PDA

View Full Version : AC2...Crusade-era or not?

Guild_Assassin
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
I really hope this franchise sticks to the Crusader period. Was thinking maybe in AC2 they send Altair to European cities for hits - (imagine the castle climbing???) he could even take out a target on a ship crossing between Acre and Italy...

Cheezyb3an
11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Guild_Assassin:
I really hope this franchise sticks to the Crusader period. Was thinking maybe in AC2 they send Altair to European cities for hits - (imagine the castle climbing???) he could even take out a target on a ship crossing between Acre and Italy...

well, from what ive seen at the end of assassins creed, dunno if youve completed it or not, the weird pictures on the wall and the weiting goin from right to left, chinese/japanese style, thepictures of what look like chinese houses, and the fact that it says 1300 ad on it (i think). probably means that its gonna be some kind of samurai ancestor, which would tie in with the sword fighting and acrobatics and stuff. what do you think?

Guild_Assassin
11-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Haven't gotten there yet...but I hope not! I'd like them to stick with the period...Ninja games are a dime a dozen.

Ekardt
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Ive read it her and there in mutliple threads, and in the massive thread deciphering the gibberish all over the place at the end of the game. its pretty much confirmed AC2 will be based around a ninja in japan.

Guild_Assassin
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
That's dissapointing...

henrycole
11-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Is AC good in the first place?

katz_bg
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
It's too early to even say IF there is going to be a sequel.
But doesn't Altair die in the end of the game? I saw something like that in a ps3/360 video comparison. If he does it's really a dumb thing to give away the ending like that (just like they gave away the Animus thing (whatever it is)). I still haven't played the game, but I expect to have it later this week.

bokeef04
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
why is everyone assuming it will be based around a ninja? i haven't finished the game(let alone actually got it) but from what i've read, the only clues relate to Japan or China, and nothing specifically saying ninja, and their is alot more to Japan then ninja

Pr0metheus 1962
11-19-2007, 03:53 PM

I'm pretty convinced that the sequel will take place in Japan - perhaps during the Sengoku Jidai (warring states) period. This will allow the developers to make a game along the same lines - again with corrupt leaders controlling cities while the warlords are at war, and again with a group of assassins (in this case the Ninjas) in which our hero can work. Once again there will be some beautiful citadels and fortresses to play in with lots of potential for rooftop climbing and leaps of faith. Anyone who has played Shogun: Total War will be able to envision what an atmospheric game could be made from this era. If I'm right I think it will be awesome.

Seragath
11-19-2007, 04:02 PM
nooooooo...then i will stick with AC 1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

ynamite
11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Ekardt:
Ive read it her and there in mutliple threads, and in the massive thread deciphering the gibberish all over the place at the end of the game. its pretty much confirmed AC2 will be based around a ninja in japan.

pure speculation, there is no proof of that at all. If I was you I'd just wait and see, I've got a feeling we'll soon know a lot more from UBI directly about what's happening next. Looking at the way the story has been going so far, the second game could just as well take place in the present time. Maybe Desmond goes ninja, who knows...

tonymd
11-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I think the time period is very rich, and it offers more...we are all jaded with the Eastern ninja stuff...let's work on improved horseback combat...jousting anyone?, castle scaling, etc...When can actually move the period in the pre-fall of Byzantium...go ahead and assassinate among the Turks, Byzantine and Western Crusaders...Now ancient constantinople would be a kick to explore...imaing a bird's view from the Hagia Sophia! That will tie nicely and given even a richer story: who would you assassinate for? the poor Byzantines with their eternal city about to be taken by the Turks? The greedy Turks who just want Constantinople to fall to put in the nail in the coffin of the Eastern Roman empire, or with the ambitious Western Crusaders who have their eyes on the same prize? The story can get much deeper and much more interesting....the Ninja thing...been there, done that...be unique Ubisoft.

Guild_Assassin
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Tony - we're on the same page. There's so much to draw from...why leave the time period so soon? Constantinople is a great idea.

UrthVT
11-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Tony - we're on the same page. There's so much to draw from...why leave the time period so soon? Constantinople is a great idea.

To Move the Massive story Along. Yes Ninja Games are a Dime A dozen, ninja Games Done right aren't. But Jut slike Someone has said. Just because You'll be in Japan and china doesn't mean you have to be a ninja. But, If It does take place in japan But you still play as Altair... Are you or are you not considered a ninja. WHen you think about it AC is a Middle eastern ninja game.

tonymd
11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
UrthVT

While I agree with you, I think slowing down a bit and keeping us in that sweet time period, would bring something totally missing...I think many like myself are awaiting a medieval game done right...I don't want some fantasy ****...I want to be able to be chased on horseback by a couple of knights and actually have a meaningful battle...(see my previous posts about how it can be done using a system that would utilize momentum, where the length/timing of pressing the attack button, coupled by how fast you control your steed can result in a more potent hit that can dismount/kill your enemy)...Give me my castle, let me swim through a moat...let me infiltrate it at night and kill my target while he is making love to his concubine! sounds like fun! Give me guards that will when suspicious walk after me observing me closely...Have side mission with REAL impact on the storyline...where if you finished it, it impacts how easily the assissination is performed. Make Altair a little weaker...have the guards attack, aiming at different body parts, which each hit carrying variable lethality (I thought we were promised that laready http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)...Let me upgrade my weapon so that it can break a Templar guard...enough rambling, but you get my point.

ynamite
11-19-2007, 04:53 PM
^^
signed, thats me as well and when I first played AC and Altair took like 3 full blows to the chest I was like wtf? I thought a single strike could kill you if you're not careful, isn't that one of the things jade was on about all the time?

My theory about the sequel goes as follows:

AC2 takes place in the present. playing as desmond you'll escape the facility while more and more of Altair abilities bleed into him (the Assassins Creed comic suggests as much, found here http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/sircuddlesGHII/Assassins%20Creed/).
The goal of the game will probably be to avert the launch of the satellite, to find the holy grail or to recover other artifacts that will help stop the templars. At the end there would be another giant twist, what that will be, I cannot fathom. At the moment there are just too many possibilities with time travel, teleportation, genetic memories, holy grail and so on to really draw a conclusion.

Who knows, in the end it might just be an alien conspiracy x-files-style. I hope not, I love these historical uber-conspiracy-stories, as long as they remain somewhat believable. AC is still okay, but it's already pushing it with the "magical" artifacts and Altairs/Desmonds powers for me, I prefer the real, gritty and historical feel of the 1191AD period.

Spykes_wab
11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Until I hear Jade, Patrice or someone else from Ubi Montreal say that the game is set in Japan, then I'll consider it "official announced". As of right now, it's just a theory.

Guild_Assassin
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by tonymd:
UrthVT

While I agree with you, I think slowing down a bit and keeping us in that sweet time period, would bring something totally missing...I think many like myself are awaiting a medieval game done right...I don't want some fantasy ****...I want to be able to be chased on horseback by a couple of knights and actually have a meaningful battle...(see my previous posts about how it can be done using a system that would utilize momentum, where the length/timing of pressing the attack button, coupled by how fast you control your steed can result in a more potent hit that can dismount/kill your enemy)...Give me my castle, let me swim through a moat...let me infiltrate it at night and kill my target while he is making love to his concubine! sounds like fun! Give me guards that will when suspicious walk after me observing me closely...Have side mission with REAL impact on the storyline...where if you finished it, it impacts how easily the assissination is performed. Make Altair a little weaker...have the guards attack, aiming at different body parts, which each hit carrying variable lethality (I thought we were promised that laready http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)...Let me upgrade my weapon so that it can break a Templar guard...enough rambling, but you get my point.

I said it in another post somewhere, but there are elements of this game that could stand to be more like "Thief"...I'm not sure if it's the FPS feel that's missing or the stealth aspects that aren't as important, but the original "Thief" for PC was actually done quite well for its day. As far as the size of the game and the complexity of the settings, "Thief" doesn't rate, but it does have that intimacy of knifing people in the dark and sniping people/objects with a whole array of special purpose arrows that AC lacks...then again, maybe it's supposed to? Nice comparison is the ability to take a shiv to those friggin annoying beggars (or "harassers" these days in AC, right?).

Anyway - was just thinking about comparable medieval games.

sabres3819
11-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Why does everone say it will be in Japan?

First off those writing are chinese not japenese

And secondly, they have built it up so as you play modern day - it would be stupid if they go through different time periods like Japan, maybe the vietanmese war, play as a secret service thing, it is ridiculous

They said it would be a trilogy, this means that if the next game is in japan, the final game makes a jump of over 700 years - compared to 200 this is stupid making the second game basically useless

UrthVT
11-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by sabres3819:
Why does everone say it will be in Japan?

First off those writing are chinese not japenese

And secondly, they have built it up so as you play modern day - it would be stupid if they go through different time periods like Japan, maybe the vietanmese war, play as a secret service thing, it is ridiculous

They said it would be a trilogy, this means that if the next game is in japan, the final game makes a jump of over 700 years - compared to 200 this is stupid making the second game basically useless

****This Post contains SPoilers****
"Kanji"; The most COmplicated form of Japanese, Writing Was Born of Chinese Writing. YonaGuni WHich is a CLue at the end, and Is the name of a Sunken Island in Japan Discovored in 1985.

"The seabed contains what appear to be ruins of a previous glacial age and traces of terrestrial flora, fauna and stalactites that form only on the surface. Their appearance to structures in the ancient world have lead some to theorize they could be the remnents of an ancient civilization. Were they to be man-made they would be among the oldest man made structures at some 10,000 years old."

Which Means The person who Left the clues who was Subject 16 Explored that Island and Left those cluese because it play a very Important role in the next AC. It also Would Explain why The writng is CLoser To CHinese than Modern day Kanji.

That's why everyone Is saying it will bein Japan. Not to mention the Blood Drawings of the Old Japanese/Chinese Architecture.
NOt saying that the next one will take place in japan and only Japan. But Part of it more than likely will and all the clues are pointin' in that direction. So it is possible that the next one can take place part in the past, part in the future. But Honestly After ending the game Altair Has to find the other Pieces of Eden, and then re-hide them. I Think he's pretty much done with the middle east honestly. I'll Look at the map again and FIgure out where the Pieces seem to be hidden... But the most imporant ones seem to Be on Atlantis and Yonaguni.

UBIsoft wouldn't leave all those clues for no reason.

Automatiic
11-19-2007, 08:07 PM
how about this for AC2 and AC3

CAUTION! ENDGAME SPOILER OF AC1!!!

In the end, after Altair kills his Master, he is left with the Piece of Eden. I say that in AC2, his entire goal is to hide the other Pieces. Abstergo only saw where the Pieces of Eden were when Altair first saw them on the "holographic" map. In AC2, maybe the plot is for Altair to assassinate those who have the other pieces and then to hide them facing resistance on the way. Abstergo goes out to find them right? Well thank God Lucy was around because it was due to her that they didn't kill Desmond. They need him again. They need him to continue following the memory he has of Altair to see where he hid them. BAM. AC2 plot. At the end, Altair has finished and has settled down with some lady at the end of AC2. There goes the family line to eventually get to Desmond. Finally, in AC3, Desmond is no longer useful because they know the final resting place of the Pieces of Eden. While in his last few minutes on the Animus, he saw where Altair left his gear... locked away... He retrieves it which is where we begin. Desmond is now the modern day assassin in an older assassin's garb. His mission is to retrieve the pieces from Abstergo before they can use them but there's a twist... Like the Templars tie with Abstergo, the Assassin's that Desmond is involved with have ties to Al Mualim. Play with the ending how you want UBI. There's my version of AC2 and AC3. what do you guys think?

Automatiic
11-20-2007, 05:40 AM
/bump

Ctrl-Alt-Kill
11-20-2007, 06:26 AM
sounds like a nice idea Auto...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Chay216
11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I actually think Auto's idea is the only way it will work because China and Japan have nothing to do with the Templars. The only way they can link those countries is if Altair decided to hide the Pieces of Eden all over the world. What would be cool is if an assassin of equal power was after Altair. And maybe you could choose between playing the two characters? Play the side of the templars and try to achieve world domination. Just a thought.

maddog111
11-20-2007, 09:35 AM
listen...dudes..who says ac2 will be in ninja's thats so not true...and most of all..no1 likes ninja games...IT SUCKS!!

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 09:46 AM
There is a gianourmous chance that there will be a sequel.

Tips and hints throughout the game, show that it's a high possibility that AC2 will be set in feudal japan. Thats it. Not as a ninja, not as a samurai. You may just be a random soldier. And that's only if the game does go back into the animus.

I dunno about mr Auto's theory. It sounds cool. But assassin's are already well set up in the modern day... with guns, as are the templars. Yeah... I'd love to see a guy in an 1191 assassin's suit dodge bullets, or have half a chance of fighting..

The templars are in the modern day, which people who haven't played the game don't understand. So yeah, while in the "normal" world, they wouldn't be interested in japan, in the "normal" world, they wouldn't be hooking people up to a big toaster and send them into their ancestors' memories.

Play the game, complete it, understand it. And THEN say that the oriental theme doesn't make sense.

Chay216
11-20-2007, 10:29 AM
You still want to make the game as historically accurate as possible. You don't want it too over the top. It feels more real that way. I thought they did a good job of that in this game. The Animus seemed scientifically plausible. The piece of Eden's powers were a bit weird but I enjoyed that as well.

maddog111
11-20-2007, 10:35 AM
There is a gianourmous chance that there will be a sequel.

Tips and hints throughout the game, show that it's a high possibility that AC2 will be set in feudal japan. Thats it. Not as a ninja, not as a samurai. You may just be a random soldier. And that's only if the game does go back into the animus.

I dunno about mr Auto's theory. It sounds cool. But assassin's are already well set up in the modern day... with guns, as are the templars. Yeah... I'd love to see a guy in an 1191 assassin's suit dodge bullets, or have half a chance of fighting..

The templars are in the modern day, which people who haven't played the game don't understand. So yeah, while in the "normal" world, they wouldn't be interested in japan, in the "normal" world, they wouldn't be hooking people up to a big toaster and send them into their ancestors' memories.

Play the game, complete it, understand it. And THEN say that the oriental theme doesn't make sense.

What about Altair What Will Happen To Him...Atleast If We're in China ATLEAST I NEED ALTAIR...if u play with another soldier who thinks hes better then Altair..Then This Sucks

luke100
11-20-2007, 10:36 AM
stay in 1191 era
allow swimming
have an ENOURMOUS map where you can secretly cross borders and you even get to places like rome!
NO futuristic theme (its worthless)

Gabemon
11-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Most people seem to be forgetting an important aspect of the storyline when regarding the direction that UBI will take the franchise is the sequals.
The point in the animus is that it works on the genetic memories of Desmond's ancestors. The Assassin clan to which Altair belongs is based on the factual group of the Hashashin, outcast Islamic fundamentalists (with a twist) - this is why when in the Arabic towns the gaurds refer to you as "the infidel" even though you are neither a crusader nor a christian - and so you could not be a ninja or samurii as neither of these belonged to the Arabic tribe of the Hashashin. Indeed the only route they could take without changing the game entirely is to either continue with Altair in the same period (although this is unlikely in my opinion as the game has ended in the same year as the end of the 3rd Crusade and all subsequent crusades either failed to get off the ground or failed miserably once arriving in the Holy Land), or move to Desmond's period (implied with his use of Eagle vision at the end, he now has more of the abilities of an assassin?), or introduce a third new character in a period between the two. But whatever route they choose, by the very nature of the game and its storyline, you will have to play as someone of Arab lineage or Desmond would not have the genetic memories of them of course!
Just my two cents.

kicker
11-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Gabemon:
Most people seem to be forgetting an important aspect of the storyline when regarding the direction that UBI will take the franchise is the sequals.
The point in the animus is that it works on the genetic memories of Desmond's ancestors. The Assassin clan to which Altair belongs is based on the factual group of the Hashashin, outcast Islamic fundamentalists (with a twist) - this is why when in the Arabic towns the gaurds refer to you as "the infidel" even though you are neither a crusader nor a christian - and so you could not be a ninja or samurii as neither of these belonged to the Arabic tribe of the Hashashin. Indeed the only route they could take without changing the game entirely is to either continue with Altair in the same period (although this is unlikely in my opinion as the game has ended in the same year as the end of the 3rd Crusade and all subsequent crusades either failed to get off the ground or failed miserably once arriving in the Holy Land), or move to Desmond's period (implied with his use of Eagle vision at the end, he now has more of the abilities of an assassin?), or introduce a third new character in a period between the two. But whatever route they choose, by the very nature of the game and its storyline, you will have to play as someone of Arab lineage or Desmond would not have the genetic memories of them of course!
Just my two cents.

My toughts exactly. Desmond is Arabic, not bloody chinese or japanese or any other asian. Understand this! Also a lot of the freaky images have something to do with the Aztec and Mayan sun gods so perhaps Desmond may have to travel to South America or someting along those lines? Just a thought

PWNED PHAT L@@T

Tin
11-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Here's my 2 cents.... I think it will be set in China in around 1500, not Japan in 1300 as some have said (the date 13.0.0.0.0 doesnt refer to 1300 ad as some think, but 21/12/2012 in the Mayan calander, their armageddon).
On the back wall, it says "Within Emperor Jiajing sin and Quetzcoaltz's hunger lies the Answers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiajing

Emperor Jiajing had a failed assassination attempt on him, maybe this is something like the opening sequence of AC1 with Altair failing? Also, all the mayan references, the temple's depicting the sun god, Emperor Jiajing had built a temple to the sun god. Also, this Emperor was a keen collector of rare artifacts.

With the references to 13.0.0.0.0, 21/12/2012, on emails stating the launch of a ship, on the floor etc., and AC1 set in supposedly September of that year, what I believe could happen is a kind of "a few months earlier" kind of thing, with you controlling subject 16 with his memories of china, and also showing some of the stuff with lucy's killed friend. If the next game was a continuation, I dont think there would be enough time inbetween the end of the first game and the critical date at the end of December to have another 2 games (it was said it would be a trilogy).
Thats why I think you might control Subject 16, then the third game may show Desmond and some people that link with Subject 16 trying to stop the Templars taking over in December 2012

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by luke100:
stay in 1191 era
allow swimming
have an ENOURMOUS map where you can secretly cross borders and you even get to places like rome!

Why would they pull out the STORY for the second game you ...silly person.

What about Altair What Will Happen To Him...Atleast If We're in China ATLEAST I NEED ALTAIR...if u play with another soldier who thinks hes better then Altair..Then This Sucks

Have you played the game? Altair isn't the main character, infact, if you look closely, you never play as HIM.. only as Desmond. That, or they have exactly the same facial features, and a scar in the exact same place. Altair will die, Desmond will move on.

My toughts exactly. Desmond is Arabic, not bloody chinese or japanese or any other asian. Understand this! Also a lot of the freaky images have something to do with the Aztec and Mayan sun gods so perhaps Desmond may have to travel to South America or someting along those lines? Just a thought

PWNED PHAT L@@T

Why would he stay in the Animus, just to relive memories that HE doesn't want to... when HE doesn't NEED to. He SHOULD be looking for the other ARTEFACTS, which are probably linked to the chinese, Mayanese, bla bla fuc*ing bla.

But you then say: why go to China, he isn't Chinese?? He might got to South American... eh? You just said he was arabic... o.O

@Tin: Playing as 16 would be kinda pointless, no? He's already dead, we know that, so the end would suck. No, i think it's desmond all the way. With the team (of assassins) trying to sort out the templars evil l33tness.

Oh wait:

I missed that post @_@

Factually though, the point of the animus is to read the genetic memories. Of people. They are not looking at the assassins, but at Altair, and what he knew of the other treasures. Aside from that, they show no interest in the assassins, only in this treasure. Yes, you got the outcast bit right. But that isn't the point of the game. You could EASILY play in feudal japan, because the point of the game is about assassins. We have already astablished that there are a group of modern day assassins. And with the help of planes, they can fly around the world... to japan, and, since Lucy was on the animus project, she may be able to help them find the other tresures... in japan. Or any of the other half a dozen locations. >_>

I'm not sure if YOU understand the story, by the nature of the story, it will have to follow Desmond, not his memories o.O

Am I the only person whos played the game? Or understood...any of it?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by kicker:
The point in the animus is that it works on the genetic memories of Desmond's ancestors. The Assassin clan to which Altair belongs is based on the factual group of the Hashashin, outcast Islamic fundamentalists (with a twist) - this is why when in the Arabic towns the gaurds refer to you as "the infidel" even though you are neither a crusader nor a christian - and so you could not be a ninja or samurii as neither of these belonged to the Arabic tribe of the Hashashin.

Where is it written that the sequel has to have anything to do with Desmond or the Hashshashin?

Ninjas are assassin's too and I'm sure Ninjas also have a creed. There is no rule that forces sequels to have the same characters or to be set in the same area or to feature the same organizations as the original game.

Desmond is only one of seventeen people who have taken part in the Animus project. The others could have very different backgrounds and ancestry. That means that we could see a sequel that takes place in China, Japan, South America or Timbuktu.

Tin
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I dont think it would suck, it would open up more of the story. Also, if the game is set in 11/2012, and all the clues that are left are suggesting the big endgame for the trilogy is 12/2012, then its going to be hard to fit two games into that time?

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Beeryus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kicker:
The point in the animus is that it works on the genetic memories of Desmond's ancestors. The Assassin clan to which Altair belongs is based on the factual group of the Hashashin, outcast Islamic fundamentalists (with a twist) - this is why when in the Arabic towns the gaurds refer to you as "the infidel" even though you are neither a crusader nor a christian - and so you could not be a ninja or samurii as neither of these belonged to the Arabic tribe of the Hashashin.

Where is it written that the sequel has to have anything to do with Desmond or the Hashshashin?

Ninjas are assassin's too and I'm sure Ninjas also have a creed. There is no rule that forces sequels to have the same characters or to be set in the same area or to feature the same organizations as the original game.

Desmond is only one of seventeen people who have taken part in the Animus project. The others could have very different backgrounds and ancestry. That means that we could see a sequel that takes place in China, Japan, South America or Timbuktu. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yay common sense. infact, it seems very likely that mr 16 was Japanese, or Chinese. But most likely not Arabic.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by maddog111:

Maybe Desmond (Altair is just the genetic memory - he's not a real character) and the hero of the sequel get together for the third game of the trilogy. Maybe you get the choice of who to play. Maybe the third game can be played co-op or online. Who knows? One thing is for sure, there will be a conclusion to Desmond's story, but since it's supposed to be a trilogy that conclusion doesn't have to appear in the second game.

Another thing is pretty certain - if it's not set in the Middle East it's probably not going to feature Desmond or Altair.

I'm not sure why people are so caught up in the Altair/Desmond character - a sequel would most likely give us another character we'd like just as much.

Piecycle
11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Is it not a possibility that it is set in modern day japan? or that the futuristic setting is in japan, yet he continues to use the animus to explore the crusade era?

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Another thing is pretty certain - if it's not set in the Middle East it's probably not going to feature Desmond or Altair.

Isn't it just very possible that it might just be in 2012? Like the game IS set...?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Piecycle:
Is it not a possibility that it is set in modern day japan? or that the futuristic setting is in japan, yet he continues to use the animus to explore the crusade era?

Personally I think a second game set in the crusader era would be a mistake. I mean it would lay them open to accusations of just re-doing the first game - the kiss of death for a sequel. Plus, what is there left to do in terms of the crusader era? This game has all the atmosphere of the crusades so it's been done already. A sequel set in the same era would lose all the sense of originality that the original AC has. I think they'd be much better-off making a new and different world for us to explore.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:
Isn't it just very possible that it might just be in 2012? Like the game IS set...?

Yes but I wouldn't buy a sequel that didn't feature more genetic memories. In my view that feature is the key to the game's greatness.

Guild_Assassin
11-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by luke100:
stay in 1191 era
allow swimming

I totally agree - we have enough futuristic games...my thought is that this game didn't even need the whole Animus side-bar. It stands on its own as a crusader-era piece and I really do hope that any sequels stay in the same period. The mystical elements of the whole Templar, Hospitaller & Assassin orders are built in naturally and can be spun into many different wide-ranging concepts for any sequels.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Tin:
Emperor Jiajing had a failed assassination attempt on him, maybe this is something like the opening sequence of AC1 with Altair failing?

The only problem with that is that Altair is living in the Middle East. How would he get to China? How would he possibly be an accomplished assassin in China when he looks nothing like a Chinese guy and would therefore be unable to effectively blend in with a crowd?

I just cannot see how Altair can be part of the sequel. There are too many other people in the Animus program, all of them ripe for exploration and there's just too much scope for assassinations elsewhere in the world. I mean people seem to be thinking that the story will follow Altair but there's no real reason to do that. Remember GTA - that series has different protagonists - why should this game be any different?

I agree that China would be a nice setting, but if it is in the sequel Altair won't be there.

Tin
11-20-2007, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tin:
Emperor Jiajing had a failed assassination attempt on him, maybe this is something like the opening sequence of AC1 with Altair failing?

The only problem with that is that Altair is living in the Middle East. How would he get to China? How would he possibly be an accomplished assassin in China when he looks nothing like a Chinese guy and would therefore be unable to effectively blend in with a crowd?

I just cannot see how Altair can be part of the sequel. There are too many other people in the Animus program, all of them ripe for exploration and there's just too much scope for assassinations elsewhere in the world. I mean people seem to be thinking that the story will follow Altair but there's no real reason to do that. Remember GTA - that series has different protagonists - why should this game be any different? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the rest of my post, I said that it wouldnt be Altair/Desmond

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Tin:
Read the rest of my post, I said that it wouldnt be Altair/Desmond

Oh sorry I misunderstood. The only problem with controlling Subject 16 is that Subject 16 goes mad and then kills himself in a particularly slow and brutal way. I'm not sure how well that will go down with the average gamer, especially if they know his fate beforehand.

Anyway, this is all speculation. I guess we just have to wait and see what the devs do

Piecycle
11-20-2007, 12:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Piecycle:

Personally I think a second game set in the crusader era would be a mistake. I mean it would lay them open to accusations of just re-doing the first game - the kiss of death for a sequel. Plus, what is there left to do in terms of the crusader era? This game has all the atmosphere of the crusades so it's been done already. A sequel set in the same era would lose all the sense of originality that the original AC has. I think they'd be much better-off making a new and different world for us to explore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats a very good point.

I remember hearing something about one of the games being set in the near future. Perhaps we get to see desmond break out his assassination skills.

I think its obvious that desmonds story will be explored in the sequels. Also there were a couple references to altair having a wife or girlfriend or some female relationship. Perhaps this is developed in the sequal.

tonymd
11-20-2007, 01:05 PM
I think you can still continue the Hashasheen lineage/theme if you move the game to Moorish spain...Now that would be interesting! You would have multiple muslims kingdoms fighting amongst themselves with the Castillians getting ready to pounce on them all...Another suggestion is to move to Europe after the fall of Constantinople and the beginning of the Renassiance...How about assassinating amongst Italian states (searching for the ultimate Holy Relic?), taking sides on the Anglo-Spaniard war, etc...The story can easily move back to Europe...Moving the story to Japan wouldn't make a whole sense to me, but that's my opinion...BTW, the writings on the wall in the final chapter, include Hebrew, Arabic and Asian texts...the translation of the arabic word is "The great Earthquake"...Alzalzala.

Penlock2
11-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I think the game will be in japan in the time 1221 a.d just my guesss because I saw somthing on the far right sight of the room and no not the monkey on the window seal. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

theassassin_07
11-20-2007, 01:28 PM
why China..why the past?

what is wrong with modern day society?

Follow your target on the rooftops, climb well known buildings
i.e. Big Ben, Statue of Liberty, Empire state building, eifell tower?

Leaping across the roof of cars, huge country side, and you could have some like..huge under ground thing as your base..or something

Assassinate modern well known figures

George Bush..muhahaha

i dunno, im just bored =]

Pr0metheus 1962
11-20-2007, 01:49 PM
What's 'hudge'?

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
? Eh?

Hajj? Perhaps? Is basically the pilgrimage that muslims particate in. In mecca http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But other than that, I don't know...

theassassin_07
11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
huge 0_o

theassassin_07
11-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Ignore this post, i clicked quote instead of edit 0_o

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 01:59 PM
I can't think of what Hudge means. Apart from Hajj, something that Altair said to Malek when he apoligises rings a bell.

I made you lose your arm. Your ????.

That sounded SOMETHING like hudge.

theassassin_07
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
ZoMg..it was a typo 0_o

Merc_G
11-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by tonymd:
I think the time period is very rich, and it offers more...we are all jaded with the Eastern ninja stuff...let's work on improved horseback combat...jousting anyone?, castle scaling, etc...When can actually move the period in the pre-fall of Byzantium...go ahead and assassinate among the Turks, Byzantine and Western Crusaders...Now ancient constantinople would be a kick to explore...imaing a bird's view from the Hagia Sophia! That will tie nicely and given even a richer story: who would you assassinate for? the poor Byzantines with their eternal city about to be taken by the Turks? The greedy Turks who just want Constantinople to fall to put in the nail in the coffin of the Eastern Roman empire, or with the ambitious Western Crusaders who have their eyes on the same prize? The story can get much deeper and much more interesting....the Ninja thing...been there, done that...be unique Ubisoft.
As a Turk myself, while I agree that a samurai/ninja angle has been done before in games, and while I also would like to see AC stay around a European or middle Eastern setting, I object to your term of "Greedy Turks". I hope you're not trying to say something there!

In case you didn't know, in AC1, the game we've all played actually features Turks, voice over and flags. Whether this was intentional or a deliberate red herring to set up the next game of AC2 around the Ottoman Empire - which came around about 100 after the time period of Assassin's Creed, and it ruled for 400 years.
circa 1300 (a date we see on the writings in the bedroom), I don't know.

The "Saracens" in AC have a Turkish flag (red, white crescent), and many soldiers in the game speak the Turkish language. The guards around Damascus and Jerusalem say things like, translated, "Come here", "Where do you think you're going?", "What do you want". "Mualim" means teacher. There is also some Arabic thrown in there, which I don't understand so well, because Turkish is not Arabic, aswise, Turks are not Arabs. However Ottoman Turks were thought to use a mixture, just like in the game.

I had no problem with playing AC, infact quite enjoyed that there is a Turkish link within the game, as a nod to history, and a different culture that many Western gamers (i'm a western gamer myself) would probably never have thought to experience or appreciate.

But for the next game, I had wanted a kind of time jump for AC2, where we could have a new character maybe fighting in Medieval England, or around Europe. The Castles and Churches of Acre made me think it would be an ideal setting.

However, if the next game is is set around the Ottoman Empire, and I get to visit Turkish cities and climb the magnificent Selimiye Mosque of Istanbul, then I will be very pleased to experience that as the archietecture of AC1 was very respectful and beautiful. Climbing and free-running was pure joy. The lanscapes and views in AC were fantastic.

But either way, I hope the any such story from AC2 doesn't present any such "enemy side" as "greedy" or one dimensional. Considering the story of AC1 does a great job in showing the duality of conflict, and that motives are down to individuals, not nations or religions, this would be a theme I hope is continued with plenty of "good Turks", as well as good Greeks, good Persians and good Europeans in there too, not portraying any such race as a bunch of savages.

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Was it... oh, I thought it was a serious question.

There goes a few seconds of my life... god damn...

Edit @Merc_G

You didn't mention the Desmond element... at all http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Merc_G
11-20-2007, 02:14 PM

Edit @Merc_G

You didn't mention the Desmond element... at all
What Desmond element are you referring to?

AirRon_2K7
11-20-2007, 02:15 PM
SPOILER PERHAPS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME... ?

The main part of the game which is set in the future http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

ParanoiD84
11-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I like to se the Ancient Rome in AC2 or more of the crusades.

Merc_G
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
SPOILER PERHAPS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME... ?

The main part of the game which is set in the future http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
Actually, I'd argue the main part of the game AC is set in the 3rd Crusade http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But what about the future?! AC2 could be set anywhere.

It could be set in feudal Japan.
It could be set in Ottoman Empire after Crusades
It could be set in Medieval Europe.
It could be set in the Roman Empire.

There were atleast test 17 subjects, who i'll assume were all assassins. Desmond being the 17th. Meaning Ubisoft Montreal have the potential to explore any one of those in a sequel, and link them to Desmond, or introduce a NEW subject with a different genetic memory altogether.

------>!!!!!!!SPOILER!!! Lucy is something herself - perhaps AC 2 is where SHE takes a step into the animus and we learn about her past?

Ubisoft have so many options, but they first will need to tie up the Desmond story link, who they left there in the room, by the Animus. Meaning that Altair should be back for AC2 atleast, but perhaps with the Piece of Eden he can time travel to a different time period? Although I would have preferred loose ends tied up for AC1 and us going with a new character for AC2.

Finally, remember "Altair" is Arabic for "Flying One", hence the Eagle motif. And QUOTE: "It was mentioned in the UbiDays interview that Alta´r is not religious but rather "spiritual" and is the son of a Christian Mother and Muslim Father."

rogue_tom
11-20-2007, 03:41 PM
I would expect that ubi want to keep the main character as desmond. I can't see ubisoft changing the main character to subject 16 or something.

I bet you play as a half japanese half middle eastern person, with the game set in 1300 japan.

Merc_G
11-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by rogue_tom:
I would expect that ubi want to keep the main character as desmond. I can't see ubisoft changing the main character to subject 16 or something.

Well, the main character of Altair is quite a good one, which i love. He's obviously very cool and the time they took with making his fluid and eagle-like movements has paid off! But I was kind of hoping the story with Desmond would conclude itself for the first game and we'd see new blood in the sequel, a new subject - to keep Altair the poster boy of the first game, while introducing another cool assassin in the next to FIT that next time period (if it is a different time period).

Tin
11-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Penlock2:
I think the game will be in japan in the time 1221 a.d just my guesss because I saw somthing on the far right sight of the room and no not the monkey on the window seal. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif
The thing you saw 21/12/2012? End of the mayan calendar, armageddon

Originally posted by theassassin_07:
why China..why the past?

what is wrong with modern day society?

Follow your target on the rooftops, climb well known buildings
i.e. Big Ben, Statue of Liberty, Empire state building, eifell tower?

Leaping across the roof of cars, huge country side, and you could have some like..huge under ground thing as your base..or something

Assassinate modern well known figures

George Bush..muhahaha

i dunno, im just bored =]

No time to have it in modern day. AC1 is set in September 2012. What looks like the big final outcome happens in December 2012. How could you fit 2 games, they said it was a trilogy, into 1 month? Thats why I think it might be a kind of "A few months earlier" kinda thing, with both stories linking together and coming together for a big final showdown in AC3

sc0pes
11-21-2007, 07:04 AM
I BEG OF ALL OF YOU READ THE WALL
Emporer JIAJANG was a CHINESE emporer
and as far as i can figure, the hebrew on the wall has a numerical value of 226

226 AD the jews created the talmud - reference to religous books throughout the game.

226 BC there was a change of royalty and alot of people wanted the throne.
much room for assassination methinks however unlikely it is for a game to be based there.