PDA

View Full Version : exaggerated fighting

Sarari
09-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I remember back in AC1 how the fighting moves somewhat "realistic" :P I felt like moves were perfect and they were pretty gory which made the fighting more fun.

In AC2 that kinda changed. Not to much, just a little bit. They added some new moves in it but it still didn't feel as good as AC1's fighting.

In ACB they pretty much just messed around with the fighting moves http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . To be honest, I don't even know where to start. The moves were extremely long. Like if I were to kill somebody with a dagger in a kill streak, Ezio would go up to the guy, stab him in the chest, then ribs twice, then back in his chest. I'm pretty sure after you stab a guy in the chest he's :P . And it wasn't only the dagger, it was everything.

Now, when I saw ACR's most recent gameplay trailer, Ezio LIFTED the guy up with his hidden blade, stabbed him in the stomach, threw him to the floor, then stabbed one last time. That is WAY to over exaggerated. It also might be more violet, but not as gory as AC1.

Does anyone else feel like what they are doing is to much, if not, please explain.

itsamea-mario
09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
It does seem there's less weight to the fighting.

Velvit
09-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't mind if there is not too much of it.
They're trying to raise Ezio's "coolness factor"

Sarari
09-28-2011, 03:29 PM
If you go back to AC1 you'll see a huge difference in the fighting, and personally I think AC1 fighting was so much more fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Nader-Abudiix
09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
i like the new fighting moves and kill streaks because it makes you like that badass ezio from the E3 2011 CG trailer... i hope in the next ac we get to try dual wielding swords with killstreak, it skreams EPICNESS http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Animuses
09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
I thought the kills in AC2 were the best. Watching a guards slide down a spear, the hidden blade stomach jab, and a nonchalant push after stabbing a guard with an axe. The kills in Brotherhood were meh due to the execution streaks, but it's obvious Revelations improved them.

Sarari
09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Nader-Abudiix:
i like the new fighting moves and kill streaks because it makes you like that badass ezio from the E3 2011 CG trailer... i hope in the next ac we get to try dual wielding swords with killstreak, it skreams EPICNESS http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
Yea It would be cool to fight like in the E3 trailer, but the problem is he doesn't. He overdoes his killing. If he slit a guy throat, he'd go back and stab 5 more times lol. In E3 they're short fighting counters.

CRUDFACE
09-28-2011, 03:33 PM
It's supposed to be more showy than functional as well as brutal. Remember in ACB when Ezio stabs his sword into someone's chest? They're basically dead, but then he shoots them as well. It looks cool, but that's all.

In the AC2 dev diaries, they emphasis the coolness and brutality of it.

Sarari
09-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
I thought the kills in AC2 were the best. Watching a guards slide down a spear, the hidden blade stomach jab, and a nonchalant push after stabbing a guard with an axe. The kills in Brotherhood were meh due to the execution streaks, but it's obvious Revelations improved them.
Yes those were very cool hahaha :P But the blood and the flow wasn't as good in my opinion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sarari
09-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Also sorry if I accidentally deleted someones comment :/

Animuses
09-28-2011, 03:36 PM
The blood was so unrealistic, but so cool.

Sarari
09-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
The blood was so unrealistic, but so cool.
lol I guess you can say that :P

Serrachio
09-28-2011, 03:46 PM
One thing I found rather silly is how Ezio can jump over to an enemy in the same stance and not move in any way, before killing them with his sword.

Sarari
09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Even now when you hit someones sword blood comes out of it...........last time I checked, swords didn't have blood in them.

Calvarok
09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:
One thing I found rather silly is how Ezio can jump over to an enemy in the same stance and not move in any way, before killing them with his sword.
There was a small bit of lag between his hop and his attack, but that's actually less unrealistic than you would think. In swordfighting, many skilled people pause before the attack.

As for "exaggerated" fighting, I think the animations they've added are extremely creative and awesome.

Altair's animations by comparison were a little clunkier. Some call it more down-to-earth, and they're right, but I also call it clumsy-looking.

At the end of the day, being bound by the exact rules of real life can take a lot of the spark and inventiveness out of animations and gameplay.

Assassin's creed works within the rules of its own universe. That's the only way it needs to work.

Sarari
09-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serrachio:
There was a small bit of lag between his hop and his attack, but that's actually less unrealistic than you would think. In swordfighting, many skilled people pause before the attack.

As for "exaggerated" fighting, I think the animations they've added are extremely creative and awesome.

Altair's animations by comparison were a little clunkier. Some call it more down-to-earth, and they're right, but I also call it clumsy-looking.

At the end of the day, being bound by the exact rules of real life can take a lot of the spark and inventiveness out of animations and gameplay.

Assassin's creed works within the rules of its own universe. That's the only way it needs to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said.

ptenorio24
09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
What many of you need to remember is that Ezio has been fighting for the majority of his life. In real life, combat is quick and usually frightening. A skilled killer like Ezio developed his ability to stay calm under pressure during a fight. All that fighting usually makes a person paranoid, so when he overkills he makes sure his targets are dead and stay that way.

RzaRecta357
09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I agree with the TC.

Not sure if he feels the same way but I agree with ptenorio above also.

But in the end AC1 just had that real weighted feeling. I remember loving Ezios fist fight even though the animations were cheesy. But then once I got a sword I was instantly disappointed.

I played AC1 three times waiting for 2. It's mission structure and Desmond parts rocked but I just didn't like the fighting (Besides some of the awesome new double hidden blade kills) as much as 1 and didn't enjoy Ezio as much.

However as I type about it I remember that I loved disarming people in AC2. Something I rarely did in ACB with the chain kills. I really dislike the chain kills.

The hook blade animation seems sketchy sometimes but the actual moves themselves are fairly cool.

Doubt an old guy would do a running flip over with the hook blade then stab in the back as he rolls over him type thing though.

I think i'll enjoy Ezio alot more now that he's older also.

NewBlade200
09-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I think Ezio just tries to impress the ladies while fighting. After all, they do just watch when killing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Sarari
09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
I agree with the TC.

Not sure if he feels the same way but I agree with ptenorio above also.

But in the end AC1 just had that real weighted feeling. I remember loving Ezios fist fight even though the animations were cheesy. But then once I got a sword I was instantly disappointed.

I played AC1 three times waiting for 2. It's mission structure and Desmond parts rocked but I just didn't like the fighting (Besides some of the awesome new double hidden blade kills) as much as 1 and didn't enjoy Ezio as much.

However as I type about it I remember that I loved disarming people in AC2. Something I rarely did in ACB with the chain kills. I really dislike the chain kills.

The hook blade animation seems sketchy sometimes but the actual moves themselves are fairly cool.

Doubt an old guy would do a running flip over with the hook blade then stab in the back as he rolls over him type thing though.

I think i'll enjoy Ezio alot more now that he's older also.
Thank you. At least someone agrees with me on that lol.

DavisP92
09-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Okay so Ezio's kills are sick and fun to look at. But I would rather have kills like in the e3 trailer. It makes the assassin more badass, because he moves on to the next enemy.

One move i want ezio or the new assassin to do is, when ezio gets hit by the arrow in the e3 trailer. the first guy he gets to, he ends up jumping off a rock and lands, with his feet, on his head and does a safety roll. that was sick.

Sarari
09-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I want him to be able to react to like almost ANYTHING that comes to him, just like the E3 trailer. He didn't focus on brutally killing one guy then moving on to the next. He just made sure that one guy was either killed or hurt and immediately goes on to the next guy.

Jexx21
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Pdavis3:
Okay so Ezio's kills are sick and fun to look at. But I would rather have kills like in the e3 trailer. It makes the assassin more badass, because he moves on to the next enemy.

One move i want ezio or the new assassin to do is, when ezio gets hit by the arrow in the e3 trailer. the first guy he gets to, he ends up jumping off a rock and lands, with his feet, on his head and does a safety roll. that was sick.

I think we'll have more kills like that first one in the E3 trailer, since we've been seeing some more cinematic kills in the game-play vids.

I personally think that AC1 had the most bland combat, and I liked the combat of the later games better.

But I enjoyed the combat from all the games honestly.

Calvarok
09-28-2011, 10:05 PM
As a comparison AC free-running has never been all that realistic, in how easily you can hop from beam to beam.

SleezeRocker
09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Sarari:
Like if I were to kill somebody with a dagger in a kill streak, Ezio would go up to the guy, stab him in the chest, then ribs twice, then back in his chest. I'm pretty sure after you stab a guy in the chest he's :P.

Depends.
You can stab a man in the chest but he own't Instantly die. you puncture the lung and probably give the victim a pneumothorax(air in chest-can give abnormal pressure sensation in chest). But multiple stabs means more damage, so noto nly will the victim have pneumothorax, but eventually with more stabs he may get a hemothorax (blood in the chest cavity). So that's hwy ezio shanks a guard multiple times *nods head* http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Calvarok
09-28-2011, 10:23 PM
More stabs means more blood loss, which means the victim is more quickly incapacitated. People do incredible things in their last moments of life. Three fluid stabs/slices is not overkill at all. In fact, it's probably the safest thing to do.

itsamea-mario
09-29-2011, 01:00 AM
But if your stabbed in the heart, your dead, there's no two ways about that.

Blind2Society
09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Come on now, it's a video game. These kills are there for visual effect. If there was only one or two basic kill animations people would get bored and things would get stale. In fact this happens anyway even with all the options we have.

eagleforlife1
09-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:

To quote the Spartans: IF.

Calvarok
09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
Unfortunately, the armor of a guard is usually heaviest over his chest.

CRUDFACE
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
Unfortunately, the armor of a guard is usually heaviest over his chest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that matters as the moves that Ezio uses don't always depend on the guard. I've killed a guard by stabbing him through the chest with a hidden and assassination style.

apresmode
09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
The brutality is not just for coolness sake. He's gotta make an impression on the others watching. Scare the guards. Let the city folk know that there's someone out there who will repeatedly stab you in the chest and then shoot you in the face if you mess around too much.

Calvarok
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by t260z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
Unfortunately, the armor of a guard is usually heaviest over his chest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that matters as the moves that Ezio uses don't always depend on the guard. I've killed a guard by stabbing him through the chest with a hidden and assassination style. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know they're not context sensitive,b ut that's because Ubisoft doesn't have the resources to make them so. You've got to accept some blurring of realism with animations that have to work on every guard.

But if you're looking for an actual explanation, the fact that guards have heavier armor around weaks spots explains the multiple wounds.

And to apres, I think that being skilled at combat will make an impression no matter if you try to or not.

An AC dev said that in AC2 and Brotherhood, Ezio was practicing a fighting style kinda like mixed martial arts. In Revelations, he's moved more into a Krav Maga style, really brutal and efficent.

None of Ezio's moves are fancy for fancy's sake, they're unpredictable and dominating.

AltairsFinger
09-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Ezio is a hybrid MACHINE! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

LightRey
09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by AltairsFinger:
Ezio is a hybrid MACHINE! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif
You mean like a cyborg, or like a combination of 2 kinds of machines?

AltairsFinger
09-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I mean like a "Those Who Came Before" Eagle visioned wrecking stab-machine / human.

LightRey
09-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by AltairsFinger:
I mean like a "Those Who Came Before" Eagle visioned wrecking stab-machine / human.
Cyborg it is. :P

Sarari
09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by apresmode:
The brutality is not just for coolness sake. He's gotta make an impression on the others watching. Scare the guards. Let the city folk know that there's someone out there who will repeatedly stab you in the chest and then shoot you in the face if you mess around too much.
Altair did that without "overdoing" the killing lol.

Even when guards chase you in the Kingdom part of AC1, they say "KILL ALTAIR!" hahaha because they obviously see him as a threat.