PDA

View Full Version : Option to turn off profanity!!!

STUD76
01-20-2010, 06:26 PM
I like that you have the option to turn off Blood but I wish that you could also have an option to turn off the profanity! Assassins Creed is amazing with its smooth gameplay and beautiful scenery the profanity just seems out of place.

the amolang
01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
seriously, it wouldn't make sense for the devs, they would have to redo tons of lines and all that. It just wouldn't be profitable. Not that I'm against the idea, as options are always great, its just super unlikely...

TwinIltani
01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm all for options, so I voted yes.

Personally, I enjoy both the gore and the rather well localized profanity in AC2, but if it doesn't rock someone's boat I think they should have an option to turn it off.

However, with the current game issues, upcoming DLC and all the other developments, I really don't care for this particular option being on top of dev list.

TreFacTor
01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
just turn the subtitles off. Problem solved... but then you'd need to learn Italian to get the meaning of most of what's said in the game.

DLTyrus
01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Nothing important is ever said in Italian, so yeah, just turn the subtitles off and problem solved. Not that I really see why people are so appauled by bad language anyways, its everywhere these days.

the profanity just seems out of place.
Tell that to society in the 15th (or any) century.

Lazybeans
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM
And besides, I think everyone was thinking the same thing as Desmond at the end...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

OzDavis
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by TreFacTor:
just turn the subtitles off. Problem solved... Mostly maybe, but the 'present day' scenes with Desmond, Lucy and Co. has a rather significant amount of four letter words, starting with Desmond's reaction to Lucy beating up Abstergo secutity guards at the start and all the way through to his 'Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.' moment after Ezio's final cut scene.

BK-110
01-21-2010, 01:52 AM
I have are hard time seeing how the profanity seems out of place. You know, even back then it was likely rather normal, just as it is today. I'd say it would be more weird if there wasn't any profanity at all.

Bampire
01-21-2010, 03:13 AM
I'm the type of person who likes it raw... And I didn't mean for that to sound wrong, but it's the truth.. Hurr the truth. Anyway! I like something to stay as pure as it could. For example, you're going through a music shop and you pick up an edited version of your favourite band and yes they do have cuss words in it.. You listen to it and find the lyrics screwed up to the point where your ears bleed.. Then you pick up the unedited version! Success! your ears are fine! They're not longer bleeding from the horrific editing..

But yes.. I'd rather not have the editing, that's just me. Though seeing I am beat in this, why not...? As long as it's the O word.. "Option". GASP.

CEO_of_Abstergo
01-21-2010, 09:37 AM
NO. It is a game clearly rated MATURE, +17, for (as specified by ESRB label) Blood, Intense Violence, Sexual Content, Strong Language.

I personally think even the option of turning off blood is "clean-it-up-cheesy", and unrealistic cleaned-up language strings as an option would be too. Unrealistic because in real life, people swear and in real life, huge sword slashes do cause bleeding. Authenticity and good game-rep of reality trumps the fake veneer of cleanliness in my book. I couldn't imagine how let down or angry I would feel if a certain climactic moment instead ended with the character saying "What The... FUDGE?" :P

TheEpicWolf
01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
No. I accept that some people may not like swearing but you can't exactly get away from it nowadays so i say just go with it, i mean it's set in a time that lets you kill a guard and run only to come back and do it again and not get arrested and flung in jail.(I know Ezio would be and that it's mainly lack of databases that allow people to be caught now. but my point is even though i'm not condoning going into a busy street and killing someone, it seems stupid to take swearing out of a game that lets you kill anyone you see!)
So yes i would rather have swearing in it and like people have stated you can take of the sub's and if it's really bothering you mute the Desmond sections although you would miss alot of the story.

caswallawn_2k7
01-21-2010, 10:07 AM
yeah it's a bit silly to complain about bad language when the entire game is basically built on going on a mass killing spree, even if they did put a switch it wouldn't affect the rating, as they still rate on the full content, they wouldn't turn off the bad language then rate the game. also with the way the game is it would still end up with same rating as the main reason for it violence.

if you really don't like bad language you really shouldn't be playing a game that basically has you play a mass murderer.

Jack_Vykios
01-21-2010, 11:10 AM
You're playing a game that rationalizes murder, and you're upset by the naughty words said therein?

CaseDog1
01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I would like it becuse i have kids around and i don't want them to learn swearwords

Lazybeans
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by CaseDog1:
I would like it becuse i have kids around and i don't want them to learn swearwords
This isn't really a good game to have very visible to kids to begin with. You're running around stabbing people. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

At least the curse words aren't too prevalent in English, at least.

blarson11
01-22-2010, 02:05 AM
this game doesnt use cuss words in excess. they all seem to fit exactly where they are place. when desmond has his wtf moment, i actually said the same thing out loud as he said it. it is meant for mature audiences, so i put my vote as no.

TreFacTor
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by CaseDog1:
I would like it becuse i have kids around and i don't want them to learn swearwords Yeah, never mind the Spear to the throat, Knife in the frontal lobe, Sicilian reverse necktie that You perform every 3 minutes! Gotta protect the kids from hearing the words mommy says to daddy when where hugging at night!

I really don't get how you can play the game in front of children that are so impressionable, that they can't separate fact from fiction, or follow your teachings that they are not to use profanity. I have never hidden violence from my children, explicit sex yes, but not violence. They can see violence on the local news, and once they learn to read and pick up a paper, they are exposed to it all anyway. Add to that the internet, and there really isn't much you can shelter your children from.

Teach them well, and a video game will not be a source of learning for them morally or otherwise.

mantledarcanum
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Nuh uh! Rosa would be a mute!

TwinIltani
01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by aquarianfae:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

CaseDog1 - If you're worried about your kids' exposure to arguably objectionable content, then I'd suggest you make sure they're not in the room when you're playing AC2. The game carries the rating it got for a reason, and it's not the somewhat decent amount of obscenities that netted it that particular label.

drfeelgood8849
01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Sticks and stones.

mantledarcanum
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by TwinIltani:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aquarianfae:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

CaseDog1 - If you're worried about your kids' exposure to arguably objectionable content, then I'd suggest you make sure they're not in the room when you're playing AC2. The game carries the rating it got for a reason, and it's not the somewhat decent amount of obscenities that netted it that particular label. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes it can't be helped. I would play at night and my daughter would wake up while I was playing. She liked Claudia's dress.

TwinIltani
01-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by aquarianfae:
Sometimes it can't be helped. I would play at night and my daughter would wake up while I was playing. She liked Claudia's dress.

I know. I wasn't trying to go for the impossible here, but rather to point out to CaseDog that obscenities are really a minor problem with the game if you're looking at it from objectionable content standpoint.

I guess I just find it moderately silly that in a game full of things that may be found inappropriate for kids by a wide variety of people (bloody murder, prostitution, theft, ever present innuendos, sex), CaseDog brought up...swearing.

Rompipalle1488
01-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by CEO_of_Abstergo:
NO. It is a game clearly rated MATURE, +17, for (as specified by ESRB label) Blood, Intense Violence, Sexual Content, Strong Language.

I personally think even the option of turning off blood is "clean-it-up-cheesy", and unrealistic cleaned-up language strings as an option would be too. Unrealistic because in real life, people swear and in real life, huge sword slashes do cause bleeding. Authenticity and good game-rep of reality trumps the fake veneer of cleanliness in my book. I couldn't imagine how let down or angry I would feel if a certain climactic moment instead ended with the character saying "What The... FUDGE?" :P
Even if you're a Templar, I'd have to agree. :P

Acharel
01-23-2010, 05:50 AM
You're pretty weird if you think that profanity is out of place or somehow even remotely offensive in a game that's already full of brutal finishing moves, neck breaking, spear skewering, throat slashing, kicking someone in the nuts while down, etc. Seriously, I would be ashamed to admit it if my priorities were that messed up.

Cpt_Yanni
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
First of all, You're not going to tell me that Assassin's Creed 2 is the only game that you have played before with swearing? If so, then you just don't play it with your kids in the same room where they can see and hear things from the game. Damn, It's not that the game should change because some parents are not responsible for them? If you play such a game, kids shouldn't see this neither hear swearing. But otherwise, in the real world nowadays you can hear, and your kids too, every day a couple of swear words... On the TV, at school, ... The whole point is that this isn't a good argument to say that AC2 shouldn't have swearing in it, this argument only shows how irresponsible you are as a parent. Such games shouldn't be played when you're kids are around (if they are Soo young that they may not hear swearing), instead of changing AC2 you should play a game like Buzz or LittleBigPlanet when they are around.

spazzoo1025
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I like the profanity in Ezio's time, but it just seems a little much for Desmond to be calling everyone a bastard in every sentence

FiskMunk
01-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
I like the profanity in Ezio's time, but it just seems a little much for Desmond to be calling everyone a bastard in every sentence

I'm not sure who he calls bastard as I haven't played the game yet, but how do you know all those people aren't born of un-married parents?
Or are canines of mixed breed?

I believe the latter to be the most likely. No, I proclaim it to be the most likely. My will is law!

Rompipalle1488
01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
By learning how to swear in Italian, I can now call anyone whatever I want without the teachers knowing!
Rompipalle means Ball breaker, because I pwn.
And Grand Theft Auto is worse.
1. Because it doesn't teach you stuff.
2. Because Leonardo da Vinci isn't in GTA, and he's way too awesome to not be in GTA.
3. There are Rocket Launchers, Uzis, Car jacking, running people over in cars, and it's more modern, so kids know that it's physically possible for someone to do all that stuff nowadays.

I mean, hey it's alright to have a nice laugh, but you need to tell your kids to not do that sh**.

ahmynameisdave
01-23-2010, 10:49 PM
how old are you guys? grow the <span class="ev_code_RED">[Edit]</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">And you need to not bypass the swear filter...</span>

FiskMunk
01-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by ahmynameisdave:
how old are you guys? grow the <span class="ev_code_RED">[edit]</span>

Who, me? Or the OP?