PDA

View Full Version : WWII Aircraft Performance Data.

woofiedog
01-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Came across an WWII aircraft performance data site while checkout some other info that includes some interesting performance evaluations with boost and gasoline and also aircraft comparisons and test done with captured aircraft during WWII.

WWII Aircraft Performance (http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/)

thefruitbat
01-23-2010, 07:34 AM
yeah, its a good site, done by the same people who do the spitfire performance site.

Between there two sites and kurfursts, there some great information http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LEBillfish
01-23-2010, 08:52 AM
What I suggest however when using that site or any testing documentation....Is to ALWAYS gather data from multiple sources, as much of what you'll find is not exactly correct.

A good example would be TAIU and other testing of Japanese aircraft during and after the war. In most cases the aircraft used were hobbled together wrecks, frankly aircraft the Japanese would no longer fly......To that end, the need for intel so important, the aircraft were babied, quite often flown and controlled wrong, and often in such a state they were running far from peak performance....(the Cape Gloucester Ki-61-I-Ko had only 3 soft runs before its engine siezed).

So in many cases the stats are either too low, or I'd suspect some too high in that I'd "guess" to compensate for not flying a fresh aircraft to their limits they'd tweek the numbers to get a better idea.

Often your best bet is to find every credible source you can.....In that way you'll find extremes either way you can cast out right off, then using a bit of reason determine who's stats would be the most accurate. Not always an average or mean, yet often a lot of sources finding a reasonable mark.

Naturally, you need to be careful of the circumstance of testing.....Was the aircraft pressed, what shape was it in, was the pilot experienced with that specific type of aircraft let alone the quirks each individual aircraft has....and naturally the propaganda and over exuberant fan-boyism going to both the positive and negative.

In the end it's a judgement call.......Yet when folks only take one set of stats and single anecdotes, they are most likely wrong.....be sure.

K2

woofiedog
01-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes... common sense and multiple sources is the best way in reguard to any information. I posted this site as it has some very good reference inforamtion from the era and it pertains to the aircraft we now fly in IL-2. In no way did I post this site as a concrete aircraft performance guide that is the only truth on this subject.