PDA

View Full Version : Requesting an answer

Beltza-U110
12-01-2004, 10:31 AM
La 24ª Flotilla s³lo quiere una respuesta a nuestro ofrecimiento para traducir el juego al espaol. Lo que nos aceptamos es el desprecio del silencio.

The 24ª Flotilla only wants an answer to our offer to translate the game for free into Spanish. What we not accept is the scorn of silence.

Comandante del U 110 de la 24ª Flotilla Geweih
http://www.24flotilla.com/%7EDescargas/Beltza/Beltza-Subsim.jpg

Beltza-U110
12-01-2004, 10:31 AM
La 24ª Flotilla s³lo quiere una respuesta a nuestro ofrecimiento para traducir el juego al espaol. Lo que nos aceptamos es el desprecio del silencio.

The 24ª Flotilla only wants an answer to our offer to translate the game for free into Spanish. What we not accept is the scorn of silence.

HeibgesU999
12-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Is it true that it won't be released in Spanish? Is this confirmed?

UBI soft is never going to let an outside source do translations for a game. They have companies they hire to do this and Ubi's Localization Department is probably the largest in the video game industry, so they have plenty of translators anyway.

If its true it won't be released in Spanish, I wonder what languages it will be released in. With the size of the PC market in Europe, it seems odd that it won't be released in all the major European langueages.

Beltza-U110
12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks HeibgesU999

At the moment we have no notice that it could be translated, the most of the games-sims of Ubi are no translated: SHII, IL2, Pacific Fighters, Destroyer Command. We want to avoid that continues. So we have offered the Dev Team and UbiSoft-Spain to translate the game for free, four months ago. At the moment no response.

HeibgesU999
12-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I really hope they do translate it for you. It is a huge mistake if they don't. I'm shocked that those other games weren't translated especially because Ubisoft is an international games maker. Were those games even translated into French?

It seems to me this practice of not translating their games to foreign languages is costing Ubi a lot of money.

Beltza-U110
12-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Still waiting
Todav*a esperando

Messervy
12-02-2004, 06:39 AM
I support your wish to have it translated but for myself... if there was a Slovenian version of the game I wouldn`t buy it for sure.
I don`t really know what`s the big deal about it.
If it is a matter of national pride than I can understand, otherwise it seems just a little bit out of place. I don´t know how Germans, Austrians and all the others are looking on their movies which are synchronysed.
For me it is double trouble. You don`t get the authentic version + you don`t learn the language.
As I said if it is a matter of national pride than it is O.K. If it is simply because someone is to lazzy to learn the language than it is not O.K.
Oh yes...one more thing. The German U-boat crew speaking spanish?....come on...that is rediculous.

I know I will make some enemies but I couldn` keep it down.

LOL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just to make it sure: I fully support translation of manuals!

DrJonez
12-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Even if the game isn't released in Spanish, someone will make a patch to translate it if there's enough demand for it.

Quit trying to be so dramatic about it.

bertgang
12-02-2004, 09:08 AM
I am with Messervy.

I full support the national trsnslations of the game, as a princple stated by european laws, but I'm not specially interested in an italian translation.

Thanks to not translated games, and forums like this, now I'm able to understand english; ten years ago, my knowledge was really poor.

Mix-Martes86
12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Depends on the point of view. If the game wasn't translated into English, I'm sure that English-speaking people would flood the forums, asking for a translated game.

Messervy
12-02-2004, 10:02 AM
You got the point here!

But...Since English is (I belive) commonly accepted international language I think that it is reasonable to expect that English is primary language.

P.S. Bertgang thank you for Your personal example http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It really makes me glad when people are able to look at the matter from possitive angle!

Jose.MaC
12-03-2004, 07:50 AM
I did something better: got an scottish girlfriend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif She's so cute!

NubeRoja
12-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Messervy

it's true, the German crews didn't speak Spanish, but my question is...

They spoke English??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

It seems to me that it is a ridiculous http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif "point of view". To be faithful with the reality the game must leave in German and all we will learn the language of Wagner.

bertgang
12-03-2004, 09:04 AM
I wonder if the "not into spanish? ...no SH3" idea is taken, as it seems to me, from the italian advertising campaign where George Clooney says "No Martini?...no party!"

If so, as often said, the world is a small village.

AKA44
12-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Are we speaking of a oral or written translation ?
Oral would be totally dumb, it's not a game like tomb raider it's a simulation where u are in command of a ship of a national fleet.But written would allow to understand technical terms that could help u to use the game.

DerSchweiger
12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
another point of view....

Im german, therefore german is my native language!
We are talking about a game that is simulating a german sub of the WWII. I dont't care if english is an international language, for me it would be awful to hear my crew speaking english on a german boat or having english labels on the instruments.
If i have to play the game in english i would say that this sim doesn't simulate a german boat correctly!!

my point of view http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

... as i exspect german on a german sub, i would exspect english on a english or american sub!

Jose.MaC
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Even international subtitles would be nice! You know, sometimes is so tech that you need a dictionary to understand exactly what is happening.

Mix-Martes86
12-03-2004, 12:41 PM
We agree that German should be present due to the fact that it's about german subs. But we're asking for the translation of the subtitles too. As for the fact of having voices in Spanish, that's not a sure thing yet. Or at least nobody me told that there is a will of translating voices too.

Messervy
12-03-2004, 01:36 PM
OK! Let me summarize on what we agree - dissagre:

Agreed
1. Translation of manuals
2. Translation of subtitles

Dissagreed
1. Voice over into Spanish

P.S. For me personaly I don`t want english voices. I will stricly use German but with subtitles.

@NubeRoja

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it's true, the German crews didn't speak Spanish, but my question is...

They spoke English???

It seems to me that it is a ridiculous "point of view". To be faithful with the reality the game must leave in German and all we will learn the language of Wagner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said before: English is first and foremost international language so it is natural to have games in English.
SH 3 depicts the life on the GERMAN submarine therefore the voices must be in GERMAN (I take no other language for that).
I agree that every nation can have subbtitles in their own language. (this is hardly a problem and You guys have my full moral support for that).
And finally my humble belief: It seems to me that since allmost all of you guys understand English, the real problem lies elswhere. As i stated in the other thread I think it is a national pride that is involved.

There are representatives of many nations in this forum and yet we don`t go screaming about language. I wonder does that make us less proud?

NubeRoja
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Our request doesn't go against any language and it is not a problem about the national pride, the Spanish is spoken in many countrys and we will be very happy if the SHIII is published in many languages. I believe it's a right for all the players.

We offered to Ubisoft the possibility to translating the SHIII in Spanish language gatuitously, this was in the month of August and today we do not have answer. The proposal has origin in 24th Flotilla Geweih and this composing by players of Spain, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, etc. I invite you to visit our page and see all the works about the SHII and Destroyer Command.

Messervy
12-03-2004, 02:19 PM
I would love to.....a link maybe?

Subsim
12-03-2004, 02:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jose.MaC:
I did something better: got an scottish girlfriend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif She's so cute! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, so where's the picture?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

kolbus
12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
12-03-2004, 03:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:
Agreed
1. Translation of manuals
2. Translation of subtitles

Dissagreed
1. Voice over into Spanish <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Messervy on this one. I must admit I'm a bit of a stickler for authenticity. I want my U-Boat crew speaking German, writing German (in the log) and I want all instruments to be labelled in German. If I want an English translation I'll switch optional subtitles on. I'm the same way with movies - If I see a movie set in Roman times (for example Gladiator) I'd prefer to see it in Latin with English subtitles - because English wasn't even invented at the time. Hearing ancient Romans speak English just strikes me as odd, and it doesn't spur me on to learn more about latin, or to broaden my linguistic horizons.

Everyone should have the right to have the game subtitled into whatever language they prefer, but DUBBED? Are we really so pathetically insular that we have to have the game DUBBED into our mother tongues? I thought dubbing was just a symptom of a particularly American/British form of reverse-snobbery and xenophobia. Maybe such nonsense is more widespread than I thought.

hauitsme
12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, that leaves out about 85% of the people that potentially would buy it. They have not the time nor inclination to learn another language just to play a game. If they can't understand what the setting of various controls are because they're labelled in something foreign, why pay good money for something you can't/won't play?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-03-2004, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hauitsme:
Well, that leaves out about 85% of the people that potentially would buy it. They have not the time nor inclination to learn another language just to play a game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one's asking them to. Like I said, subtitles should be sufficient for anyone. In my opinion, if a game like this already features subtitles, dubbing the game into non-German languages is just a way of getting something that's both unrealistic and completely unnecessary just to satisfy a xenophobic person's sense of entitlement.

Apart from that, there's the fact that the Spanish messages on this forum are taking on the appearance of spam. I mean when it started out I was all for a Spanish language version (at least in terms of text), but now this push for the game to be dubbed into Spanish is beginning to look like a nationalistic crusade by a bunch of bullies, rather than a real quest for equal rights by a group of disenfranchised gamers. Why are we beset by seven separate threads that are constantly being bumped. Surely one should be enough. The six extra threads cannot be helping the cause, because they surely annoy more members than they will ever convince, and since they're mostly in Spanish, they're probably not even going to be understood by anyone who can actually make a difference (because this is the English language forum, and the game is being made by French and Romanian folks). When Spanish Silent Hunter III fans post requests here in Spanish, it's kinda like the BBC wanting George Bush to give a TV interview, but only broadcasting the request on Japanese TV. The people who could arrange such a thing aren't likely to get the message.

hauitsme
12-03-2004, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Beeryus:
Like I said, subtitles should be sufficient for anyone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just how are subtitles used to know what the controls are? What the settings are on those controls? Being 'xenophobic' has absolutely nothing to do with it. Why should anyone have to learn a different language to play a game?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-03-2004, 05:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hauitsme:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Beeryus:
Like I said, subtitles should be sufficient for anyone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just how are subtitles used to know what the controls are? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most sims, mouseover a control and you generally see a subtitle for that control.

HeibgesU999
12-03-2004, 05:31 PM
One of the most important things in war is good communications. If someone has to take the time to read subtitles, while trying to look through the periscope, and adjust the TDC, this is not good communication.

It would be very difficult to play a teamwork based wargame simulation while having to read subtitles. Especially,if it is game sensitive info like, say, the soundman reports you passing a thermal layer.

Having to read subtitles makes the game less immersive and therefore unrealistic.

Now if I were watching "Mephisto" or "Colonel Redl" i might disagree, but I think Ubi should localize into all major European languages.

But I'm sure there are pirates out there who will localize not only Voicelines, but the manual and the box. By not fully localizing their products, Ubi leaves the opportunity for these pirates to steal their profits.

This is a huge problem in the video game industry, and Ubi is not making it easier to stop by their lack of localization.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-03-2004, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
One of the most important things in war is good communications. If someone has to take the time to read subtitles, while trying to look through the periscope, and adjust the TDC, this is not good communication. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you play enough, you get to understand the German words. This is part of the learning process. After a few games there should be no need to look at the subtitles anymore. Heck, I learned the Finnish and Russian phrases used in IL-2 Forgotten Battles, and if I can learn the Finnish and Russian phrases I needed to play that game, surely it's not too hard for others to learn the German they need (which will not be much) for this game. I mean to me it seems like a no-brainer - you get to have fun AND you learn a bunch of foreign language phrases that will never be of any use to you elsewhere. Learning useless phrases in a foreign language is surely its own reward - it's an essential skill for use when you're completely drunk at parties. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I learned the words to the entire Russian National Anthem purely for that circumstance.

Messervy
12-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Beeryus wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Apart from that, there's the fact that the Spanish messages on this forum are taking on the appearance of spam. I mean when it started out I was all for a Spanish language version (at least in terms of text), but now this push for the game to be dubbed into Spanish is beginning to look like a nationalistic crusade by a bunch of bullies, rather than a real quest for equal rights by a group of disenfranchised gamers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point exactly!
I think their message got trough or was deliberately overlooked. Either way I think they should battle it out with UbiSoft and give our forum a break.
Perhaps UbiRazz will be kind enough to put this issue on the top so they can have their own battleground!

DerSchweiger
12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
don't have red all of the postings due to a lack of time.

Don't missunderstood me.
It would be nice if the game would be published in many languages as possible, including spanish and french, with spanish (or french) voices, subtitles and control labels. Publishing the game in many languages will push the success of sh3... good for us all.
I don' say that i don't want to have sh3 in other languages, but i would not play it if i only had a english or spanish version.

My grandfather served on an german sub and it would be impossible for me to play this game hearing english spoken words!

greetings DerSchweiger

hauitsme
12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Who's going to spend the hours and hours being totally frustrated with every single thing you have to do during a typical sitting? What if you get it wrong in the translation? It'll kill you. One forgotten or misinterpreted phrase and that's it! Just because it's easy to you does in no way make it easy for others. What's easy for me doesn't make it easy for you.

You have no problem with this since you already understand a different language, which just happens to be the one you're arguing against the DevTeam releasing in someone elses language, whatever it may be. You're back to that 'it's not realistic' if it's not in German bit.
"..dubbing the game into non-German languages is just a way of getting something that's both unrealistic and completely unnecessary.."

While I'm playing a game with voices to hear or text to read, I expect that if I'm supposed to be one of the characters, I can understand everything that's being said to me and what I say, be it German or Alpha Centauran in MY language, not one I don't understand.

Even if they don't do it themselves and it's left for the modders to do, at least the DevTeam can make it easy to relabel all controls into any language. All voice commands should be easily replaceable. Anything with any text must be easily replaceable the same way.

Messervy
12-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Beeryus wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I learned the Finnish and Russian phrases used in IL-2 Forgotten Battles.
Learning useless phrases in a foreign language is surely its own reward - it's an essential skill for use when you're completely drunk at parties. I learned the words to the entire Russian National Anthem purely for that circumstance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifLLLLOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!!
Now I am going to get that Il2 - Finnish you said? He, he...This gotta be fun.
And the morning after the party you get a nice finnish "kaarpulla" - Hangover!!!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NubeRoja
12-04-2004, 03:56 AM
Messervy

here the link http://www.24flotilla.com

I forget it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Messervy
12-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Man.....I like that periscope view in the top left corner. Great job! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Mancuso24
12-04-2004, 06:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:
Man.....I like that periscope view in the top left corner. Great job! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you turned your speakers on? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Our web is being redesigned by our webmaster MAC nowadays. I recently had the opportunity to see a preview and I can tell you our new web will be much more well-organized and impressive. Just stay tunned to the 24th wave! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mancuso24
12-04-2004, 06:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Subsim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jose.MaC:
I did something better: got an scottish girlfriend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif She's so cute! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, so where's the picture?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here you have, Neal. I got some paparazzis to do the work!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The pic was taken just before she had some operations to get better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
http://www.abcfamosas.com.ar/actrices/niki_cox/images/nikki23_jpg.jpg

Mac un abrazoteeeeee, que suerte tienes joio!!

Mix-Martes86
12-04-2004, 06:43 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Messervy
12-04-2004, 08:26 AM
@ mancuso24

Great music. I also see you have models. I have a 1:72 scale model of Flower class Corvette. When I dig out the negatives I will send you the pictures. I made custom built lights and it looks awesome!

Mancuso24
12-04-2004, 09:11 AM
@ mancuso24

Great music. I also see you have models. I have a 1:72 scale model of Flower class Corvette. When I dig out the negatives I will send you the pictures. I made custom built lights and it looks awesome! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks man! The OMN (Naval Modelism Office) is one of our best reputed and known offices. WE´re very proud of it. I myself am now messing around with a Type XXI (1:144 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), waiting to buy an aerograph to paint it. I encourage you keep on visiting our website.

BTW, cool that banner of yours!!

Pr0metheus 1962
12-04-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm going to build the 1:72 scale Revell kit of the Type VIIc U-Boat. I'm going to build it as U-267 (one of the only operational U-Boats that never killed anyone, never sank anything, never suffered any crewmen killed, and survived the war after 7 patrols).

AKA44
12-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Sounds more like a Swiss u-boat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Messervy
12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Queker U-Boat? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif