PDA

View Full Version : Transferred to Pacific

MrMojok
07-28-2007, 01:09 AM
After spending two and a half years fighting the war in Western Europe, I want to explore another theater. I have done a lot of reading about the aircraft in the Pacific during WWII, but have little in-game experience.

What I am wondering is if anyone might give me a quick rundown on a couple of things... for starters, the F4U.

Most of my time with the sim has been with P51/FW190/Bf109. I flew the Corsair some when I first got into this, but that was back when I played with CEM off, wonder-woman view, and all sorts of other things that I'm ashamed of now. Also what little time I spent with the F4U then was all offline.

Any tips for a Corsair rookie going full-real? How does it compare with say, FW190A series?

Switch supercharger to stage 1 at 8500' and to stage 2 at 26,900', right?

How does it stack up against the various Japanese aircraft?

Anything to watch out for, not to do? (aside from turn with zeroes, I think I got that one down)

How are its overheating characteristics?

Obviously I'm going to fly it around and figure out things for myself. But I'd appreciate any help from experienced Pacific veterans.

TC_Stele
07-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Corsair is another energy fighter. Very fast compared to the Zeros, but the Ki-84s will eat it up if you let them. I think stage 2 is 8200ft and stage 3 is near 18k. May need to check the aircraft reference guide. The plane is well armored and can take a bit of a beating, similar to the Hellcat.

I HIGHLY recommend going in the Zekes v Wildcat server on hyperlobby. They fly full real and you'll definatly get a chance to fly the Corsair.

TAW_Oilburner
07-28-2007, 06:47 AM
It overheats easily and is a pain to cool down, but you can fly at 95 pitch and 95 throttle with cowl flaps at 2 pretty much all day (as long as you energy fight and keep your speed up).

corsair0772
07-28-2007, 08:50 AM
This is my favorite aircraft to fly, as you can tell. One thing that I would tell you to watch out for is if you are trying to pursue an Zero, Zeke ect... make sure that you have your flaps set to "combat". You can loose control real easely if they are up. Landing on carriers is another tough part. Make sure you set a key to toggle you seat so when you are on your final approach, you can actually see the carrier by opening your canopy and raising the seat. To learn a good way to land, go to www.darts-page.com (http://www.darts-page.com). It helped me. Have fun and welcome to the Pacific side. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Crash_Moses
07-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Harumph...another fighter jock. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

buzzsaw1939
07-28-2007, 11:41 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

MrMojok
07-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Crash, learning the bombers is in the syllabus too for me. It's just a bit furthur down the road http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Of course if anyone has anything else to add, keep 'em coming.

Crash_Moses
07-28-2007, 06:12 PM
hehe...somebody has to fly cover. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Let me know when you get around to the SBD. It won the war... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

R_Target
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Switch SC at 6000ft. and 18,000ft. F6F and F4U are identical in this regard. Leave mixture on 100% ("auto lean") except for maybe take-off. Cowl flaps don't cool, or cool so badly that it's a waste to use them, so ignore them. Try to use 95% throttle whenever possible. Leave prop pitch (actually RPM's) at 100% unless you want to save gas or go slower.

Let's see...what else...get comfortable with your trim controls, and you can use the landing gear as a dive brake.

MrMojok
07-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Boy, I was a little off on the supercharger stages wasn't I?

Also-- anyone know of any F4U user-made offline campaigns? I have found the three "Hell in the Pacific" ones, and the Checkerboarders one. That was all I saw on M4T.

Xiolablu3
07-29-2007, 03:58 AM
Excellent Multi purpose bird.

I wouldnt call her a fighter, I would call her a Fighter bomber/Attack Plane.

SHes so big, heavy and powerful. Nothing like a Zero, SPitfire or Bf109. More like a Tempest, a big armoured beast.

For winning maps and wars there is no better plane, she can carry so much ordanance its ridiculous, and then, after the drop, she can easily fight well enough to cover the incoming bombers or FBers while they aim their bombs and rockets.

The Corsair is a real versitile, battle winning plane.

R_Target
07-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
Boy, I was a little off on the supercharger stages wasn't I?

No, I forgot a zero and didn't catch it 'til today. It's 6000ft. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif These alts don't necessarily reflect reality accurately, but it's what works best in IL2.

MrMojok
07-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Oh yeah, I knew you meant 6000'. I mean my initial guesses were way off.

stansdds
07-30-2007, 04:25 AM
Never chase a Zero (or any other Japanese plane) down low. The Corsair works better at higher altitudes where you have the advantage of more engine power and room to dive away from an enemy or go into a gentle, turning climb to starboard. Get down low and you end up in a turning fight which is where the Japanese planes are best. I prefer to stay above 5000 feet in the Corsair unless I'm making a bomb or rocket run.

Giantiguana20
07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Get on teamspeak and fly with a wingman. The pacific theater american planes have **** rear visibility, and turning to see the enemy planes plays to thier strengths. Instead run and call for support. The only other thing I've got is set your convergence nice and close, and don't shoot until you've got a good solid shot. Glancing hits won't get you very many kills using 50 cals, even against zeros.

R_Target
07-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
Oh yeah, I knew you meant 6000'.

Heh heh, I thought you might have, but my instinct is to always cover my @ss. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

hi_stik
08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
I am on a personal quest to free one and all from the slavery of altitude-identity!

Seek not to memorize tables for your various supercharged planes, my friend! It's REAL simple. Watch your manifold pressure gauge. When it drops to about 40in. at 95% throttle, that's the time to switch. So if you're at a lower throttle setting, you'd switch blowers earlier, and if at WEP, you'd switch later. If you get in the habit of watching MP, instead of memorizing altitudes, you'll be better for it, plus, you'll keep your engine cooler, too.

P.S. As for the cowl flaps, I agree with R_Target on the Hellcat (they definitely DO NOT work), but the Corsair flaps do work, as of the latest patches.

EDIT: You can win any stern chase on the deck in this plane, except against a Ki-84. You have a NARROW speed advantage vs. an NiK2, up to 3000', in which it becomes a dead heat. From about 5000' up, your advantage grows and grows vs. the N1K2. With judicious use of combat flaps, and sound energy management techniques, you can win a dogfight against a N1K2, also, provided you start the fight advantaged, or at least neutral. But you must finish your man early, otherwise bug out. As for all Zeke models, and the Ki-61's, they are no match for you, as long as you use pure energy tactics. None of them can win a footrace with you, nor can they match you in a 200knot power climb (do not exceed 1000fpm, keep your horizontal speed high)

crucislancer
08-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Try to use 95% throttle whenever possible. Leave prop pitch (actually RPM's) at 100% unless you want to save gas or go slower.

I'm going to have to give that a try. I usually set my PP at 85-90%, and throttle at just under 100%, and I can usually keep it at 220-250 knots for cruise. I go to 100% PP when it's time to fight or on landing, and drop it down quite a bit when I need to make a quick dive.

MrMojok, as far as offline campaigns go, the 3 "Hell in the Pacific" campaigns are great, the Peleliu one my favorite so far. I have "Checkerboarders", but I had a long run of bad luck with the first mission so I haven't come back to it yet. There is a Black Sheep Squardon campaign, "VMF-214". "A Partial Payment" has you flying the Corsair along with the F6F and SBD. "ANZACS in the Pacific part 1" also let's you fly the Corsair, according to my notes.

The DGen campaigns for the Corsair are pretty fair. I played through one in Iwo Jima in the C model, mainly ground attack missions, though dogfighting will come into play after ordinance is dropped. The C model is great for Zero killing.

Tater-SW-
02-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Giantiguana20:
Get on teamspeak and fly with a wingman. The pacific theater american planes have **** rear visibility, and turning to see the enemy planes plays to thier strengths. Instead run and call for support. The only other thing I've got is set your convergence nice and close, and don't shoot until you've got a good solid shot. Glancing hits won't get you very many kills using 50 cals, even against zeros.

True, that's probably because we don't have API.

While it's possible to set the convergence where you like, in RL USN and USMC planes were all harmonized at 1000 feet (304.8m). This is because they shared planes. IMO, "full real" requires a full real convergence setting. I have mine set that way even if it results in poor killing power. YMMV.

tater