PDA

View Full Version : MS FFB spikes

Sly401RCAF
11-22-2004, 04:07 AM
Hi Guys

I am running A MS FFB2 stick plus CH pro throttle and CH pro pedals (all USB via a powered hub) on a top spec machine using XP pro + SP2.

I get regular spikes on both pitch and bank axes and continually seem to have to fight the control force, Typically I will be in a steady state easy banked turn and all of a sudden stick force disappears and the a/c will nose up or bank hard...

This FFB2 is not that old and has not had a lot of use, I do not think it is a case of bad pots as I dont have any problem when I use it on its own on a Win ME machine.

I there a compatability problem if using CH stuff with FFB2?

Why if I switch FFB of in the game do I still have forces?

S~ Sly

Sly401RCAF
11-22-2004, 04:07 AM
Hi Guys

I am running A MS FFB2 stick plus CH pro throttle and CH pro pedals (all USB via a powered hub) on a top spec machine using XP pro + SP2.

I get regular spikes on both pitch and bank axes and continually seem to have to fight the control force, Typically I will be in a steady state easy banked turn and all of a sudden stick force disappears and the a/c will nose up or bank hard...

This FFB2 is not that old and has not had a lot of use, I do not think it is a case of bad pots as I dont have any problem when I use it on its own on a Win ME machine.

I there a compatability problem if using CH stuff with FFB2?

Why if I switch FFB of in the game do I still have forces?

S~ Sly

B16Enk
11-22-2004, 07:34 AM
'All USB via a powered hub' - have you tried giving the MSFFB a dedicated port?

I run MSFFB2 with Saitek X45 and CH pro pedals without issue, but I do have the MSFFB in it's own port. X45 AND pedals via powered hub. I agree your arrangement should work fine, but then there is nowt so strange as peripherals!

As for the FFB on when off, I've never tried it. Although I recall that centring forces remain.

Sly401RCAF
11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Enk

Thnx for the reply, yeah tried seperate usb port, and set to usb type1 in bios and no different.. BTW the mobo is not a via chipset (Nforce3).
Seems more like an XP "thing"
Anyone using a CH fighter stick + pro pedals + pro throttle?.... it may be my only way out
S~Sly

clint-ruin
11-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Interesting problem.

I've got something similar happening here. One of my older sticks won't work in 2k at all unless I hold down the trigger button [reduces the juice used by the stick, allows it enough power to get the MS Sidewinder digital chip working]. But it won't work in XP at all.

Personally I would go and try it on a different PC first off [pref with different OS and motherboard] just to see whether it's the stick or the stick+your machine in your particular.

Bearcat99
11-22-2004, 07:57 PM
How old is your stick? Can you clean the pots?

x6BL_Brando
11-23-2004, 02:33 AM
I'm not aware that the M$FFB has any pots? Doesn't it use an infra-red device in the handle for tracking inputs? It is possible to dismantle this stick, but be very careful if you do as it's a pig to reassemble IIRC.
Before you get inside the beast there is a thing which you can investigate...... In the handle there are two small sensors. Hold the grip as you normally do and then look under the knuckle of your pinky finger. You should see a small hole with a bead-sized sensor in it, and there is another at the top of the grip about where the knuckle of your forefinger sits. I'm not sure exactly how these work - but they are linked to a small circuit board in the handle, and and their function is to disable force-feedback when you take your hand off the stick.
So, if you're loosening your grip enough for these items to "see" each other then you will lose FF. It's not possible to steer by just moving the top of the stick about - you must be gripping the stick for it all to work. I taped over them once, putting a layer of foam around the grip, but the FF effects would continue after I'd let go which wasn't good.
Just another item to check...

B16Enk
11-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Can you post your Dxdiag? It may be an issue with your machine.

Sly401RCAF
11-23-2004, 04:03 AM
Thnx for the responces guys

The stick is getting on for 2 years old now but shows very little signs of physical wear..

I think Brando may well be on the right lines as the "spikes" could well be described as Forces suddenly disappearing and then returning with a "Kick" so perhaps these sensors have a problem

Can post my DX-Diag when I get back home.. I have had a look through it and it is not flagging up any obvious probs

Thnx again
Sly