PDA

View Full Version : Heads up! Spitfire & Hurricane fly over Severn Valley Railway 29-6-08 13.30 hours

Mysticpuma2003
06-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Just aheads up for those who may want to take the chance. Tomorrow the Severn Valley Railway will be holding a 1940's themed event.

As part of it a Hurricane and Spitfire will be flying along the Railway line at approx. 1.30pm on Sunday the 30th of June.
Now, I understand this depends on the weather, but ll being well, the steam trains will be running, with people dressed in 40's costumes, with Army,Navy and RAF, all in period costume.

Anyway, just thought I'd let anyone near Bridgnorth,Bewdley or Kidderminster know that they may see these planes around that time....keep those eyes on the sky.
(BTW I'm covering it for work, so hopefully I'll get a shot!)

Cheers, MP.

steiner562
06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Get us some pics MP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifsounds great!

Mysticpuma2003
06-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Honestly, I have never been so underwhelmed by a flyby.

Arriving early at the station, I talked to the train guards about yesterday's Dakota, and they were really impressed with the show, about 4 circuits and two flybys of the station running along the track at low altitude.

With this in mind, they eagerly (and I did too) awaited the arrival of the flight.

At a distance approx. 2-miles South of the station, they appeared and headed South-East, closing the distance to about a mile away. At about 1.5 miles out, the Spit climbed to about 800ft and turned towards the station, with the Hurricane lagging about 500ft behind.

The planes then flew parallel to the station, approximately half-a-mile away from the station and went behind the tree line.

At this point the Guards and I, and the people who'd come to the station for the 40's event expected them to return and come in low over the station.

10-minutes later, we all realised, that what we had seen, was all we would see.

From a personal PoV, I was very disappointed, I mean really, deep down disappointed.

It's rare to see these planes flying today, and without travelling to major airshows, these opportunities are the ones where they can be seen in a 'natural' environment and where the sound of the engines can take you back in time.

The planes were just so-far away that it was pointless being there and I feel saddened that with the weather being reasonably clear (cloud base approx. 3000ft), their was no excuse for the apathy that the Pilots appeared (that was a lot of people's impression not just mine) to show.

When actors stage historical days for the public to remember and educate their children, the effort that the two pilots put in was nothing short of pathetic!

I'm sorry, I do feel that strongly about it, it just wasn't worth them turning up!

MP.

SidCheshire
06-29-2008, 11:01 AM
What a let down - I do share your feelings MP.

2 weeks ago there was a vintage vehicle rally in Astwood Bank, a village in the north of Worcestershire. The organisers arranged for the Dakota to do a flyby on the Saturday and the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster to do one on the Sunday - this was advertised in the local press. Only a few miles from me so I decided to go and look/listen.

I couldn't get there on the Saturday because of work but drove out on Sunday and sat in the car park and waited...and waited...

I asked if it was on and was told yes, so I waited...

Eventually, late in the afternoon an RAF C.117 transport approached the village at about 1000ft but turned away about half a mile away - no fly past.

I didn't get to the bottom of why the change occurred, but like you, I was disappointed with the no-show.

Mysticpuma2003
06-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Astwood Bank, I live in Bromsgrove...just down the road http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers, MP.

SidCheshire
06-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Lol, small world - I live on the Bromsgrove side of Redditch, not far from the "Highway".