all it's stores. I wandered in to pick over the bones and found a pile of Cooler Master Stacker 830 cases for sale there. They listed them as selling for $249 and had them marked down to $199. I hit the roof. I can get the same case for $165 delivered in 2 days to my front door. and Comp's price didn't include the 8% sales tax either.

Even in the end, they just don't get it.

Da Worfster

Waldo.Pepper
01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
All hail the invisible hand of the free market.

stalkervision
01-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Worf101:
Comp USA just doesn't get it. For background Comp USA was the biggest "brick and mortar" retailer of computer parts in the US, possibly the world. They thrived and profited on the ignorance of customers to buy overpriced, outdated chit and think it's champagne. Mail Order started their decline and the internet sealed it.

I was once banned from the local store cause I ran into co-worker and informed him that he was getting ripped a new one for that outdated POS PC they were trying to sell him. He wound up buying 3 times the machine from a boutique builder for half the price.

Now Comp USA (or Chump USA) is bankrupt and closing all it's stores. I wandered in to pick over the bones and found a pile of Cooler Master Stacker 830 cases for sale there. They listed them as selling for $249 and had them marked down to $199. I hit the roof. I can get the same case for $165 delivered in 2 days to my front door. and Comp's price didn't include the 8% sales tax either.

Even in the end, they just don't get it.

Da Worfster

I had the same experiance as you worfster.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

joejoemonkey
01-20-2008, 04:48 PM
i believe compusa was just bought by the people who own tiger-direct.

buzzsaw1939
01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Right on Worf... I'm told that the only store left is the one thats close to me, now I here it's going to online only, I hated going there, but it was the only place that carried what I wanted, being from the old school, I liked seeing and touching what I'm buying, I'm going to have to start buying online I guess, but it certainly won't be from them! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

RAF_OldBuzzard
01-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Actually, that ISN'T CompUSA. Not to say that CompUSA didn't have their faults, but at least this one isn't theirs.

It's a liquidator that bought out all the CompUSA inventory and is using the existing stores to sell it.

The first thing that they did was mark everything back up to full MSRP, and then started giving the 10-30% 'discount', trying to sucker people into thinking that they are getting a bargin.

Bearcat99
01-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I wen t through that with my local stores.. my main beef is that I bought a PRP for sxome Saitek pedals I got from them... then they went out of business....

sgt.dumpster
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
they never sent my " $100.00 " rebate check for an over price tower.i ve been waiting two yeas for it now and you cannot get anywhere by calling them as well -astrogoth

buzzsaw1939
01-20-2008, 07:35 PM
BC.... I'm not sure what PRP stands for, if you meen that extended store warrantee stuff, they have been pushing that very heavy for the last year, kinda says something dosen't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

M_Gunz
01-20-2008, 08:47 PM
We used to call them Comp-Useless.

Bearcat99
01-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
BC.... I'm not sure what PRP stands for, if you meen that extended store warrantee stuff, they have been pushing that very heavy for the last year, kinda says something dosen't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Yeah.. I find that with printers, joysticks and stuff like that they are good.

HerrGraf
01-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Funny that the stores out my way dissappeared instantly, but the Las Vegas store is alive and pushing a "10% to 20%" discount.

JRJacobs
01-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I worked for them in 98. They weren't too bad. Had a good rep, good hardware, and hired the "best" techs from "bbuy". "ccity", and others.
Then they were bought out by an investment group from Mexico City, Mexico, and everything went downhill fast.
Got rid of all the high priced help, replaced them with inexperienced Micky-D fodder, and started to stock CHEAP (not necessarily inexpensive) stuff.
They never recovered.
It worked out OK for me, I finished my degree and became an electronic engineer.

Oh well, too bad, so sad, bye bye.

Chris0382
01-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes. They look to ave gone all mail order by the looks of their website now; and even at that, they are much higher priced than Circuit Chity and Best Bug.