PDA

View Full Version : Too many patches

FergusNutzak
05-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I've had PF stand alone for several years; unable to play due to "Insert CD" error. Found RTS.dll, now game runs, and I see Mega patches (I've ver 3.00) hours or days to download on dial-up, I don't think so..Seems game was released before being checked out..

VW-IceFire
05-13-2007, 02:15 PM
The insert CD error is a result of the publishers anti-piracy actions taken on the product after it was handed over to them by the developers. The RTS.dll fix is widely available and basically just overwrites the changes they made. The problem doesn't appear on all hardware either...so you were just unlucky.

Unfortunately game patches weren't really ever made for dial up. I remember being on dial up and it taking forever to get patches. Thats why the first chance I had to get broadband cable access I was there. That said...there are no show stopping bugs related to Pacific Fighters. It works just as well now as it did out of the box.

What the patches do is add content and improve aircraft accuracy. The additions are a gift from the developers and the improved aircraft accuracy is usually the result of the community digging up and providing documents to the developers. The A6M Zero in PF 3.0 for instance has a negative G cutout...this is something that was reported in a test report but it was later found by the community that this report was somewhat bogus as it was a captured Zero and wasn't put together properly. So you can see what the patches do...has nothing to do with the product being half baked in terms of stability (quite unlike some recent blockbusters like Battlefield 2 and C&C3) and technical stuff.

Bearcat99
05-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Why not just buy 46.....

XyZspineZyX
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by FergusNutzak:
I've had PF stand alone for several years; unable to play due to "Insert CD" error. Found RTS.dll, now game runs, and I see Mega patches (I've ver 3.00) hours or days to download on dial-up, I don't think so..Seems game was released before being checked out..

What is your question? I don't understand...all you've done is basically say "this sucks"

err...if you have trouble, we can help fix it...but I'm not even seeing a request for assistance here

Freelancer-1
05-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah it sux.

Put it back on the shelf, play without patches or get a friend to D/L them for you.

BTW, it is perfectly playable without the patches.

GerritJ9
05-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Where do you live? Perhaps there is somebody on this board who can download the patches, burn them on a CD and mail the CD to you. PF patches only go to 4.04 so you miss out on a lot of extremely interesting recent content (Ki.21, Ki.27, A20C to name but a few), but taking PF up to 4.04 DOES add a lot that improves/expands the sim immeasurably- maps, planes etc.

-HH-Quazi
05-14-2007, 03:36 AM
Let's see if I can discern.

Well, it seems he has had PF for years, but was unable to play the sim (for years I am thinking).

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">If he would have come here and asked for help years ago he would have been playing the sim for years now.</span>

Then he found the RTS.DLL and the game runs now. And it seems he seen Mega Patches at the same time he seen the RTS.DLL but he is complianing because he is on dialup & it would take days to dl.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Again, if he would have come here and asked years ago I'd bet someone would have offered to dl & burn them to disk and even mailed the disk to him. But he decides to come here years later & complain about it.</span>

And now he is saying the game was released before being checked out.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Well I don't know about that seeing as we do have quite a large PF only crowd here these days & these guys don't seem to be held up from playing it & enjoying it.</span>

If you ask me, he is fishing.

FergusNutzak
05-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I wasn't asking for anything...just making a statement. Patches this large; too big for DL via dial-up. As far as I can see, there is reason for patches; when a game is released before being thoroughly checked out..or as an add-on.

GerritJ9
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
The patches ARE big, but I won't say they are TOO large for dial-up- I downloaded several 100 MB plus patches before I got the bright idea of downloading them at work and transferring them to a memory stick, before switching to cable last year. You do need a download manager if you download using dialup- otherwise you can easily lose a significant part of the download if the connection is suddenly interrupted.
As for the reasons for such large patches....... part of the contents are corrections to sort out bugs (such as the A6M2's engine cut-out), but mainly the patches have introduced new content such as maps, new planes or made existing AI planes flyable- and the extra content was free of charge, I might add.

Zeus-cat
05-14-2007, 03:56 PM
See if you can download the patches at work, at a library or if a friend will do it.

As has been stated, the reason for the large patches is often due to free content. Many of the "fixes" have been to change the flight models of some aircraft. Some people think they are improvements, others think they are a step backwards. There is usually some lively debate whenever a patch is released.

By the way, if you don't want the patches don't get them. If you play offline the game runs fine at whatever version you have.

XyZspineZyX
05-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by FergusNutzak:
I wasn't asking for anything...just making a statement. Patches this large; too big for DL via dial-up. As far as I can see, there is reason for patches; when a game is released before being thoroughly checked out..or as an add-on.

Hi Fergus

Everyone calls everything a "patch". Doesn't matter what it does. be it a bug fix, a new plane, a new map, etc, it's always called a "patch"

There are no PC programs without bugs. The amount of content released for this sim is truly enormous. If you have 10 bits of software, you're bound to experience more issues than if you have three on average, would you agree?

Now imagine that in those 10 bits of software, each includes on average 5 newly modlled aircraft, 2 new maps, new dynamic campaign elements, and correction to mistake that managed to go undetected (yes, software developers are human. There is nothing you or I have ever done that is without some type of flaw, either)

In that situation, is the potential for small issues or mistakes to go undetected small, or large?

Large, obviously

What you seem to misunderstand is that essentially this software has been in development since 2002. In addition, you seem to not be aware that for the last two years, it has existed mainly as a test-bed for the new simulation being made, the one that will replace it

Your standpoint is basically shoddy workmanship is the issue. May I suggest that you are not expert in what's happening in this simulation, and you may want to actually find out the details behind things before you make snap judgements? I suggest this because you seem to have this idea that not only can every PC be tested for in QC, but that the simulation was not made over years and years, in installments, but rather they made it all at once- BOOM! here's the whole thing- and that all these "patches" are for every little group of problems discovered after that release

It's not so. Many "patches" are mislabelled by the community. Each add-on has included bug fixes, but they did not exist to address bugs, they existed as add-ons, to give additional content

The simulation has been pushed far past it's intended performance envelope and scope of content. Simply put, it was not designed to do many things it currently does. Every PC program conteains errors, and in one this complex and large, you're going to get some/ As I say, these "patches" are not only often actually add-ons, but they accumulated over literally years of support

The sim as it stands now contains the following commercially available products:

Il2 Sturmovik:Forgotten battles
Aces Expansion Pack
Pacific Fighters
Pe-2 Peshka
Sturmoviks over Manchria
Il2 Stirmovik: 1946

that's six bits of software right there, each with all it's own complexity and large size of content, that needs to work with each other. Safe to say few bugs might crop up in the last 5 years? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In addition, that does not take into account the three or four add-ons that are free downloads, that gave planes, maps, and objects

Put on top of that the 4 or 5 actual patches, plus unexpected results of all of this working on continually changing hardware, as new technology is developed over time for the machines that run the simulation, and you start to understand how a bug or two might have crawled in the works http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif This ain't "Prince of Persia" or "Rainbow Six:Las Vegas" or even CFS3 (which is a hoot when you discuss patches for games, MS simply refuses to fix many things, which is fantastic for saying "our products don't need many bug fixes"). Think about the complexities of having these hunmdreds of different aircraft modelled, and the dozens of features that need to work together

EiZ0N
05-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Can you not ask a friend to download the patches for you?

No offence, but it's a little selfish to expect the software industry to cater to dial-up for these kinds of things. It just does not make sense in the grand scheme of things.

It's scary to think people still have 56k. These days, I have 20mbit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Though I do live in the city.

Freelancer-1
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:

Hi Fergus...

Well put.

Just to clarify, though, for FergusNutzak.

IL2 Sturmovik 1946 is actually a compilation of the 5 games BBB listed before it, including all relevant patches up to 4.07.

Not a bad deal for 30 bucks and a whole lot easier on the dial up.

-HH-Quazi
05-16-2007, 02:17 AM
If you can't get a friend to dl & burn them for you, just PM me you mailing address & what patches you want & I will do that for you m8.