PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the ships gone?

BillSeiko
06-27-2005, 11:16 AM
I have just done my 6th patrol, patrols done so far AN47, AN84, AN81 and AN28.
Got real U boat mod installed and sofar seen and sunk 3 ships but not one spotted on last 2 patrols.
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. And are patrols random or set in career mode?
I am running at 512 or 1024 speed compression.
Help or advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Bill

plenten
06-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Could be "real". I didn't spot many ships, and certainly not many convoy in early career. I am now in 1943, and there are a lot of ships and convoys to be found around England and Ireland. I use time compression on high numbers as well, so that aint it. Lately, I do see that when I am zoomed in a lot, and zoom out later, I see ships marked on the map (that gods eye view, I am not running at 100% realism). You've made it yourself even more difficult with the Real Mod (I think, but I don't know what that Mod actually does, don't have it). You have to hang in there, I had days I wanted to give up too, in the beginning years of the war. It all becomes better (well.. not all :-) Airplanes are very dangerous in 1943 I can tell you. You be dead in a second)

Hope this helps.

stinkhammer6
06-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Well so far I had 4 convoys pop up on my map, I use the ruler to get a bead on its heading and go after it, all were in daylight and clear calm weather, I never spotted a ship in any of the four convoys, never had this happen to me before, probably a bug.

Cragger
06-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Ship spawn rates are definately lower in 1.4 even without the Real U boat mod. And yes, this is quit inline with the real war. Raeder would have crapped his pants if a uboat commander was constantly getting 100K each patrol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stinkhammer6
06-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by stinkhammer6:
Well so far I had 4 convoys pop up on my map, I use the ruler to get a bead on its heading and go after it, all were in daylight and clear calm weather, I never spotted a ship in any of the four convoys, never had this happen to me before, probably a bug.

Adding to this its now up to 6 ghost convoys, nothing on sonar and checked all possible routes it could have taken, they just vanish, I managed to get into 4 other convoys but some just appear on the map and when you go there, nothing is around. Also I have a WO machinist that when you put him in the engine room his endurance goes down automatically by a quarter. He kept doing this for about 3 days then stopped. This is getting to be a wierd mission.

Sgt_Starbuck
06-30-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't remember the last convoy I saw. I'm back in '41 and it used to be better. Going to try without the mod. I've had ghost convoys too.

Sarge

doug.d
07-01-2005, 12:12 AM
BdU sent me down to the Carribean (Dec 1942) and I'm finding plenty targets in and off Port of Spain. I'm getting my butt kicked though, there are more planes than I've ever seen e.g. B24's (a flight of 14 hit me), lightnings, Cats and others. I died about 5 times last night and eventually gave up and went to bed, try again l8r. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Saw a 'fast' ship on my map, few hundred km's distant and heading away. If it was a liner, then that's the closest I've been to one. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

frog7
07-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Yep same ya...iv been on two patrols down south and came back with all my torpedoes...but if this is what it was REALY like then ok...i had herd that u boats somtimes never seen any ships on a patrol.....but as one of the guys said this is only since the last patch...so is this right?

stinkhammer6
07-01-2005, 05:30 AM
Yeah alot of Uboats went out for lengths of time not seeing a thing, other times they seen more than they wanted so its pretty accurate, but this again goes onto how I see patrolling your zone. If your zone is a bazillion miles away and you barely have enough fuel for the return I would then skip it and only then. I would head to the nearest area with the most ports and if need be, sit right in the middle at scope depth only surfacing to swap out the air, something has to come along at some point.

Also Im still running the 1.3 patch, why? After all the issues I have read about the latest one, and some of the horror stories I have read about the patch, Ill keep the one I got now. After all, patches are optional if you think about it, your game will still run with out it. I see patches like I see new games that come out, I sit back and let everyone else be a lab rat and buy it or download it and see what the reviews are about it. If I read too many bad reviews from the gamers I dont buy it, same with patches. I used to play FPS games from one company until we discovered you couldnt play the games online unless you downloaded the latest patch, and their patches would remove features everyone liked and add things that everyone hated so most of us from that community have been long gone and now play another companies FPS game, we warned them in the forums, the marketing dept, the moderators, all of them didnt listen to us and are now paying the price of their sales going down to less than half.

Sgt_Starbuck
07-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Realism is nice but I want to have fun too.

Sarge

JoeCorrado
07-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Cragger:
Ship spawn rates are definately lower in 1.4 even without the Real U boat mod. And yes, this is quit inline with the real war. Raeder would have crapped his pants if a uboat commander was constantly getting 100K each patrol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Donitz would have been bright eyed and happy as a lark to pass out medals by the truck load though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif - It'x Churchill who would have been crapping down both legs!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

doug.d
07-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Strange, I'm not having a problem finding targets. I've completed 2 patrols since patch 1.4b, @ 105k & 112k tons respectively. At 51k tons on the 3rd patrol with 10 torps left and enough HE for 1, maybe 2 ships.

True, the patrols start out quieter (5 to 10 minutes at 1024x), but soon heat up.

stinkhammer6
07-03-2005, 07:11 AM
The realism isnt really hard its just more time consuming for you to do extra work to fire off a fish, and in bad weather you may as well submerge and compress time to ride it out, or at least till daylight appears then you can work a little better that way instead of a 10f visual past your bow at night.