PDA

View Full Version : Problems with il2

Elvin575
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I just bought IL2 off of steam because i was really in the mood for a good ww2 flight sim.

I've played the microsoft combat flight simulator games but only briefly touched il2 many years ago.

anyway, im having several problems most of them related to my joystick; im using a logitech g940.

1. rudder always slams hard left. when trying to take off the rudder is always heading left. i tried resetting the trim, but no luck. i have to fully push the right rudder just to somewhat stay level. unfortunately the sliders in the controls page arnt labeled so i couldn really use them to remedy the problem.

2. the views are not working. for a while i could hit f1 or f2 to switch views but i no longer can. i tried mapping them to different keys and restoring defaults but no luck.

3. the joystick is much too sensitive and sometimes down right unresponsive.

Let it be noted that my g940 works perfectly fine with games such as A10C and FSX

thanks guys

TipsyTed
08-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Can't give you any advice about the joystick, but regarding the views - did you check if you have "external views" option in preferences enabled?

Elvin575
08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
-_-

thanks that solved the external views. im such an idiot lol

now about the rudder...

when monitoring the turn and slip indicator everything seems okay, but during takeoff as soon as my aircraft starts rolling, the bank needle slams to the left but the ball stays centered.

so i supposed there is nothing wrong with my rudders and instead something with the ailerons.

visually there is nothing wrong, but aircraft will literally do circles around itself and no amount of rudder correction will help.

any ideas?

FoolTrottel
08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
any ideas?
That's probably the airframe's reaction to you throttling up, the engine turning the prop one way, and the airframe trying to turn the other way... torque, and p-factor will do that.

Assign a key to 'lock tail wheel', and use that to lock the tail wheel on take-off. Activate it right after you've got some speed, so the tail wheel can straighten itself first (You can check that via external views). Be easy on the throttle, a locked tail wheel and some opposite rudder should make the aircraft go straight on take off.

As for the stick being too sensitive, in game, go into Hardware setup, Input.

In there you can adjust the sensitivities for each assigned control axis.
Experiment a bit. (I've only used my G940 for a very short time, so can't give you specific values for what are a good settings for it.)

If too sensitive, lower the values for aileron(Roll) and elevator (pitch), try these numbers: 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100

Still, it's a lot about personal preference!

Good Luck!

Elvin575
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

assumed it would be torque, but the way in which it throws my aircraft off to the left seems unlikely.

i tried the tail wheel lock, but still no luck. I managed to get off the runway, but as soon as i was airborn the slip/bank indicator shifted abrubtly to the right crashed me into the ground.

i have a lot of experience with flight sims and real life piloting in general so i dont feel as though its the aircraft crapping out on me, but rather there is some sort of bug im experiencing. i even tried the He-111 since i figured the 2 engines and stable design would let me know if its my piloting skills thats at fault or perhaps the game; again same result.

i dug out my old MS sidewinder and tried that, but i got the exact same results.

thanks for your help. Any other ideas?

Woke_Up_Dead
08-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Two other things to try: take off in a jet (no torque/propwash effect on takeoff), and also try a quick start in the air to see how your plane handles. If the jet takes off straight and the airstarted plane flies straight, then you know it's not a joystick problem.

Zeus-cat
08-03-2011, 09:15 PM
You might want to try my "Straight From the Farm" campaign at Mission4Today. It is a step by step tutorial on how to take off and land in IL-2. See the link below.

Tully__
08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Elvin575:
assumed it would be torque, but the way in which it throws my aircraft off to the left seems unlikely.
It's actually propwash, not torque.

i tried the tail wheel lock, but still no luck. I managed to get off the runway, but as soon as i was airborn the slip/bank indicator shifted abrubtly to the right crashed me into the ground.

i have a lot of experience with flight sims and real life piloting in general so i dont feel as though its the aircraft crapping out on me, but rather there is some sort of bug im experiencing. i even tried the He-111 since i figured the 2 engines and stable design would let me know if its my piloting skills thats at fault or perhaps the game; again same result.
It sounds like you're pulling too hard on the joystick in the mushing regime. Go faster before pulling up or be more gentle, below 160 - 180km/h use rudder rather than aileron to correct a wing that drops abruptly. This sim is probably a little bit too sensitive to rough handling in this flight regime.

Also note that the red speed numbers in the lower left corner are by default for ALL aircraft km/h, not MPH or knots. If you're trying to take off at 120 in the belief that it's MPH, you can expect exactly the behaviour you describe. 120km/h is only 75MPH.

GratedLeeman
08-03-2011, 10:53 PM
My Logic3 does similar things when I've shut down my computer.
Usually switching it to a new USB port helps.
Failing that (and you've probably already tried this) you could go into the Control Panel and calibrate the stick.

TipsyTed
08-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Try taking off in a P-38 (contrarotating props) and report back.