View Full Version : Torpedo Attacks

Antonio_MRZ
10-29-2004, 04:10 AM
Has anyone noticed if the problems of IL-2 FB with torpedo attack have
been corrected in Pacific Fighter?

Or are we going to pay for the third time (IL-2, IL-2 FB and PF) for the same
"Star Trek's torpedoes" that hit the enemy ship however, whenever and
wherever you launch them, and for the same dumb AI torpedo planes that attack
the enemy ships only on the right side? :-)

I believe that this minor drawback of IL-2, if not addressed, becomes
very serious in a game where naval attack should be 90% of the action.

Antonio

Antonio_MRZ
10-29-2004, 04:10 AM
Has anyone noticed if the problems of IL-2 FB with torpedo attack have
been corrected in Pacific Fighter?

Or are we going to pay for the third time (IL-2, IL-2 FB and PF) for the same
"Star Trek's torpedoes" that hit the enemy ship however, whenever and
wherever you launch them, and for the same dumb AI torpedo planes that attack
the enemy ships only on the right side? :-)

I believe that this minor drawback of IL-2, if not addressed, becomes
very serious in a game where naval attack should be 90% of the action.

Antonio

WildeSau
10-29-2004, 04:16 AM
No, it's not corrected unfortunately. One good thing however (at least sometimes...) is that you need quiet a bunch of torpedos to sink a ship. But otherwise still the same torpedo behaviour.

Michael the WildeSau

effte
10-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Little did I know, way back when I was playing PAW 1942 and cursing those torpedoes which half the time exploded when they hit the water, that I would one day miss them.

rodion_zero
10-29-2004, 05:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by effte:
Little did I know, way back when I was playing PAW 1942 and cursing those torpedoes which half the time exploded when they hit the water, that I would one day miss them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL that happened in AOTP too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-RODION

matthewlue
10-29-2004, 05:48 AM
Yea, in PAW & AOTP, the torp. must be dropped at LOW attitude, say below 200ft & LOW speed. and they accurately simulated that, Jap. torps. can drop at a little bit higher alt & speed than the us torps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I miss them all.

actionhank1786
10-29-2004, 07:45 AM
I'm sure they'll figure it out! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I mean they've done the impossible (muzzle flash) and i'm sure they just wanted to focus on getting the core parts of the game, now that it's out they can get more specific on other areas.

Stuntie
10-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeah PAW rocked for tor******s.

Given that the torp problems was a significant historical factor they should definately add duds.

And fix the AI. Duff tor****** AI for PF is a problem as many of the major battles are aircraft vs ships.

odol_55
10-29-2004, 10:10 AM
i have made some torpedo test

map okinawa
offline / qmb
plane: a20/beaufighter + mk 13 torpedo
both planes used the mk13 torpedo, anyway i made this test with both planes.

i made this test to find out, where is the critical altitute and speed for a torpedo drop.

Altitute Test:

alt speed result
300m 400kmh torp. exploded
150m 380kmh " "
100m 380kmh torp. worked
120m 340kmh torp. worked
130m 340kmh torp. exploded
120m 380kmh torp. worked
125m 380kmh torp. exploded

Speed Test:

100m 420kmh torp. worked
100m 450kmh " "
100m 480kmh " "
100m 520kmh " "

result:
critical alt. is 125m, above 125m everytime the torpedo exploded. dropping your torpedo below 100m - you should be on the save side.

it looks like there is no critical speed for dropping torpedos, they worked fine up to 520kmh speed over ground.

historical was torpedo dropping harder, max. speed should be between 300 and 350 kmh and an altitute between 15 & 50m (depends on the version - earlier torps. slower and lower / later torps. faster and higher).

the actual speeds and alt. compare more to torpedos in the 50s.

greets

odol