PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

darkhorizon11
01-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice in buying a new desktop. I used to be really good with hardware but with college I kinda shyed away from computers for a long time and I've been pretty far out of the loop. I have a good understanding of basic things like RAM, HD, mHz processor but like I said its been awhile and things have really changed since.

Anyways with my minimal knowledge level I don't want to get to too risky and try to build my own. I'm just looking for an all around good desktop for no more than about a $1000. I have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse so all I need is a box...

Of course the main features I'm looking for is a good reliable gaming machine that will lastme a long time (this is a big investment for me), and it has to be upgradeable for SOW.

Right now I'm mostly looked at Dell and HP (I looked at FalconNorthwest and Alienware but well on my salary thats pretty out of my range.) I'm really not a big fan of Gateway, I had a laptop of theirs in college and it sucked, but Dell seemed good.

I know that theres differing opinions on whats best but if you could throw some ideas and some links out for me that'd be great.

CzechTexan
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm not an expert with computers but I have gathered some basic computer needs for IL2 over the years.

The graphics card is probably the most important component. You can ask for which one is best in the Community Help forum. I also just noticed a topic about about the GeForce8800GT card here in the General Discussion forum...it seems that could be the best.

1GB or 2GB of RAM might be best way to go.

New computers also have plenty of disk space on the hard drive so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I've also been looking to see what could be the best for IL2. DELL is my favorite so I looked on their website and found some really good deals below your $1000 price range. They also have refurbished computers with good deals. I like the fact that you can "build" what you want and add things such as graphics cards.

Hope this gives you some good basic info. Maybe someone else could offer some tips.

Jaws2002
01-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd say you better make one.
Big players like Dell, HP... will always sell you less for the same money. With this guys you'll allways get crappy gaming rigs. Usually they'll sell you cheap crappy videocard slow memory with some flashy expensive hardware that you won't even need.
Plus upgrading this proprietary computers is allways a pain.
Where do you live? In most big places there are usually good computer stores that will work with what you need not with what they get the most profit of.
If you don`t want to build it yourself find out what you need and have them build it for you. Many of this stores will build your pc if you get the parts from them.
Ram ius cheap now, So are decent cpu`s. Good videocards are afordable as well.
See if you can salvage somethig else from your old PC. (Power supply, Case, Harddrive, DVDRW, operating system). This may free up some more cash for the parts that matter more.

blairgowrie
01-07-2008, 05:18 PM
What Jaws says. Don't go Dell. Get a local store to build it for you.

Start with a full size server tower (some of the new video cards are huge) and a really good PSU like an 850watt OCZ, you can scrimp on cheaper DDR2 ram but get at least 2gbs. Stay away from Vista for the time being. Intel is currently the best bet for your CPU and either a 512mb ATI 1950 Pro or comparative Nvidia card can be picked up for a good price. Those components will run Il2 very well until you have a bit more cash for upgrades as you need them.

Good luck with it.

Jaws2002
01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Here are just some basics what you could get for 1000CAD

This is something I came up with in few minutes on the website of this Toronto local computer store.
Is just basic and and may not be verry good.

Most of those parts you could probably find cheaper. Anywhay you could ask around in Community help forum and people could start help you tweak that list based on their much higher knowledge in this respect.
http://www.lucomputers.com/aStore/default.asp?selection...m&usersysid=20958535 (http://www.lucomputers.com/aStore/default.asp?selection=system&usersysid=20958535)

As stated above that case is a bit small. A full tower will give you more room for the big parts and better cooling.

CzechTexan
01-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Ya, I forgot to add that finding someone to build one for you is the best way to go.

darkhorizon11
01-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Word. I don't feel comfortable with building my own because its just takes too much time and theres so much software and **** to buy from the mother board, to the RAM, to the HD, Graphics card... etc I'm just afraid I'll miss something or wasting a bunch of money on stomething thats not compatable... but at the same time... I'm open to having someone else help me...

darkhorizon11
01-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:

Plus upgrading this proprietary computers is allways a pain.
Where do you live? In most big places there are usually good computer stores that will work with what you need not with what they get the most profit of.
If you don`t want to build it yourself find out what you need and have them build it for you. Many of this stores will build your pc if you get the parts from them.
Ram ius cheap now, So are decent cpu`s. Good videocards are afordable as well.
See if you can salvage somethig else from your old PC. (Power supply, Case, Harddrive, DVDRW, operating system). This may free up some more cash for the parts that matter more.

I'll look into that Jaws2002

Airmail109
01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Core 2 Duo

8800gt

1000 (500 qid) dollars is pshing it though for a good gaming rig, 600 qid would get me a decent one here.

Chris0382
01-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Build your own. Youll never regret it if you plan it right.

AM2 MB= $75
AMD 5600+ x2 = $130
2 GB RAM = $50
Tower case = $60
Enermax 500w or more PSU = $100 to 150
Xtreme Gamer Sound board = $75
Video Board = $125 to $300 8600GTS to 8800GTS

About $700 to $850 for a quality system that you know what went into it.

These are just the specs Im familiar with. You have many options.

ZappaTime
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes, agree, build your own, its a doddle these days, honestly, the hardest thing is cable management and making a neat job of it. Go with the favourites and you wont be far wrong:-
1 Intel Q6600 quad core cpu;
2 Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 CPU cooler (cheap and excellent);
3 Asus P5K motherboard (P35 intel based chipset - there are a few versions depending what 'extras' you fancy on-board, in guise of Deluxe, Premium or plain vanilla) just make sure its one using DDR2 not DDR3 RAM;
4 2Gb DDR2 (2x1Gb sticks) 800mhz or 1066Mhz RAM from Corsair, Crucial, Geil, OCZ, or other decent known brand - RAM is really cheap right now;
5 Nvidia 8800GT (512Mb), or 8800GTS (512Mb - not 320Mb or 640Mb versions as these are old lesser performing GTS cards) or 8800GTX - depending on your budget, but shop around as GTX's which are probably just still better than the new GTS cards are getting discounted to below GTS prices);
6 Decent PC case - Antec P182, or 900 (cheaper but no dust filters );
7 Stick with the on-board sound on a decent Asus motherboard, or if you can afford it get a Soundblaster X-Fi Gamer card, which I guess aren't a lot of pennies anyway in the USA;
8 Branded 600Watt - 700watt power supply (Corsair, Seisonic, OCZ, Tagan, Antec, etc - modular ones are better, from a cable management point of view as you only use the ones you need, so in theory give less clutter, but they tend to be slightly dearer when compared to their hard wired equivalents);
9 500Gb SATA 2 hard drive - Samsung, Western Digital, etc
10 and a DVD rewriter, which are all pretty similar and dirt cheap.
11 Windows XP Pro OEM (Vista performs, speed wise, slower than XP in all DX9 games, and isn't seen as the best bet for gaming, despite DX10 capabilities which have yet to amount to much, IMHO.

You'll be up and flying in no time, with a bit of common sense when building - read the motherboard manual is the most important thing you'll need to do. Most of its default settings will be fine.

Zoom2136
01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
BUILD, BUILD, BUILD, BUILD, BUILD... your own

Its is very simple...

For about 1000$

You can get a fast Core Duo CPU (3.0) (about 200$)
A nice HD, 250 gigs (about 50$)
A good Motherboard (about 200$) either Crossfire or SLI ready
Either a ATI3870 (about 250$) or NVidea8800GT (about 300$) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif if you ever decide on a second card... ATI's Crossfire scales better and are on par with the 8800GT in SLI for about 100$ less....
Good RAM (2 gig) about 150$
A good PSU 100$(ultra makes good one for not much $$$) see here for PSU reviews http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

Don't bo bying a cheap one... your new hardware can fry if it goes POUFFF...

A computer case... what ever fits your $$$ just see if its well ventilated (about 50$ for a cheap one)...

This machine will get you to BOB with no problem...

Remember that flight sims are CPU INTENSIVE.... more $$$$ should go to de CPU and less to the video card... so if you need to save some $$$$ go for a ATI1900Pro video card (about 120$) still more then enough to run iL2 on perfect settings...

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-09-2008, 11:32 AM
You could always call Joe over at Magnum PC. They don't only sell parts, but build as well. http://www.magnum-pc.com

Not sure how far you can go with $1000 but you'll want an Intel mobo, a decent Core 2 duo processor, 2gb RAM and something in the 8800GT class VC.

They're flight simmers too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mortoma
01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
3 Asus P5K motherboard (P35 intel based chipset - there are a few versions depending what 'extras' you fancy on-board, in guise of Deluxe, Premium or plain vanilla) just make sure its one using DDR2 not DDR3 RAM; Why not DDR3?? A bad history? I have been out of the loop a bit too
for a year. I used to be a big time build-it-yourselfer until 2005. But kept up with all the latest new until a year ago, then dropped out.

ZappaTime
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Its quite expensive, certainly at the moment, compared with DDR2, just would consider money might be better spent elsewhere for bigger gain, eg CPU or g/card.
You pays your money and takes your chance, as they say. DDR3 will doubtless get both cheaper and better performing as time goes on, I ruled it out on cost, but if you have the budget.......

BSS_AIJO
01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
here you go,

less than 1k it will support quad sli, quad core and dual channel ddr2 up to 1066 as for lasting, you can swap out the lesser parts as the next 2 or three years go by.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...No=3484599&CatId=114 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3484599&CatId=114)

BSS_AIJO

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by BSS_AIJO:
here you go,

less than 1k it will support quad sli, quad core and dual channel ddr2 up to 1066 as for lasting, you can swap out the lesser parts as the next 2 or three years go by.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...No=3484599&CatId=114 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3484599&CatId=114)

BSS_AIJO

Thats a pretty good system, my only concern is that it's unclear as of yet whether the 680i chipsets will be able to support the newer 45nm quad core cpu's, which you would be upgrading to in the future.

ZappaTime
01-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I think nvidia confirmed they would not be supporting the new 45nm cpus on the 680i chipset, that will be achieved with their new 780i, which i think is released, after a delay, next month.
The intel p35 and x38 chipsets do support the future smaller die cpus