PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new monitor!

Skoshi Tiger
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I've just got myself a new 22" Widescreen LCD (ASUS VW222U) and have been running '46 at 1680*1050! Great stuff.

My poor old CRT was slowly faiding away and dimmer and dimmer and making this annoying squeeling noise!!!! (Almost sent me deaf!) The thing that pushed me over the edge was when it got so dim I couldn't see any E/A over the ground or water. ( I'm normally one of those type that will just put up with things way past their use by date)

I've only got two problems, well not really problems.

1) I really notice when things like mountains flash into existance on the wide screen. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the greater field of view on the widescreen monitor, but I just didn't notice it on the CRT (I'm sure it was there, but wasn't an issue)

2) I can't blame my lack of skill on a crappy monitor and not being able to see my attacker! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ahhh well! can't have everything! Seriously having a decent screen has really freshened up the game for me!

See ya!

Chivas
08-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I just bought a Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24'' Widescreen that is a great overall monitor with all the inputs you could ever want. BUT

So far I prefer my 22" CRT.
Its my first LCD and I think I made a mistake buying the PVA panel instead of the cheaper TN.
I see some stuttering that I never had on my CRT even with this panels supposed 5ms response time. I heard there is an input lag with this particular monitor but not sure if the effect I'm seeing input lag or response time issues. This happens mostly at lower resolutions below the native 1920x1200. BUT if I fly at 1920x1200 the aircraft dots are much harder to see and the aircraft can disappear against the ground even in close combat. Maybe the LCD black isn't black enough.

I think I will go to future shop and try the Samsung T260 and the B245. If they aren't what I'm looking for atleast they will be easy to return.

Stingray333
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Skoshi Tiger:

1) I really notice when things like mountains flash into existance on the wide screen. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the greater field of view on the widescreen monitor, but I just didn't notice it on the CRT (I'm sure it was there, but wasn't an issue)

You may need to increase the view distance in the conf.ini, I think down at the bottom there is an option for setting the view distance, i.e. how far away you can see things.

I too just got a wide screen monitor: 24" LCD running 1920x1200. For kicks I tried running on my old monitor at 1280x1024 and it feels like your flying with blinders on!

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Chivas:
I just bought a Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24'' Widescreen that is a great overall monitor with all the inputs you could ever want. BUT

Its my first LCD and I think I made a mistake buying the PVA panel instead of the cheaper TN.
I see some stuttering that I never had on my CRT even with this panels supposed 5ms response time. I heard there is an input lag with this particular monitor but not sure if the effect I'm seeing input lag or response time issues. This happens mostly at lower resolutions below the native 1920x1200. BUT if I fly at 1920x1200 the aircraft dots are much harder to see and the aircraft can disappear against the ground even in close combat. Maybe the LCD black isn't black enough.

I think I will go to future shop and try the Samsung T260 and the B245. If they aren't what I'm looking for atleast they will be easy to return.

Stuttering is not related to response time, response time would cause ghosting. It may just be that the dells image processing is having trouble with the non-native resolutions. Do some googling and see if there are any tweaks you can do to help this. And the AC getting lost may very well be a setting issue like you said. I see AC better on my 24" S-PVA Acer panel than I ever did on my CRT trinitron.

Stingray333
08-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:

Stuttering is not related to response time, response time would cause ghosting. It may just be that the dells image processing is having trouble with the non-native resolutions. Do some googling and see if there are any tweaks you can do to help this. And the AC getting lost may very well be a setting issue like you said. I see AC better on my 24" S-PVA Acer panel than I ever did on my CRT trinitron. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its just that your 7900GTX video card is not up to the challenge of running 1920x1200, which is quite the chore for the GPU. What is the FPS like in the game? Run TheBlackDeath track and see what your minimum FPS is. You could try reducing some settings like anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering and see if that improves.

I hear that even Nvidia 8800GT cards stumble running 1920x1200 resolution (my ATI 4870 handles it fine)

I typically have found that seeing the dots is much easier on the big screen, and identifying aircraft is much easier.

Chivas
08-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I thought the 7900GTX may be the problem but I'm still getting from 60 to 100+ frames per second in normal combat flying, so it seems to handle the 1920x1200 0 AA and AF with no problem. BlackDeath trk...Max 140fps momentary 25fps when a bomb went off, avergaing over 100fps.I may upgrade to 4870x2 next month depending how it stands up too Nvidia best offering. One thing I notic about the new ATI cards is they do well at high resolutions but drop considerable at lower resolution.

I don't mind playing the game at lower resolutions on a large LCD for aircraft spotting purposes, but find I get more stuttering at low resolution than high resolution.

I just brought a Samsung T260 25.5 inch home. I think it has a TN panel and its only 499 canadian, but I still get stuttering and icon intensity flashing. Will keep testing.

I may have to delay buying a monitor until I have a new video card.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Are you using VGA cable or DVI cable? Might make a difference.

Chivas
08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm using a DVI input. After a system reboot everything became much smoother.
One question...I've noticed that 70 and 75 hz are available at some lower resolutions. I though LCD's were exclusively 60 Hz. It seems to select the higher Hz when using the lower resolution. Is it better to reset the monitor to 60 Hz.

~Salute~

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
The schools of thought on this are divided, I subscribe to the fact that the monitor is only really capable og 60hz so the monitor has to throw out or add some frames to keep the 60hz and results in less image quality. Some say you get better image quality. Best to test for yourself and see which looks better to you.

Stingray333
08-01-2008, 11:07 PM
After researching the same issue myself I came to the conclusion that the 15 other frames were simply discarded by the monitor