PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain campaign "Hurican Season"

AllorNothing117
11-23-2008, 05:14 AM
So me and my Dad "deskpilot" have recently started playing the "hurricane season" campaign, having never flown a campaign before. After abit of confusion we figured out what to do on the first mission. You fly a circuit with your friend in another hurricane and then land at an airbase. So I flew the circuit, landed at the right airbase, parked up, and wondered. "So what happens now?" Basically, what I don't understand is what I do when I've finished a mission, the campaign seems to lack instructions or guidance. For the first mission your just given a map and told to fly your hurricane to an airbase, I have no idea how you could do this without the minimap icons and waypoint markers on. So what I'm asking is, what happens at the end of the mission, what do I do? I believe after you land you are supposed to hop into another hurricane and fly back to the original base. But there is no "hop into another hurricane" button on my keyboard! Has anyone else played this campaign it's meant to be good but so far I don't understand why. It seems I spend half of my "flying hours" trying to understand what I'm supposed to be doing. All you get at the beginning is "Fly hurricane to airbase, fly new Hurricane back" with little instructions as to what airbase, what to do when you get there or any other information. Also how do you save mission once have done them so you start the next one when I next play.

I appetite that for some of you I'm probably coming across like an idiot, and I think that Dad "deskpilot" would have worded this post abit differently. Admittedly I'm in a bad mood have flown for about an hour, landed and then had to quit the mission because I don't know what to do next. I think it's because I'm mostly a console gamer and I'm used to campaigns, full of cut scenes and dialogue that really explain the mission objectives and overall plot. I appreciate that I'm basically just going through teething troubles, but I am frustrated at the lack of guidance.

Thank you for your Patients: AllorNothing117

Motion-Mx
11-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi,

All the instructions are given in the pre flight briefing,I think what you must do is preform a touch and go at this 'other' airport,and then fly and land back at the take off airport you started at. Switching to a new hurricane is just something to add to the story I think.

Regards,Ben

A way to confirm this is to look at the briefing map,and it will show you a take off airport,and a airport to land at,usually these 2 are the same,but check and see.

and may I also recommend the 'Douglas Badder' campaign ; )

Choctaw111
11-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Hurricane Season is a good campaign. I hope you're enjoying it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

deskpilot
11-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Ta for replies but they don't really help. how on earth is anyone supposed to figure out that when it talks in the briefing about landing at another base it actually meant performing a touch and go and returning to the original base? I respect the amount of effort the author of the campaign has put into what I am sure will be a good campaign but I really think it's not intuitive.

Enthor1
11-23-2008, 08:05 AM
From the briefing: ""One moment", said Sir Archibald, "it almost slipped my mind, I need a couple of pilots to make a run to the Hurricane factory near Middle Wallop. Get a bite to eat in the mess hall and jump on that transport you came in on. He's flying over to the factory to pick up some parts and you can bring back a couple new kites waiting there for us."

So, when you launch the mission, you have already arrived at the factory field, hop in a Hurri and fly it home, exit, click apply and go get a beer.

Some suggestions, unless you are into the full realism deal, switch the "No Instant Success" LIGHT OFF and the No Mipmap Path LIGHT OFF.

This allows application of a mission if you do not actually meet all objectives set by the mission maker and lets you see your flight plan on the map.

Purists cringe but in the war, survival was the primary mission and many mission goals went unfullfilled.

AllorNothing117
11-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Oh I see. Well i get it now. It's not exactly clear, it talks of "transports" i.e. not huricanes. I see. a simple misss understanding as it is written as if that is something I am expected to do. Thank you very very much for clearing that up. So if I fly this mission, land at the base, wait for my friend to land I should get a message or something to tell me I've completed the mission? Thanks you enthor for the reply, Thank you Choctaw 111 for not reading the post and thank you motion mx for well, for trying.

BigC208
11-23-2008, 09:21 AM
All or nothing, make sure you do what Enthor1 suggests. It will save you a bunch of frustration and time.

AllorNothing117
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I absolutly will, I am very greatfull to him!

gorkyporky
11-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I bet youre gonna have some fun wth this campagin, its really nice. Pretty much the only campagin i ever played...

coolinoz
11-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by deskpilot:
Ta for replies but they don't really help. how on earth is anyone supposed to figure out that when it talks in the briefing about landing at another base it actually meant performing a touch and go and returning to the original base? I respect the amount of effort the author of the campaign has put into what I am sure will be a good campaign but I really think it's not intuitive. sweetheart if you dont like the campaign why dont you just uninstall and do one yourself????

b2spirita
11-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by coolinoz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deskpilot:
Ta for replies but they don't really help. how on earth is anyone supposed to figure out that when it talks in the briefing about landing at another base it actually meant performing a touch and go and returning to the original base? I respect the amount of effort the author of the campaign has put into what I am sure will be a good campaign but I really think it's not intuitive. sweetheart if you dont like the campaign why dont you just uninstall and do one yourself???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@coolinoz Why dont you try reading the whole thread?

Anyway TS, if you like hurrys have a look at the 'hurrycats' campaign on M4T. Its short, straightforward and good fun.

Enforcer572005
11-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Keep in mind that this isn't as instructive or detailed as the consoles. It's just a ferry misn so you can probably kill the misn after you land and shut down at the base you are picking up the new planes at.

I wouldn't pay as much attention to flashes on screen about accomplishing the misn, achieving the misn goals etc, as they are kinda hard to predict and certainly hard to set up in the FMB.

Go by what the briefing tells you, and think about it as well. If you are instructed to pick a plane up, obviously with the limitations on this sim you aren't gonna actually change planes and get in a new one.

Once you get into these things (and this one is pretty good if I remember correctly), you will learn that you have to use a bit of judgement about when to end the misn. That's why it's desirable to enable the button allowing you to apply the misn without succeeding all the time (as recommended above). More realistic that way as well, and it allows a greater variation of outcomes.

If you have to intercept bombers, you obviously can't do much else when you run out of ammo or have serious damage. YOu may also have to land at another base other than the one you are supposed to. This is actually pretty realistic.

Nothing wrong or stupid about asking such questions btw.