PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better way for AIW card users?

|CoB|_Spectre
11-21-2004, 02:53 PM
I really like my 9700 Pro All In Wonder card for its considerable multi-media features. The problem comes when you want to update drivers. The utility ATI has for removing the drivers, removes ALL of them...remote control, tv tuner, multi-media control center, tv channel listings guide and, of course, the graphics drivers. It takes me an hour or so to reinstall the stuff, which is particularly frustrating when the new drivers have issues not experienced in the previous version. I normally just install the new graphics driver over the old one, but some of the problems I've experienced could be related to a non-clean install. Thank heaven for the driver rollback option. Is there a better way to do it without having to "throw the baby out with the bathwater"?

|CoB|_Spectre
11-21-2004, 02:53 PM
I really like my 9700 Pro All In Wonder card for its considerable multi-media features. The problem comes when you want to update drivers. The utility ATI has for removing the drivers, removes ALL of them...remote control, tv tuner, multi-media control center, tv channel listings guide and, of course, the graphics drivers. It takes me an hour or so to reinstall the stuff, which is particularly frustrating when the new drivers have issues not experienced in the previous version. I normally just install the new graphics driver over the old one, but some of the problems I've experienced could be related to a non-clean install. Thank heaven for the driver rollback option. Is there a better way to do it without having to "throw the baby out with the bathwater"?

steve_v
11-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Never install one driver over another. Don't use the unistall untility you find in add/remove programs. Do use the separate driver/control panel remove options there. Should give you the upddate without uninstalling the media center.

|CoB|_Spectre
11-21-2004, 03:50 PM
The uninstall utility I was referring to was the one from ATI's website. At the risk of sounding obtuse, where do I find this separate driver/control panel removal thingy? In advance I'd like to that Steve_V for all the help he brings to IL-2 users in this forum.

Question update: I just opened the ATI Control Panel (got rid of that obtrusive CCC) and I see there's a button under the Adapter tab that says "Uninstall- to uninstall the driver (Advanced)". Would this be the one that will remove ONLY the graphic driver and leave the other AIW apps alone?

ASM 1
11-21-2004, 03:54 PM
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Driver Cleaner 3 - it's what I use and seems pretty nifty. Not an ATI tool but seems to do the same job.

Oh and I have a 9800 pro.....(not AIW) but the software DOES uninstall all the AIW stuff!

steve_v
11-21-2004, 07:38 PM
I always uninstall form control panel, add/remove programs. Heres a screenshot of mine that includes all three items I mentioned. Yours should be identical. Is there also a MultiMedia listing?

http://www.geocities.com/g8tr45/ati.txt

|CoB|_Spectre
11-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Steve_V, I checked and I do have those same items (mine says "ATI Control Panel", since I had uninstalled the Catalyst Control Center). Additionally, I have one for "ATI Multimedia Center 8.8.0.0" and another for "ATI Remote Wonder 2.2". I may give it a whirl through this route, since the ATI Software Uninstall Utility disrupts far more than is wanted.

Update: Steve_V, once again you have clearly demonstrated that you ARE da man! Not only did my other ATI drivers remain intact, the uninstall and clean install of the 4.12 beta drivers seem to have done the job. I play tested three missions in which I had experienced recurring significant texture loss and now they all worked beautifully with a noticeable increase in framerate. Now I can once again enjoy PF in Perfect mode with enhanced performance. I do appreciate you taking the time to help and share information.