PDA

View Full Version : Server advice

MZ6
01-13-2005, 02:47 PM
My machine is idle for about 15+ hours a day and I have a ISDN modem that's on all the time.
With a p4 2.4, 128mb ati radeon and 512 mb, could I set up a server, and how do screen saver affect the eserver. Will an active server keep my machine 'awake'

MZ6
01-13-2005, 02:47 PM
My machine is idle for about 15+ hours a day and I have a ISDN modem that's on all the time.
With a p4 2.4, 128mb ati radeon and 512 mb, could I set up a server, and how do screen saver affect the eserver. Will an active server keep my machine 'awake'

Troll2k
01-13-2005, 03:00 PM
The dedicated server runs in a dos box.So a good video card or sound card is not needed.Just enough to look at dos commands.

You can not play from the dedicated machine.

I am not sure about the screen saver stuff.Whether or not it afftects the server .Or whether the dos box running keeps your machine alive as far as the screen saver is concerned.Since there are no inputs to the machine.

I have no screen savers on my servers.Just have the monitor shut down after 15 minutes.

Taylortony
01-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I dont know, but if you fear its being under utilised perhaps you would consider this

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

they are using linked pc power to search for life at UBI's Help desk.......................... or was it Extraterrestrial Intelligence......... same thing i suppose, both will reply to you as quick.