PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the offline campaign...

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 07:41 PM
One thing that was really nice about Aces over Europe and Aces of the Pacific was that you could choose which units you flew with, and ultimately, what aircraft you used...

While it is true you can pick whichever aircraft you want to start with, if you start a career early in the war you are stuck with certain types of planes in successive battles. I think it would be neat that if you became a colonel, then you could select which aircraft your squadron recieves for the next battle /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I know this isn't particuarly realistic, but I think it would be a fun feature, and a good way to reward top-notch flyers who make it all the way to Berlin and want the challenge of taking up a 109K4, or an ME-262...

Just a thought...

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 07:41 PM
One thing that was really nice about Aces over Europe and Aces of the Pacific was that you could choose which units you flew with, and ultimately, what aircraft you used...

While it is true you can pick whichever aircraft you want to start with, if you start a career early in the war you are stuck with certain types of planes in successive battles. I think it would be neat that if you became a colonel, then you could select which aircraft your squadron recieves for the next battle /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I know this isn't particuarly realistic, but I think it would be a fun feature, and a good way to reward top-notch flyers who make it all the way to Berlin and want the challenge of taking up a 109K4, or an ME-262...

Just a thought...

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 09:35 PM
May be you know it already, but when you start a campaign you can select what plane you will fly in all operations, from 1941 to 1945. You cannot change it though (at least not via GUI).

XyZspineZyX
09-18-2003, 05:41 PM
Of all the flight sims I've played, Aces of the Pacific / Over Europe implemented the best pilot career mode. The units were tied with their historically correct aircraft and the appropriate airfield locations. Not only that, but the pilot quality of the unit depended not only on the date but on the unit as well. So, if you were flying a Bf 109 unit in 1945 the overall pilot quality would typically rate as "poor," whereas the pilot quality for the Dora-9-equipped JV44 rated as "excellent."

If the above could be implemented, along with the ability to choose (once the user held a commanding rank) the pilots to fly with for the next mission, then the campaign for FB would be, IMO, nearly perfect.

I/JG54^Lukas
He 162 A-2 Cockpit Modeler
...and soon the Hs 129 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-19-2003, 03:43 AM
Thank you Lukas! This is what I was comparing it to, and I am asking for a similar system of at least being able to switch aircraft if your rank is high enough!

I think that would make it much more interesting. What is the point of flying the Russian campaign if I like the LA-5/7 but not the YAK? I am out of options there! Frankly, I think the central russian campaign is boring because you start with I-16's (which isnt' so bad) but then you have to use YAK's (and in one case MIG-3's) for the rest of the time...not much variety really!

You don't even get an interesting varient of the YAK like the K type...

XyZspineZyX
09-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Akira_Koizumi wrote:
- Thank you Lukas! This is what I was comparing it
- to, and I am asking for a similar system of at least
- being able to switch aircraft if your rank is high
- enough!
-
- I think that would make it much more interesting.
- What is the point of flying the Russian campaign if
- I like the LA-5/7 but not the YAK? I am out of
- options there! Frankly, I think the central russian
- campaign is boring because you start with I-16's
- (which isnt' so bad) but then you have to use YAK's
- (and in one case MIG-3's) for the rest of the
- time...not much variety really!
-
- You don't even get an interesting varient of the YAK
- like the K type...
-
-

I would love to see more historical accuracy in the campaigns, although I'm sure there are those who like to be able to fly in their "favorite" plane, with their "favorite" unit, in their "favorite" battle regardless of the real history, and who would whine like hell if you put restrictions on them.

Nonetheless, editing the aircraft you receive during a campaign is very easy. Try this link:

http://oldsite.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=98;t=000239

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-19-2003, 10:03 PM
You are a God-send, Davis! Thank you! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif