PDA

View Full Version : joystick died - replacement recommendations

paradoxguy
10-03-2009, 04:37 PM
My Saitek Aviator (AV8R-01) joystick just stopped working today and I am seeking a replacement that is similar, I could not find the AV8R-01 for sale. Any recommendations for a replacement? I'm looking for a similarly-priced ($50 or less) gamestick that does not require separate rudder controls and is responsive and durable. Although I liked my Saitek Aviator, I also thought it was somewhat flimsy. My PC is a Dell M1330 (13") notebook with Windows Vista. Basically I need something that has the necessary features for IL-2 1946 and works well and reliably, but does not need to be top-of-the-line for now. One game controller I am considering is the T-Flight Hotas Stick Pc PS3. Any thoughts on this stick?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

Eow_TK
10-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I have the Saitek ST290. its only $10 but i would buy another one if mine broke. they work fine. Though the rudder control is kinda tight you get used to it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Blindman-
10-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I have used a Logitec Extreme 3D Pro for the last 2 years and am only now wearing it out (and god knows I torque the shirt out of it at times as well as push the button set up as the break with an excess of 20 Lb of force). It works very well and has a twist feature for use instead of pedals. I have heard other folks talk poorly of this stick, saying it is cheap, but both myself and a buddy have used ours for over 2 years with zero problems.

They cost about $30.

paradoxguy
10-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Eow_TK:
I have the Saitek ST290. its only $10 but i would buy another one if mine broke. they work fine. Though the rudder control is kinda tight you get used to it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. However, Amazon lists it for $94.99 new and $22 used (both through 3rd-party sellers). I also found a Saitek ST90 for $19.99 on Amazon, is this possibly the model you intended?

Thanks again.

Sokol__1
10-03-2009, 06:26 PM
(IMO) In >U$ 50.00 category the best option is
Saitek Aviator...

Or try the new Thrustmaster T.16000M that use HALL sensor in X and Y axis - but ordinary pots in rudder and throttle...

Sokol1

Eow_TK
10-03-2009, 06:58 PM
No I mean ST290 pro like i said. it was $10 at Wal-Mart. Sure you typed it right?

paradoxguy
10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Eow_TK:
No I mean ST290 pro like i said. it was $10 at Wal-Mart. Sure you typed it right?

I copied your model number directly into the search box on Amazon. Since I wrote the last note, I saw one comment on the Amazon ST290 priced at $94.99 indicating great surprise at the posted price and that the writer had purchased this joystick previously for around $20. I suspect Amazon has listed the wrong price. In the meantime, I'll search for it at Walmart and other stores. Thanks.

Eow_TK
10-03-2009, 07:26 PM
No problem. It's definatly priced wrong on Amazon. It is a good stick though. At first I was doubtfull but I was suprised for the better I guess. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Ba5tard5word
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd second the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, I got mine for about $25 from a vendor on amazon. It's a good stick for the price and I've had mine for many months with zero problems. The twist rudder works very well for me.

paradoxguy
10-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Interestingly, my Saitek Aviator started working again last night. However, I suspect the Saitek will malfunction again soon and I will start looking for a replacement now, keeping your suggestions in mind, especially the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (and the Saitek ST290 if I can find it). The Thrustmaster T.16000M looks intriguing also, although above my desired price range. Thanks again.

Taco_Dude
10-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I own a Logitech 3D Pro and i can tell you this, your aircraft will always turn left if you are not holding the joystick. Can be very annoying at times...

Eow_TK
10-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Thats exactly why I got rid of my Extreem 3D Pro. it kept drifting left. and needed calibration like 2 times a day. BUT... it did last me 2 years until it started messing up.

Ba5tard5word
10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I've never had that problem.

Bedazzled
10-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I replaced my Saitek AV8R (which was awful) with a Speedlink Black Widow (http://www.speed-link.com/?p=2&cat=313&pid=1533&paus=1) which is German made and much better quality. It cost me 25 from Amazon UK.

megalopsuche
10-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I know you said <$50, but realize that $50 x the 3-4 sticks you'll have to keep purchasing over the years is equal to the cost of a CH fighterstick that is of vastly superior quality.

paradoxguy
10-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the additional suggestions. Megalopsuche, your suggestion about being penny-wise, pound-foolish is very valid and in fact I had considered the CH stick before. However, due to disability, I cannot use separate rudder pedals and I need a gamestick with twist rudder control.

In the meantime, I'll consider the recommendations and choices carefully. Thanks again.

CUJO_1970
10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Do yourself a big favor and go get the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Do it now.

No calbration problems here either, and mine is over three years old.

Extreme_One
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Since my stick died a long while ago and I'm looking to get back into flying again I have decided to plump for the Logitech 3D Force Pro.

I wish I could afford the Logitech G940 but as I'm on a tight budget..http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I wish the MS FFB2 was still readily available.

For me ForceFeedback (even if it is limited) is a must.

Sillius_Sodus
10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
The only reason I moved away from Logitech sticks is because of the calibration issues. If you are lucky enough to get one that doesn't wear out after a few months I think you will be very happy with their stick.

doraemil
10-05-2009, 07:07 PM
no no no, don't get a extreme force pro 3D from logitech.

My ex and I both got them, the silver n black ones (they look good) from amazon last year, and in 6 mo's the twist got so bad, if you pull on the joystick up or down (no twisting) it engages the twist.

Also eventually the joystick 'sticks' in a certain position. I mean the joystick itself is fine, but in windows / software wise, it keeps pushing down and to the right. WHen you look on IL-2 sensitivity settings, it shows the green n red square off to the side instead of centered. Then you have move it around to get it go back to neutral. Sometimes I'd forget and my plane is going nuts with the nose bouncing around and I have to pause to "stretch out the joystick".

And we both baby our joysticks. I still have my original NES controllers.

It is a savvy joystick, sticks well and after playing with il-2 joy control you can get smooth and silky, just right (I liked 80 sensitivity curve), but it slowly degrades.

get CH for a long lasting and smooth joystick. Its alot more "sliding feeling" but its smoother and lasts a lot longer.

For me cheap = works great for a few months.

Then it gets expensive since I'm wasting time and money to get replacements.

CUJO_1970
10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
My first Extreme 3D Pro lasted three years, and I paid less than $40 for it.

I'm on my second one, year three with no problems at all.