PDA

View Full Version : Please can there be a gunsight toggle in SoW:BoB?

AWL_Spinner
09-17-2006, 09:08 AM
I fear from the (wonderful) in-hangar screenie from BoB that we'll have another round of always-on gunsights.

I've read so many accounts of pilots engaging their sights only when going into battle it'd be a shame to have them permanently enabled in SoW like they are in IL2.

For reasons of (I guess) bulb wear and visual distraction they were NOT always on and it'd be nice to have the choice.

Of course, this may be coded in already, I'm just pre-emptively worried.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kind regards, Spinner

sudoku1941
09-17-2006, 12:34 PM
This would be a nice thing to have, just an additional toggle command, but it's not really any kind of showstopper.

For one thing, one rarely has to fly a mission that's long enough for bulb wear to ever be a problem.

However, I have read some accounts of pilots losing scoring opportunities because they forgot to turn their sight on and blew the shot.

VW-IceFire
09-17-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm hoping that we get some gunsight toggle options. Like being able to set the ring distance so I can use the outside ring to better calculate distance and lead for my shots.

AWL_Spinner
09-17-2006, 05:02 PM
This would be a nice thing to have, just an additional toggle command, but it's not really any kind of showstopper.

You're right, it's not a show stopper and I won't cry myself to sleep for weeks if you can't turn the thing off; it's just one of those little details which won't add much complexity to the code but will add nicely to the immersion.

IMHO.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
09-18-2006, 03:01 AM
The Shockwave He 219 has a gunsight toggle command, and, because FS2004 uses 6 DOF, you have to correctly position your head to see the pale orange cross hairs. You can also adjust their brightness. Let me tell you, this is a kick! Learning to set up shots is great fun. Being able to select rings to fit your target wingspan would be great.

SeaFireLIV
09-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by sudoku1941:

For one thing, one rarely has to fly a mission that's long enough for bulb wear to ever be a problem.

But Oleg`s BOB is reported to having aircraft that suffer wear and tear over several missions in a campaign. So this would be quite viable to have.

RegRag1977
09-18-2006, 11:40 AM
You can also adjust their brightness

Yes we need that to! Some gunsight in the IL2 series are simply too bright, and it can make lose good visibility when shooting at a long range target (especially ground targets).

This option would be cool!

AWL_Spinner
09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
For one thing, one rarely has to fly a mission that's long enough for bulb wear to ever be a problem

Some of the 3D cockpits in IL2 feature spare reflector bulbs, not that you have to use them with the always-on Gunsight (tm).

Anyways, I just want to be able to turn the thing off when I'm just cruising about, landing, formating, etc., just like those folks in real life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
09-25-2006, 11:14 AM
For a mere second, I thought you where going to whine about the "my-gunsight-is-not-centered" thingie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

horseback
09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
Take a look at the right hand side of the Spit I's cockpit, on the sidewall near the upper right corner of the instrument panel. There's a little rack for about four replacement light bulbs-for the gunsight. They could and did give out at the MOST inopportune times...

Bulbs, especially DC powered bulbs, didn't have anything like the reliability and durability we take for granted today. Most probable times for them to blow would be at turn-on or after being physically jarred.

cheers

horseback

Philipscdrw
09-27-2006, 09:34 AM
FOUR replacement bulbs?

That's a very pessimistic estimation of their reliability, if the expect the bulb to fail four times in one flight!

I don't really understand how these sights were operated, but it would be excellent to adjust them like real pilots did. I recall a story where, before the war, a German politician (Goering perhaps) visited an RAF fighter station, and they had to be very careful as they guided him around the base, to stop him seeing that the calibration controls on their gunsights were marked Bf-109, Ju-87, Do-17, He-111 etc...