PDA

View Full Version : Any New Radio Chatter Immersion?

swambast
11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I simply CRINGE at the repetitive, boring radio chatter/communications from the AI. And, by the way, why does my AI call out "Good Kill, he's going down" after the enemy plane has crashed and exploded into a hundred pieces?

Anyway - Does anyone know if there has ever been a more immersive communication/chatter set made? I know there was BBQ's sound pack at one point, but I believe that only changed the voices to English?

God, that's one of the things I really, really respect about European Air War, that old classic.

PBNA-Boosher
11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Not always so...

I remember my first combat as a Japanese pilot with AI wingmen. One got hit and burst into flame.

The pilot screamed something awful. I still am not used to it.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Got the Italian speech pack? They might as well be reading from a restaurant menu for all the good I am, but it's very well done.

Nice sentiments about the Clash, btw http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SeaFireLIV
11-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by swambast:
I simply CRINGE at the repetitive, boring radio chatter/communications from the AI. And, by the way, why does my AI call out "Good Kill, he's going down" after the enemy plane has crashed and exploded into a hundred pieces?

There were a couple of modded speech packs that added extra sounds and whistles. That was Extreme one`s I think, not sure and another that distorted the sounds so they were less clear and crackly, that was a good one.

I myself have switched and cut sounds so theyfit better with certain actions. For instance I completed deleted the, "Where are you, get back in formation!" Because he`d say it even in a dogfight which was amazingly annoying.

I switched the Leader`s "Return to base." When you are damaged or crashland with, "Are you ok?" Which sounds much more realistic.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Ibis
11-23-2005, 03:13 AM
I like the Aussie pack. When calling for fighter support:
"Bloody hell where are you bastards"
"To day would be a good time"
"Stick that in your rice cooker" plus many more that I can't recall, I must go back to New Guinea and do a few more runs in my Beau.

Feathered_IV
11-23-2005, 03:35 AM
I like the, "Watch where yer shootin' yer flammin' mongrel"

HotelBushranger
11-23-2005, 03:40 AM
And 'Mix that with yer rice!' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

money_money
11-23-2005, 03:57 AM
I like "This is Root Rat one, ect...ect"
Where I come from, a "root rat" is slang for a sex maniac.

<3 $

WTE_Ibis
11-23-2005, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by money_money:
I like "This is Root Rat one, ect...ect"
Where I come from, a "root rat" is slang for a sex maniac.

<3 $

It means the same here m8 that's what makes it so funny. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

swambast
11-23-2005, 05:32 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Anyone have links to some of these sound packs, or can give me a starting web page? Thanks again!

turnipkiller
11-23-2005, 06:36 AM
I seem to recall hearing about some packs for Germany that were spoken in English but with a heavy accent. Perfect for someone like me who can't speak German. Does anyone know about this or is it just my own imagination and the 3 cups of coffee talking. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

swambast
11-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have a better understanding of how voice/speech is used during the game?

For example, in the C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\samples\Speech\US directory, there are 8 actors listed. When are each of these used? How does the game determine this - is it randomly selected or not? Thanks for any further advice, links, insight into this!

LEBillfish
11-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Okie Dokie............I put together a .rar fully compressed of the following;

A new rcu file
New .cmd files for the Chatter Bandaid
New Speech packs for all nationalities in their own language
New background chatter pack files
New sound files
New era music files and radio broadcasts (many not included and some not working due to not being in the correct format)
IL2FBwav.exe already set up (desktop icon and shortcut not included)
Chatter Bandaid directories and files already set up
IL2FBwav.exe & Chatterpack Bandaid cab & .zip as stand alones with their own "readme's" included in them.

What is not included are a number of old radio broadcasts & various versions of chatter/speech packs.......This is simply how I currently have it all set up.

It came out to 543mb..........

So, what do you want in pieces, here is what I have.

Chatter Bandaid.....
A collection of new lines to add to your rcu file, new .cmd files, and new folders (no actual files to fill them)...That allow you to change "Background radio Traffic once "in" the sim.

IL2FBwav.exe......
This nice little program allows you to sort out what background music/chatter files play together. It requires however setting it to do so BEFORE you fly yet a nice utility the chatter bandaid above enhances.

Background Chatter Packs......
Background chatter packs play during "take off" (when on the runway)..."In Flight", and upon a "Crash".....What they are is background radio chatter unrelated to what you are doing including static and what not. I have them for Japanese, German, British, and American.....I also have them set up so you get some cross traffic from the enemy per your Theatre of Operation.

Era Music and radio broadcasts......
These play with the above or in place of. News broadcasts, music, propaganda and so on by "theatre".

Speech packs......
All my speech packs are in native languages, accents and dialects. They include Austrailian, German, Dutch Java, English Java, Finland, France, Great Britain in two versions, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Scandinavian, U.S.........some stock some not.

SOund Files.........
You all have these just aren't using them in most cases......However, if we added more and "ALL" had them, then those that did could hear this stuff during briefings. So essentially we could add news broadcasts, or various other sounds.....(work great in online coops if folks have music on).

Various era music, propaganda & news broadcasts....
Sadly many not in the right format & I'm not sure how to get them there or would be added into my chatter packs.

swambast
11-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Well god darn that is awesome. Where can I get the entire .RAR?

LEBillfish
11-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by swambast:
Well god darn that is awesome. Where can I get the entire .RAR?

You can't, I know of no where to up load a copy or I would to make it easy......It didn't even include most of the news/music/propaganda files.

swambast
11-23-2005, 01:28 PM
OK, can you provide the background chatter pack for American speech, and also these:

Chatter Bandaid.....
A collection of new lines to add to your rcu file, new .cmd files, and new folders (no actual files to fill them)...That allow you to change "Background radio Traffic once "in" the sim.

IL2FBwav.exe......
This nice little program allows you to sort out what background music/chatter files play together. It requires however setting it to do so BEFORE you fly yet a nice utility the chatter bandaid above enhances.

Maybe you can email them to me at swambast -at- yahoo -dot- com

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Don't know if this thread might be of interest to you...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=306102681

Saunders1953
11-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey LB, could you upload it to Sim Outhouse, Airwarfare, or Flying Legends? They all have "Utility" files for downloading.

JunkoIfurita
11-23-2005, 03:25 PM
LeBillFish, why not set up a torrent?

I'm *relatively* certain how to do this: PM me and I'll give you the upload details to my FTP server, then I'll see about setting up a torrent for the community to get to.

This speech pack is something I've been hanging out for, and I'm sure I'm not alone...

----

swambast
11-23-2005, 07:57 PM
FYI, what I'm really looking for an updated U.S. speech pack with more immersion/chatter...if it exists...

Grue_
11-24-2005, 06:21 AM
I've got the chatter packs that used to be hosted from this link:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb...._topic;f=98;t=006935 (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=98;t=006935)

They provide excellent background chatter and static however they are gone now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The files were called germanchatter.zip japanesechatter.zip russianchatter.zip and uschatter.zip.

See if you can get hold of TripleA to see if they are still hosted somewhere.

LEBillfish
11-24-2005, 06:45 AM
What's a free large file upload site?.....I'll put together various bundles and then write up an assembly Readme.....

swambast
11-24-2005, 11:35 AM
LEBillfish, check your private messages, I've got us a temporary home.

Saunders1953
11-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Bump! And Happy Thanksgiving.

LEBillfish
11-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Ok, I'm trying to sort all this out now and swambast has offered an FTP site WHICH I will only upload to with his assurance it will be kept up and made publically available to the rest.........As I'll not take the time to upload all this for each person on an individual basis.....So if not will do so elsewhere.

Additionally, as one would expect many of these have "copyright" stipulations included in them to not distribute. One example being the Great Britain background chatter pack which came from a BoB campaign that was "publically" distributed..........So naturally if the originators ask for them to be pulled down...they MUST BE!!!

The last question is that I have a number of old wartime news and music broadcasts as well as a number of .ram links I need to try and rip.
Unfortunately ALL of those will need to be converted to the proper format.....

So, do you just want chunks that you'll have to figure out how to assemble yourselves with much missing.......Or......Do you want a simple easy to install sound package that will put everyone on par?......If the second option I'd take the time to add the news broadcasts so they can even be used in "briefing windows" and then all that have them can hear them.

What the above would mean if done is.....
1. When you join a coop, df server (maybe) or campaign mission where the mission builder has designated a file.....You'll hear sound effects, news broadcasts, propaganda, etc. that they have selected. (ex. For a BoB mission you might hear actual news broadcasts of the blitz or Churchills speech, etc.)
2. Speech packs for AI will be in native dialects and languages, many with static to sound more real (a good example of this is Java Dutch).
3. Once in the sim while on the field (for some), then once in the air, you will hear background chatter of your side (be it JA, DE, RU, US, GB, etc.) AND sprinklings of enemy cross traffic so BASED ON THEATRE. These are constant background traffic files that play in ADDITION to the immediate combat chatter.
4. Once in the sim you can switch to the ENEMY chatter based on theatre OR civilian news and music stations....These are constant background traffic files that play in ADDITION to the immediate combat chatter.
5. Various news and background music based on THEATRE & DATE......
6. The ability to orginize all this with IL2FBwav.exe within it's limitations BEFORE in the sim.
7. The ability to pick and choose all this with ChatterBandaid once IN THE SIM.

All set up, simply install into your il2 folder, switch on music, and enjoy.

Up to you, let me know as in the end it may be upwards of a Gig in size.....Naturally it can be broken up into numerous self assembling downloads......(download say 20, 20mb .rar/.zip files, and once done when you click the first one it will extract them all assembling the data)

Saunders1953
11-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Bump. LB, as a beggar, I won't be choosy. Probably would be best to break it up into digestable bits, but either way we will appreciate your work on this. Thanks in advance.

swambast
11-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Saunders, I have spent days scouring the web and hunting down these speech/sound packs, and have come up with quite a few "lost" files. What are you especially interested in - and I'll see if I have it.

Also, I've been PM LEBillfish and she might upload my selected requested files at my FTP. If she does, I will provide you PM instructions on access. Let me know what it is you're after, I'll see if I can get it to you!

swambast
11-26-2005, 02:52 PM
By the way, I have also attempted contact to TripleA. My main intent here was to create new U.S. chatter packs, based on some exciting WW2 sound files I've uncovered. To be honest, this is kind of what started this whole thread to begin with. I was going to seek his permission to use his previous U.S. chatter pack as a starting point, so that the sound files would flow nicely and be smoothly integrated into the existing ones, just giving you more variety. Since I'm not a sound guru, I can't go at this alone, even though I've already tried somewhat. I really need someone with solid sound editing abilities to "mix in" the files I've uncovered.

Anyway, I am hopeful he'll respond. If anyone else knows a way to reach him, please PM me!!!

LEBillfish
11-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Ok, as I post this I'm sending swambast a 176 Mb .rar file.......In it are a few of the things I have.......So fill up his pm box guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

First off, this is NOT assembled as I have mine. So to that end you'll have to do that yourselves. In kind, some of the music and news files will NOT play on IL2 as they are not in the correct format. Also their is a list of "streaming media".........Meaning, I have not saved those files and they're still on the web no doubt needing both download/save and conversion.

Once I get all my stuff converted and assembled, I'll see about posting back again with a finished replacement IL2\Samples directory with all files contained.

What I ask regarding what I'm sending swambast is 2 things........First, READ and DO NOT delete the various readme's.....The folks that made this stuff worked hard and deserve the credit. Second, I ask that he try and make all this available to you folks somehow. I'd personally rather not till it's completed and in a format where we can all interact well (using news clips and such in coop briefings).

Saunders1953
12-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Bump, mostly... Thanks Swambast and LB for your work on this--very much appreciated, although I haven't had time to get to it this week. I'm at work now, but hope to follow this up tonight or over the weekend. Swambast, I'm mostly interested US, RAF, RAAF packs you've got because I'm looking for some variety in all those languages I can understand--American, British, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif