PDA

View Full Version : Lack of rudder authority

Catandra
02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I seem to find that once I've touched down on a runway, that as the plane begins to slow down, I lose whatever rudder effectiveness I had previously. Is there some trick to this? Most of the time, my plane ends up going off the runway with little that I can do about it except watch helplessly. The rudder just isn't able to turn the plane between speeds of 20-100 knots or so.

This makes for real pisser of an ending:
http://tongass.50g.com/zero.jpg

Catandra
02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
I seem to find that once I've touched down on a runway, that as the plane begins to slow down, I lose whatever rudder effectiveness I had previously. Is there some trick to this? Most of the time, my plane ends up going off the runway with little that I can do about it except watch helplessly. The rudder just isn't able to turn the plane between speeds of 20-100 knots or so.

This makes for real pisser of an ending:
http://tongass.50g.com/zero.jpg

Indianer.
02-10-2005, 01:21 PM
The rudder loses its effectiveness as it needs speed tp be responsive. I also believe the thrust of the prop allows it too work.

I'm no engineer but i expect one will be along shortly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

gates123
02-10-2005, 01:25 PM
If you use your rudder and tap your brakes at the same time it will kick in the differential braking as long as you still have a rudder that isnt shot up.

tralkpha
02-10-2005, 01:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Indianer.:
The rudder loses its effectiveness as it needs speed tp be responsive. I also believe the thrust of the prop allows it too work.

I'm no engineer but i expect one will be along shortly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
that pretty much sums it up
at flight speeds the airflow causes the rudder to be effective
at low speeds the only thing that can produce airflow is propeller blast but its not as effective becuase revving the engine can cause unwanted side effects
so your left with differential braking and braking in this sim can be somewhat frustrating

LeadSpitter_
02-10-2005, 01:46 PM
In the latest few patchs after 3.0 oleg reduced the rudder effectiveness's of the corsair ki84 mustang ki43 wildcat p40s zekes which is excellent solution to stop the so called
"ufoing" planes.

Also It seems he changed how much rudder puts an aircraft into a flopping stall which bleeds of all E which is a great feature and gives you a huge e bleed penalty for putting the ac over its edge.

This is an excellent solution to the problem of very arcadish looking sideways barrel rolls and fish flopping instant catch recover behavior some ac still have in 3.04.

This desperately needs to be done to many of the russian ac as well as the bf109 spitfire and 190 which still have the so called dredded ufo effect from extremely over effective rudders which can be used very violently with no consiquences and creates the UFO effect and instant flop catches. The corsair ki84 mustang and other had this same ability in previous patches of the game but have been corrected and i hope this is implimented on the ones who still need it.

The 109s spitfires 190s yaks laggs mig las need this done badly like oleg has done to the corsair ki84 mustang ki43 zekes wildcats and others which is the most excellent solution to the problem.

So hopefully they will add this to the ac mentioned above to reduce the flopping full 100% fast rudder response insta stall catches that do not initiate a hard to recover stall.

Its seems like a great solution to the so called arcadish fm problem making the game a bit more realisticnd I hope its implemented. All you hear on the forums are complaints about the spitfire being a ufo but fact is yak lagg la 190 109 spit all have the same rudder ability which does not put you into a flopping stall which makes these ac hover and perform som out of this world manuevers, tail slides or slide slip were ment to bleed off E not to hover around with your plane flying sideways while going in a forward direction.

I have no seen anyone post about this but myself it seems not many have noticed these changes but they are great.

Im sure you remember the corsair in 3.0 and the ki84 similiar to how the spit 109s and 190s are performing now.

I think they did an excellent job making the corsair p51 and ki84 somewhat more realistic and hope the do this to the others that need it done desperately.

As for ground handling holding the brake using trottle and rudder suppost to work as differential breaking.

I also hope the aircraft that immediatly nose over when off runway even slow speed gets looked at as well p40 ki43 zeke tb3s even with full back pressure on the stick.

EnGaurde
02-10-2005, 09:25 PM
i saw an airshow here in Aus once, where the pilot was taxxiing his aircraft around using throttle and rudder.

each time hed need to turn, blast on the engine and rudder it around.

i found this works for me.

if you need to turn, give it full throttle for a bit then rudder it.

swear itll work.

dont bother ruddering without a blast of the engine.

i can steer very well at all speeds like this.

arjisme
02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
When landing, you won't want to rev your engine to get rudder authority. Taxiing, yes; landing, no. Instead, use rudder and tap your brakes. That should keep you straight enough. Be careful, though. Too much brakes at speed will rotate your nose into the ground.