PDA

View Full Version : Jacqueline Saint Anne Interview!



UbiNoemie
09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Imagine yourself a Famed Costume Designer: <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Jacqueline Saint Anne</span> Tells All!

Meet Jacqueline Saint Anne, Emmy award-winning designer and costume guru for film, television and the stage. Jacqueline is a grand dame of the entertainment industry having headed the Costume Designers Guild, taught master fashion design classes and has been involved with FIDM, USC, UCLA, UCLB http://fidm.edu/ over many, many years. We are privileged to have her in our midst?

Tell us a bit more about you and your story:

I was born in Panama. I’ve lived in Paris as well. I’ve always believed in perspiration and aspiration as well as inspiration when it comes to designing clothes! When reading books as a child, I always thought of stories visually and would draw what I saw in my head. After college, I earned a Master degree in costume design and got a design job right away! Lucky me. A costume can tell just as much about a character as their words and so can clothes. After all, clothes are one of the most creative ways to say who you are and what you are about. Reading books, looking at all types of art and creating images from my imagination has continued to play a large part in my creative process, it’s a very personal and individual process for everyone.?
?When did you first know you wanted to work in fashion and the movies?
I’ve always been fascinated by the color and design of clothes from different cultures and periods of history. I have a passion for story telling through costumes and it has served me well. I had a very charismatic teacher who inspired me to follow theatre design as a career choice and I followed her as an example of how to be the best and most passionate designer I could be.

What do you like best about being costume designer?

Every single day is different: a new day; a new character, a new set; a new challenge. There are so many ways to dress people and tell a story. It’s never easy, but this is why I love it.

This is the challenge of fashion too. The simple concept of a T shirt can be designed with a different inspiration every day. I love that about the job.

How is it different—designing for the runway versus designing for the screen or stage?

You start with a design and then go in 2 different directions. If you are designing for a costume, you can design it to fit one person specifically and it could cost $10,000! But if you are designing for a line for stores like H&M or Abercrombie & Fitch, you want it to fit and appeal to 10,000 people and be able to be manufactured for the smallest price to have the smallest retail price.

If, however, you are designing for a runway collection, there are no limits on your creativity and the cost of manufacture is not a factor because the "Runway Show" is your art piece. One of my favorite, most creative runway designers was Yves St Laurent. His inspirations came from his travels—his shows were full of wild colors and fabrics, and he brought exotic locations to the world stage and his excitement inspired street fashion all over the world.

Can you tell us what it felt like to win an Emmy? Who did you thank? More importantly—what did you wear?

Being nominated for an Emmy was like winning already. It was a huge deal to me. The time from winning a nomination to attending to the Emmy’s when the winner is announced is like being a princess in a fairytale. Having your peers and colleagues congratulate and acknowledge you is the most wonderful feeling. When the envelope opens and they YOUR NAME, it is like a giant wave of emotion crashes over you. I blushed, felt overwhelmed, was nervous and very proud all at once. I remember thinking “How did I get from where I started… to this?”

I thanked my producers, actors, crew, my family who came to the Emmys with me and all the appropriate people. I was overwhelmed. I’m not a performer as I am always behind the lights but being in those lights I felt at once like a fish out of water and on top of the world. It was amazing.

Before the event it was a whirlwind at my house. I was sewing everyone's buttons, adjusting their tuxedos, helping with everyone's last minute details. When I saw the press pictures afterwards, there I was… without a stitch of makeup on. I had been so busy dressing everyone else that I just forgot. Still, I was wearing a magnificent outfit: a Christian Dior flaming orange suit. I definitely looked impressive.

What is your personal favorite Emmy red carpet looks from years past? If you had to choose your top 3?

Jennifer Love Hewitt wore a black and white Carolina Herrera dress at the 2008 Emmy Awards.
In 2009 Sandra Oh wore a beautiful and simple beaded gown
In 2010 Olivia Wilde in Reem A

What is your favorite fashion ?

Yves St Laurent stuff is great. I love the late 60’s carnaby street image. I am a fickle lover of fashion and so the looks I love change daily. I always think about my mother and her sense of fashion. My dad loved to surprise her with clothes. He thought she was a doll and wanted her to have everything. I loved one outfit in particular. It was a lace look cocktail dress, but ankle length. She looked amazing in it. It was one of the most stunning dresses ever and I remember it fondly.

What advice would you give young women about getting into the fashion or costume design industry--knowing what you know now?

I never imagined I would be standing there and winning an Emmy. It was such a surprising moment. The day to day excitement of designing and doing what I loved was enough. I want all young girls to love that they do. When fashion started happening as a career, it was totally un-planned, but, I worked hard and I never let anyone tell me no. My advice would be to fall in love with what you are creating. Enjoy and revel in the process of creating and don’t worry about the end goal, because it will happen. Imagine big and live your dreams!

Thank you Jacqueline for answering our questions!

Jacqueline will be judging the top 10 creations you did for the Emmys event, so be sure to participate! Let us know what you think and if you have any other questions for her!

Aunella
09-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Yay!She's here!Is she on the forums though?

sassyfashion
09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
is it fun being a costume designer?

Angel4503
09-16-2011, 02:49 PM
OMG!!!!!!SO COOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

UbiDarla
09-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow, what an amazing designer with fantastic advice! I checked out her favorite Emmy looks and they are TO DIE FOR. Here is a link to the last one she mentioned, so gorgeous and classy! Olivia Wilde in Reem A (http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/Olivia%20Wilde%20in%20Reem%20Acra.jpg)

skylight22
09-16-2011, 04:23 PM
OMG!!! Hello, Jacqueline Saint Anne! Welcome to the Imagine Town forums! I'm going to Google you right now! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

skylight22
09-16-2011, 04:24 PM
WOW!!! You are so pretty! I envy your job!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Carmen-Shay
09-16-2011, 04:58 PM
It is not Saint Claire! that is a whole other person! It is Saint Anne silly! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

sassyfashion
09-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by UbiDarla:
Wow, what an amazing designer with fantastic advice! I checked out her favorite Emmy looks and they are TO DIE FOR. Here is a link to the last one she mentioned, so gorgeous and classy! Olivia Wilde in Reem A (http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/Olivia%20Wilde%20in%20Reem%20Acra.jpg)

wow!! its beautiful!

skylight22
09-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Carmen-Shay:
It is not Saint Claire! that is a whole other person! It is Saint Anne silly! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif
Oops, I meant that, but I did look up Saint Anne... guess I was thinking of something else when I was typing it! Hehe...

yucaistudent
09-16-2011, 10:13 PM
What do you mean by the top ten creations? Do you mean the Emmy contest on the forum?

lizi9955
09-16-2011, 11:35 PM
OMG! I googled her, clicked on her IMDb and scrolled through her acting work and I found out that the work she did goes back to the 70's! Oh, and her designs are too gorgeous! HeeHee!

pinkgeek2011
09-16-2011, 11:49 PM
OMG! She Designed the costumes for one of Layla's FAVE shows,quantum leap!

BostonCutie
09-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh my gosh, this is so cool!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So sorry about that! I just really LOVE fashion!
I'm a follower of that ten year old designer, Cecelia something!
I LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE fashion with ALL my heart!

BostonCutie
09-16-2011, 11:53 PM
I THINK I MIGHT FAINT!

DramaMama17
09-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Well, this a first. A celebrity interview on the Imagine Town Forums! Think of the publicity Saint Anne could bring to Imagine Town!

Design101
09-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Wow!!!!!! I love fashion designing so.. costume designing would be awsome! I saw the dress........BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Melissa willow

hermione2011
09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
My lifelong dream is to become a professional fashion designer! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

UbiNoemie
09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi Girls!

Thanks for your questions and interest in being judged by Jacqueline! She watched the Emmy's and she wants to share the Emmys night standouts with you.

"I started watching at 2 o’clock and watched until the Emmys started at 5!

Standouts included Zooey Deschanel in a pink Monique L’hullier dress.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ptxdte.jpg

She loved it because it had Pockets! What a wonderful idea for an evening dress.

Lea Michele stepped out in a red Marchesa dress with great shoulders...

http://i53.tinypic.com/27wrrkx.jpg

... and look who is growing into a beautiful young woman! Kelly Osbourne looked ravishing in a Tony Ward dress.

http://i55.tinypic.com/vxnkn5.png


But designers, the best for me was Melissa McCarthy who wore her OWN design that she drew and made with a Hollywood cutter/fitter.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uejk00.jpg

That was so exciting for me to see that she had the courage to wear what she envisioned for herself in an evening when every famous fashion designer in the world was showing off!

Yea Melissa!"

Thanks Jacqueline for sharing your feelings with us!

Let us know what you think about those looks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sakuramei
09-20-2011, 06:50 PM
I think I like Zooey Deschanel's and Lea's dresses the best http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

skylight22
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
If I had to choose one to wear? Melissa's, for sure. Second place is Kelly, but I would never wear that, my mom would kill me...

artsaboveall
09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Oh I love Kelly's dress!! It's so edgy and sophisticated!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

loveangel143
09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
I http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif Kelly Osburne! Her dress is the best for me!!! Second is Lea's it's very chic and EMMY!!

nicole92598
09-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Nice DRESSES! and lolz ERIN! Ur mom wud never let u WEAR it! HAHA!

nicole92598
09-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by artsaboveall:
Oh I love Kelly's dress!! It's so edgy and sophisticated!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ACTUALLY THAT ONE WAS MY FAVE TOO! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BostonCutie
09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I like Kelly's the best!
It's so chic and elegant! I love her pose!

-does pose-
LOl!

UbiDarla
09-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Oh, I love Zooey Deschanel in that dress! She just looks perfect! And I agree, Kelly Osbourn's dress is stunning. Those are my two favorites! Thanks for sharing your insight as a professional Jacqueline!

UbiLorelai
09-21-2011, 04:41 PM
I love the fact that Melissa McCarthy designed her own dress to wear! She is a great role model.

Thank you Jacqueline for being an inspiration and role model as well!

UbiJoolywooly
09-21-2011, 10:48 PM
i loved zooey's dress!

emely159
10-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by UbiNoemie:
Imagine yourself a Famed Costume Designer: <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Jacqueline Saint Anne</span> Tells All!

Meet Jacqueline Saint Anne, Emmy award-winning designer and costume guru for film, television and the stage. Jacqueline is a grand dame of the entertainment industry having headed the Costume Designers Guild, taught master fashion design classes and has been involved with FIDM, USC, UCLA, UCLB http://fidm.edu/ over many, many years. We are privileged to have her in our midst?

Tell us a bit more about you and your story:

I was born in Panama. I’ve lived in Paris as well. I’ve always believed in perspiration and aspiration as well as inspiration when it comes to designing clothes! When reading books as a child, I always thought of stories visually and would draw what I saw in my head. After college, I earned a Master degree in costume design and got a design job right away! Lucky me. A costume can tell just as much about a character as their words and so can clothes. After all, clothes are one of the most creative ways to say who you are and what you are about. Reading books, looking at all types of art and creating images from my imagination has continued to play a large part in my creative process, it’s a very personal and individual process for everyone.?
?When did you first know you wanted to work in fashion and the movies?
I’ve always been fascinated by the color and design of clothes from different cultures and periods of history. I have a passion for story telling through costumes and it has served me well. I had a very charismatic teacher who inspired me to follow theatre design as a career choice and I followed her as an example of how to be the best and most passionate designer I could be.

What do you like best about being costume designer?

Every single day is different: a new day; a new character, a new set; a new challenge. There are so many ways to dress people and tell a story. It’s never easy, but this is why I love it.

This is the challenge of fashion too. The simple concept of a T shirt can be designed with a different inspiration every day. I love that about the job.

How is it different—designing for the runway versus designing for the screen or stage?

You start with a design and then go in 2 different directions. If you are designing for a costume, you can design it to fit one person specifically and it could cost $10,000! But if you are designing for a line for stores like H&M or Abercrombie & Fitch, you want it to fit and appeal to 10,000 people and be able to be manufactured for the smallest price to have the smallest retail price.

If, however, you are designing for a runway collection, there are no limits on your creativity and the cost of manufacture is not a factor because the "Runway Show" is your art piece. One of my favorite, most creative runway designers was Yves St Laurent. His inspirations came from his travels—his shows were full of wild colors and fabrics, and he brought exotic locations to the world stage and his excitement inspired street fashion all over the world.

Can you tell us what it felt like to win an Emmy? Who did you thank? More importantly—what did you wear?

Being nominated for an Emmy was like winning already. It was a huge deal to me. The time from winning a nomination to attending to the Emmy’s when the winner is announced is like being a princess in a fairytale. Having your peers and colleagues congratulate and acknowledge you is the most wonderful feeling. When the envelope opens and they YOUR NAME, it is like a giant wave of emotion crashes over you. I blushed, felt overwhelmed, was nervous and very proud all at once. I remember thinking “How did I get from where I started… to this?”

I thanked my producers, actors, crew, my family who came to the Emmys with me and all the appropriate people. I was overwhelmed. I’m not a performer as I am always behind the lights but being in those lights I felt at once like a fish out of water and on top of the world. It was amazing.

Before the event it was a whirlwind at my house. I was sewing everyone's buttons, adjusting their tuxedos, helping with everyone's last minute details. When I saw the press pictures afterwards, there I was… without a stitch of makeup on. I had been so busy dressing everyone else that I just forgot. Still, I was wearing a magnificent outfit: a Christian Dior flaming orange suit. I definitely looked impressive.

What is your personal favorite Emmy red carpet looks from years past? If you had to choose your top 3?

Jennifer Love Hewitt wore a black and white Carolina Herrera dress at the 2008 Emmy Awards.
In 2009 Sandra Oh wore a beautiful and simple beaded gown
In 2010 Olivia Wilde in Reem A

What is your favorite fashion ?

Yves St Laurent stuff is great. I love the late 60’s carnaby street image. I am a fickle lover of fashion and so the looks I love change daily. I always think about my mother and her sense of fashion. My dad loved to surprise her with clothes. He thought she was a doll and wanted her to have everything. I loved one outfit in particular. It was a lace look cocktail dress, but ankle length. She looked amazing in it. It was one of the most stunning dresses ever and I remember it fondly.

What advice would you give young women about getting into the fashion or costume design industry--knowing what you know now?

I never imagined I would be standing there and winning an Emmy. It was such a surprising moment. The day to day excitement of designing and doing what I loved was enough. I want all young girls to love that they do. When fashion started happening as a career, it was totally un-planned, but, I worked hard and I never let anyone tell me no. My advice would be to fall in love with what you are creating. Enjoy and revel in the process of creating and don’t worry about the end goal, because it will happen. Imagine big and live your dreams!

Thank you Jacqueline for answering our questions!

Jacqueline will be judging the top 10 creations you did for the Emmys event, so be sure to participate! Let us know what you think and if you have any other questions for her!

emely159
10-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Page 1 2
hi ppl

emely159
10-22-2011, 02:30 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif my computer is like loseing internet http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

emely159
10-22-2011, 02:38 PM
hey where are you from

teacherrock101
10-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Ooh! I hope Jaqueline can make me some clothes! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I don't know if she's going to actually be in Jade Island!

sweetsalena
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
taylor swift

bamber49
11-16-2011, 08:23 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif