PDA

View Full Version : Bf109 - maual or auto?

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 07:18 AM
I just tried manul prop pitch in Bf109G2, I was impressed with better performance and less overheating but keeping optimal prp pitch to not overev engine is hard. I mapped PP to my wheel mouse and was flying at 100% throttle all the time and having PP in 55% - 85(max!) band.But in every climb, dive, even while turning I had to adjust PP accordingly. I landed happy performancewise but exhausted without any kill of course....
Is it the way to overcome well known Bf109 shortcoming in 1.11 or is better to stick to auto PP?

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 07:18 AM
I just tried manul prop pitch in Bf109G2, I was impressed with better performance and less overheating but keeping optimal prp pitch to not overev engine is hard. I mapped PP to my wheel mouse and was flying at 100% throttle all the time and having PP in 55% - 85(max!) band.But in every climb, dive, even while turning I had to adjust PP accordingly. I landed happy performancewise but exhausted without any kill of course....
Is it the way to overcome well known Bf109 shortcoming in 1.11 or is better to stick to auto PP?

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Switch it to manual full increase for taxiing. It's better fo the engine and it makes taxiing easier.

For some reason the auto prop system in the sim pulls the prop back when you reduce throttle. That's OK for cruise but not ideal when you are on the ground.

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 04:23 AM
Hmmmmmm.....here is another instance of some problem a lot of people complain about and I don't understand. I mean as far as the 109 supposedly being hard to taxi, that is.
I think it's unbelievably easy to taxi and I certainly don't understand why the last poster thinks that there's much difference in taxiing with or without auto pitch.
I think the 109 is one of the few birds in this game that can be taxied without ever having to hit the brakes to sharpen a turn. I use rudders only and a burst of throttle. Also, unlike some other birds, you can nail the brakes pretty hard to slow down without it trying to nose over, even if it's moving fairly fast when you hit them. Seems the main wheels are pretty far foraward with a lot of weight behind them. I have never had even the slightest trouble taxiing any version of the 109, in any version of IL2 or FB, period. Yet I continue to see curious posts in which someone claims it's a handfull to taxi. I just don't get it. Only problem I encounter is when trying to taxi the TB-3 or getting the 262 to make a left turn, but I still can taxi them sucessfully. Anybody else have trouble taxiing the 109 family, besides the 20,000 or so people who have already complained about it??

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755