PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between Dgen and DCG ?

MiamiEagle
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I would whats the difference between Dgen and DCG or Ngen please. Can someone clarify it for me.

Thank you

Miamieagle

MiamiEagle
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I would whats the difference between Dgen and DCG or Ngen please. Can someone clarify it for me.

Thank you

Miamieagle

jarink
09-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Dgen is the default campaign mission generator included in the game.

DCG is an add-on that is available for free. From the readme:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Based on the Dynamic Campaign Generator for Combat Flight Simulator 2, this program generates dynamic campaigns for both IL-2 Sturmovik, IL-2 Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters by Maddox Games. Over time, the front lines will shift, airfields may be captured and recaptured and objects appear and disappear. Squadrons will transfer closer to the front as friendly ground forces advance or bug-out should the enemy break-through. Armor, truck columns, and trains will also move from city to city during missions and ships from harbor to harbor, starting the next mission at the city or harbor moved to in the previous mission. Build ups of guns and armor will also appear at the "front" and captured locations will have new defences generated.

IL-2 DCG will also track plane losses, pilot deaths, and the replacement of both, awards and promotions, as well as the destruction and replacements of moving vehicle and tank columns, trains, and ships, and static ground defenses. All in all, DCG offers IL-2 players a dynamic world in which to fly.

IL-2 DCG can now fully replace the stock dynamic campaigns ("DGen"). If IL2DCG.exe is used to replace DGen.exe, selections from the DGen campaign selection screen will over-ride selection made in DCG when in single player career mode. See the Installation and Settings Instructions for more details. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What this doens't mention is that you can use the DCG interface to tweak campaign settings, unlike Dgen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

JastaV
09-06-2005, 04:52 AM
DCG is a third party product realized by Paul Lowengrin,and freely downloadable at:

WWW.Lowengrin.com

I'm using DCG to replace the in game DGen since a lot of time...It's really flexible and allow a lot of features and tweekening not available when using native DGen.
Can be used on-line and off-line...
These are also a lot of Campaigns designed for DCG that cover the entire WWII time span on most theater of operations.

A suggestion: give DCG an opportunity...It's free and you could easy revert back to DGen if you are not preased with it.

Try also my Great Patriotic War: Stalingrad Battle Campaign and Pacific 41-45 Campaigns
Both downloadable for free at Lowengrin site

JastaV

money_money
09-06-2005, 07:48 AM
One question i have about DCG is can u start a campaign in say 1940 and go through to the end of the war with the maps and aircraft changing as the months and years progress, or do you have to have a custom DCG campaign for this to happen? Also can you change all the default skins for the aircraft which you will see when flying, and replace them with custom skins?

$

Eraser_tr
09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
I've used both and haven't really noticed a big difference. I still always wind up flying the same missions over and over again.

Dgen, mission/campaign briefings are better, and in my experience, more air activity.

DCG you can use more maps/planes and comes with a western front/mini MTO campaign for the US and britain though.

WWSensei
09-06-2005, 04:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eraser_tr:
I've used both and haven't really noticed a big difference. I still always wind up flying the same missions over and over again.

Dgen, mission/campaign briefings are better, and in my experience, more air activity.

DCG you can use more maps/planes and comes with a western front/mini MTO campaign for the US and britain though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odd, I find the exact opposite. Far more activity in DCG than DGen. If you do end up flying the same missions over and over in DCG then you just need to go into it's GUI and change something. The one big advantage of DCG over DGen is you have the ability to mod just about anything in it.

JunkoIfurita
09-06-2005, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> One question i have about DCG is can u start a campaign in say 1940 and go through to the end of the war with the maps and aircraft changing as the months and years progress, or do you have to have a custom DCG campaign for this to happen? Also can you change all the default skins for the aircraft which you will see when flying, and replace them with custom skins?

$
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For most DCG careers, you start it within Sturmovik in the usual way (assuming you're playing full auto-generation with the DGen replacement option checked). All DCG campaigns have 'DCG' somewhere in the title.

There are the standard Eastern Front careers (Fighter, Sturmovik, Fighter North, Fighter Centre, Fighter South, etc) set up to play with DCG - however they don't say 'DCG' in the title - just start said career in Sturmovik, with the 'DGen replacement' option on, and DCG will run your full war career for you.

Note that this doesn't apply to ALL DGen careers - for example Battle Over Europe or The Last Days careers, etc. Only for ones that DCG has a template for.

----

tttiger6BL
09-06-2005, 09:08 PM
If you're flying the same missions over and over again, the most likely cause is that your mission range is set too short.

You really should get over to the DCG forums to pick up tips.

DCG isn't perfect and, like all computer-generated campaigns, the missions aren't as good as hand-written ones, but it is far superior to DGEN. You can customize just about everything in DCG.

ttt

faelas
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
There is absolutely no comparrison between the two. DCG is hands down the better option as far as offline campaigns. You can use DCG to do anything from changing the plane your squadron flies in mid-campaign, to changing the number of kills your AI wingman has credited, and even see a picture of him. You can do stuff with DCG that you can't do with DGen like specifying what mission type you prefer, you can choose a "night only" campaign (and then switch back to daytime at any time), you can change the skin of every plane in your squadron individually, and give each AI in your unit his own skin. There is very little you can't do with DCG. Oh, and it's all totally easy too. You can even set it to automatically work in the background, and even when DCG is not actually running IL2 will call the DCG program for all mission data. Another benefit of DCG is that even if you just set it to automatic and never touch anything, you will see that you get more variety in missions, flight paths, weather ect. Plus, DCG runs the rest of the war for you. You will be able to effect the progress of the front lines by killing enemy tanks. Unlike DGen, With DCG when you blow something up, it stays blown up. BUT the nemy might decide to send reinforcements! If you kill an enemy tank collum, the enemy may send a supply truck to that area in the next mission to resupply the ground forces there. You can destroy enemy trains to keep them from being able to retreat, you can blow away AAA guns today in prep for a mission into enemy territory tomorrow.

I can't say enough about DCG. Get it.

faelas
09-08-2005, 04:29 PM
A copy from another DCG/DGen thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Main difference between the 2 is that DGen/NGen are integrated with the Sim engine, and DCG is truly a 3rd party tool. ...

Lowengrin created DCG for IL-2/FB/PF as a similar type of campaign generator that he created for the CFS series. Lowengrin is not officially associated with Oleg, as far as I know, pretty much like me. He created DCG as a complementary tool to Oleg's Sim. On some levels, some users use DCG as a substitution to the sim's native campaign engine (DGen), because it has several features that can be tweaked, as mentioned in this thread.

DCG is much more than a campaign generator though, and I think people give it less credit than it deserves. Besides its primary perceived function, it can generate random one-time SP missions with certain parameters specified. It can also generate DF arenas, as well as Coop-Missions. It is a truly flexible tool. But the heart of DCG is really the campaigns (I say that in a shameless self-promotion to my own tool, UQMG, which is made for non-campaign players, and because I feel quite inferior to more talented programmers such as Lowengrin, Starshoy, Shift_E, and CrazySchmidt). It is quite flexible in setting the parameters for the type of campaign you would like to play. At one point, I remember ignoring the update work I was doing in my own tool, UQMG, for about a week because I was having too much fun with DCG. Dammit!

I believe both tools are outstanding. Considering what I know of the FB/PF engine, and how missions behave, the work on both applications is nothing short of amazing. Many users criticize the campaign behavior of the sim, but the truth is that it is quite complex to make software work, especially when the programmer is not getting paid for it (not sure what kind of compensation Starshoy is getting, however, I don't think he is a billionaire because of DGen/NGen alone).

I say use both for the strengths that both provide.

Demon/UberDemon
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mortoma
09-08-2005, 05:11 PM
I always found DCG hard to use. I did something once, ( although I still don't know what I accidentally clicked on ), that totally destoyed all my camapigns!!!
I quit using it after that. Once you know how to tweak Dgen stuff, it becomes much more powerful.
Not more powerful than DCG but I meant more powerful than it is in it's stock form. There are tons, literally tons of things you can do with Dgen tweaking. Don't let people fool you!!!

SeaFireLIV
09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
They`re BOTH good. But I have to say DCG is better if only you have the patience with it. DCG truly offers a pilot a dynamic world with conseqeunces to every action (how many times I say this).

DGEN`s main advantage is that it`s part of the sim so you get little or no problems running it. But you don`t get problems with DCG if you READ the instructions carefully... Unfortunately, some are too impatient to do that.

I do fly DGEN sometimes to see if it`s managed to do what DCG does, and while it gets better every time, it still does not match DCG. Sorry, DGEN.

MiamiEagle
09-09-2005, 11:28 PM
I want to thank all of you for your kind input. All I can say is that Dgen and DCG are very addictive. Especially the DCG. Thanks to Lowengrin and his program I"m still flying thru this program. Evendow the Pacific addition is very limited. It still gives us a different menu in wich to fly in and thus it has given us a increased pleasure in flying through this program.

Thanks again

Miamieagle