PDA

View Full Version : Where's Ubisoft going with BoB, SHIII and Knights?

Doug_Thompson
05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Silent Hunter III and IL-2 have a lot in common -- firm grounding in history, more realism than is generally considered playable, among others.

Then Pearl Harbor in Pacific Fighters is filled with KGV battleships, a type common to SHIII.

PT Boats, Knights of the Sea has surface ships and aircraft. The developer has cooperated with Maddox Games.

Are all these different games going to have some compatability someday?

Fennec_P
05-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Don't count on it. Totally different games from different developers.

TAGERT.
05-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Doug_Thompson:
Silent Hunter III and IL-2 have a lot in common -- firm grounding in history, more realism than is generally considered playable, among others.

Then Pearl Harbor in Pacific Fighters is filled with KGV battleships, a type common to SHIII.

PT Boats, Knights of the Sea has surface ships and aircraft. The developer has cooperated with Maddox Games.

Are all these different games going to have some compatability someday? To the Bank

Da_Godfatha
05-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Only if you got a consol. It seems that in the future, most games will only be for the brainless plug and pay crowd. Check out the games coming out, first consol,then (if we are lucky) ported over to the PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Ace_Eloff
05-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Thats only because they've made a recent hardware leap that PC can't follow yet.

AVG_WarHawk
05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
When original IL-2 was released, there were rumors of IL-2,SHI and one other(It's been so long now the title eludes me, believe it was a ground war sim) being combined through a Ubi dedicated server. The whole idea fell through for reason unknown to me. But the idea sounds great!

WWMaxGunz
05-26-2005, 03:17 PM
SHIII has Starforce copy protection which ensures I won't buy it. More guaranteed trouble
than it's worth and don't think uninstall will clean it up. Got that from a friend who
does know his stuff very well, he works at Symantec in the AV division, ie not a bean
counter or stuffed suitface.

So I wonder if BoB will get Starforced out of my life.

Aeronautico
05-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by AVG_WarHawk:
When original IL-2 was released, there were rumors of IL-2,SHI and one other(It's been so long now the title eludes me, believe it was a ground war sim) being combined through a Ubi dedicated server. The whole idea fell through for reason unknown to me. But the idea sounds great!

I very much doubt so.

Same reasons as Fennec's explaination above.
And such a thing can't be but a silly rumor: it has certainly been in no one's mind in the business.

Fennec_P
05-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Given the extent of sub modeling in IL-2, and the extent of airplane modeling in SHIII, I don't see how these games could ever work together.

I mean, in IL-2, sumberged subs and surfaced subs are two seperate 3d objects...

Besdies, the IL-2 KGV looks much better than the SHIII one :P

Philipscdrw
05-27-2005, 12:46 PM
The graphical differences could be worked around.

But, what scope is there for SH/Il-2 inter-playability? We'd fly a Beaufighter or Hurricane (I don't think Hurricanes were used for A/S work by Coastal Command, though) and look for the submarine, the submarine would be forced to drive around at 7kts in real time, submerged, because his AA is no match for the guns of the attacking fighters. It would be frustrating for the sub, to live on 1x speed, and for the pilots there wouldn't be a lot of difference between a human sub and an AI sub.

And it would need work on ASW aircraft and ordnance. I don't think it's worthwhile.

darkhorizon11
05-30-2005, 09:57 PM
The real deal will be 7 or 8 years from now when computer technology is powerful enough for a game to be created combining air and land.

Imagine a realistic unscripted game where you lead a group of online players who really work together (not the BF1942 mish mash) through the Ardenne forest against an enemy position. Meanwhile you above you a massive air battle is being fought out. But in real time with real pilots with realistic flight models, battle damage, the whole nine yards.

I figure they could create a graduated system of points where a player is ranked by his skills and the players with the most points would be the officers commanding. To combat PKing the officers is the only one that can kick players and just like in real life as a player gets better he moves his way up through the ranks getting better and better. Naturally this could also include a tank sim too.

This is a little extreme but a few of the absolute highest scoring players could act as generals if they choose. They would get a map command and conquer style view of the battle field and give orders to those on the fields.

Thats where I think this is all going. Like they said copyright and graphics issues and of course plain compatability make it impossible. Not to mention while real time for flight sim can mean at the most hours (which is bad enough) Naval operations were literally months. About all that we could cover navally in world war two would be the Normandy invasion.

AVG_WarHawk
05-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Aeronautico:

I very much doubt so.

Same reasons as Fennec's explaination above.
And such a thing can't be but a silly rumor: it has certainly been in no one's mind in the business.

Perhaps you need to read posts alittle more carefully.....I said "original IL-2" and "the whole idea fell through". What part confused you?