PDA

View Full Version : Run FB/AEP 2.04, and FB/AEP/PF on one computer.....

Jumoschwanz
10-22-2004, 08:37 AM
During these transition periods when one upgrades thier flight sim to the latest specification, a lot of fun can be missed because the main servers do not switch over right off the bat.

The solution is a dual-boot Operating system.

I have the original Il2, FB/AEP, FB,AEP,PF and stand alone PF installed on one rig.
I run windows 2000. I had an extra hard drive partition that wasn't doing anything so I put the setup disk in and installed another Win2000 OS on this. When your rig boots up it gives you a choice on which Installation you want to use.
So I put the sims that were not compatible on two different windows applications and now depending on the mood I can join any online server and play with any of the sims. See you ALL online, S!

Jumoschwanz

We see below there are a number of ways to accomplish this, tks to the community for these thoughts. Can anyone comment on setting up Hyperlobby to boot the right version of IL2 when you click on a server? This is why I did it the above way. I did not think HL would know what to do with two versions of one sim on one windows, maybe this is a question for Jiri?

Jumoschwanz
10-22-2004, 08:37 AM
During these transition periods when one upgrades thier flight sim to the latest specification, a lot of fun can be missed because the main servers do not switch over right off the bat.

The solution is a dual-boot Operating system.

I have the original Il2, FB/AEP, FB,AEP,PF and stand alone PF installed on one rig.
I run windows 2000. I had an extra hard drive partition that wasn't doing anything so I put the setup disk in and installed another Win2000 OS on this. When your rig boots up it gives you a choice on which Installation you want to use.
So I put the sims that were not compatible on two different windows applications and now depending on the mood I can join any online server and play with any of the sims. See you ALL online, S!

Jumoschwanz

We see below there are a number of ways to accomplish this, tks to the community for these thoughts. Can anyone comment on setting up Hyperlobby to boot the right version of IL2 when you click on a server? This is why I did it the above way. I did not think HL would know what to do with two versions of one sim on one windows, maybe this is a question for Jiri?

georgeo76
10-22-2004, 08:44 AM
why do you need dual-boot, why can't you just have 2 installs on the same HD?

Cajun76
10-22-2004, 08:47 AM
You also could have merely installed the second copy on the extra drive, and used folders on the desktop to keep your shortcuts seperate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I have 3 physical drives at 3-3-and 4 partitions, totaling 450 GB. I intend to make two installs as well, seeing as I do have the room. Imho, the second windows install just takes up room you could use for skins. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif As long as the two installations are on different drives, it shouldn't be a problem. I've had two versions of AEP before along the same lines, no worries.

Jumoschwanz
10-22-2004, 08:55 AM
I just did it this way becuase once I tried putting the same version of Il2 on one windows installation and I couldn't get it to work, so I never tried it again. Will HL automatically choose the right version of one sim when you click on a server? I have HL on both installations, one HL for each of the versions.

I just went with a solution I new would work in all situations. Thanks for the new ideas! S!

Jumoschwanz

BinaryFalcon
10-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Or save a lot of trouble and just copy the FB/AEP directory before you install PF.

You can even move it to a second HDD if you want to, or, in my case, I tend to just drop the copy in my root directory instead of program files\ubisoft\etc.

It's that simple, the sim doesn't have any critical registry entries so far as I can tell. It'll run from anywhere once it has been installed.