PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else still stuck with gameport controls??

mortoma
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one left? I got a set of CH Pro pedals for gameport in 2002 or maybe late 2001. They still work so well that I can't justify just throwing them away. So I still use a gameport stick in conjunction with them. Gameport is as good as USB in most senses but the thing USB can do that gameport can't is open up a ton of other buttons and controls on sticks. A gameport stick must stay with basic axes and usually only two fire buttons. So I still have to use my keyboard for almost everything else.

Am I the only holdout left?

mortoma
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one left? I got a set of CH Pro pedals for gameport in 2002 or maybe late 2001. They still work so well that I can't justify just throwing them away. So I still use a gameport stick in conjunction with them. Gameport is as good as USB in most senses but the thing USB can do that gameport can't is open up a ton of other buttons and controls on sticks. A gameport stick must stay with basic axes and usually only two fire buttons. So I still have to use my keyboard for almost everything else.

Am I the only holdout left?

Chris0382
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Still GP users out there but its almost impossible to find a computer that has a gameport connection today. Let alone a basic serial port.

deskpilot
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I bought a gameprot ch fighterstick and pro pedals on Ebay a few months ago. I thought a simple gameport to usb converter would work, but it doesn't. Neither have the official ch gameport drivers you can download from their website. You can buy a simple plug in usb converter for the pedals but the brakes won't work with that. I bought one of the usb converter circuit boards Leo Bodner produces, the BUO 836 it's called and converted the pedals using that, to usb (and I have ZERO electronics/soldering experience). I'm pleased with my conversion of the pedals, but converting the stick with Leo's board is a way more complex endeavour and I've put that on hold until Someone provides me with a "Noddy does a stick conversion" guide. I've read extensively regarding gameport/usb gear and have arrived at the inescapable conclusion that usb is the future period.

Mr_Zooly
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic26473.html
maybe there is something that might help you on that site?

Sokol__1
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
I use gameporte too: Thrustmaster F-22 PRO + TQS @ digital with B.Church chips. Work fine under Win XP into a PCI gameporte.All 32 buttons, HATS and axis OK.

I get a BU0836 to MOD this to USB, but still works well ... So I postponing the MOD.

But if you have option to buy a new HOTAS localy, retire your gameport controls.

The CH pedal is easy modifiable do USB, with circuit from generic USB stick: http://snomhf.exofire.net/gameportPedals.html

Sokol1

mortoma
01-19-2009, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deskpilot:
I bought a gameprot ch fighterstick and pro pedals on Ebay a few months ago. I thought a simple gameport to usb converter would work, but it doesn't. Neither have the official ch gameport drivers you can download from their website. You can buy a simple plug in usb converter for the pedals but the brakes won't work with that. I bought one of the usb converter circuit boards Leo Bodner produces, the BUO 836 it's called and converted the pedals using that, to usb (and I have ZERO electronics/soldering experience). I'm pleased with my conversion of the pedals, but converting the stick with Leo's board is a way more complex endeavour and I've put that on hold until Someone provides me with a "Noddy does a stick conversion" guide. I've read extensively regarding gameport/usb gear and have arrived at the inescapable conclusion that usb is the future period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Of course, USB is not only the future but it's the only thing that is available. You ain't gonna find any newly manufactured from any company, anywhere, not no way, not no how. And I have a rig that is only one year old but the sound card is an old Audigy
Gamer from way back when they still had gameports on them. That's how I got my gameport.

You're correct, those cheapo gameport to USB converters don't work. I tried one from Radio Shack but it wouldn't hold my calibration. Tried another brand about a year ago and the same thing.

I don't know if I can do that conversion because it may be hard to locate an old Logitech joy. It may be impossible!!

Stiletto-
01-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes, alot of soundcards still have gameports on them, simply because it's also the MIDI port which is still used somewhat today. This is your best bet for continuing the use of your old hardware. My newer Soundblaster X-Fi has one and my older Audigy collecting dust had one too.

Sokol__1
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know if I can do that conversion because it may be hard to locate an old Logitech joy. It may be impossible!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To convert a gameport CH Pedal to USB like Snomhf did, you dont need especifically a Logitech stick, any USB stick with 3 or more axis is fine.

Sokol1

M_Gunz
01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Consider that most USB controllers still use the same basic 8-bit analog to digital converters that the gameport does.

It's a good input to hack into for home projects though, no USB converter needed. The 10-bit BU-thingy is not so cheap.

Skoshi Tiger
01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deskpilot:
I bought a gameprot ch fighterstick and pro pedals on Ebay a few months ago. I thought a simple gameport to usb converter would work, but it doesn't. Neither have the official ch gameport drivers you can download from their website. You can buy a simple plug in usb converter for the pedals but the brakes won't work with that. I bought one of the usb converter circuit boards Leo Bodner produces, the BUO 836 it's called and converted the pedals using that, to usb (and I have ZERO electronics/soldering experience). I'm pleased with my conversion of the pedals, but converting the stick with Leo's board is a way more complex endeavour and I've put that on hold until Someone provides me with a "Noddy does a stick conversion" guide. I've read extensively regarding gameport/usb gear and have arrived at the inescapable conclusion that usb is the future period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I converted my Thrustmaster Elite pedals to usb using the Bodnar controller. and it wasn't 'that' hard.

The only problem I came across was that I couldn't use the thrustmaster cable as it didn't have enough wires in it.

When the BU0836 looks at the analogue pot it requires three wires, +'ve, -'ve (ground) and a reference. (the negative terminal is normally the centre one or posibly on the base depending on your pot) The pot in your pedals should have three terminals, in my case one of those post was not connected.

You should be able to go to a electronics shop like Tandys and get one of the three pin plastic connectors that fits to one of the analogue points the bodnar unit.

From memory you hook up the negitive wire to the center pin and each of the other wires to the two pins on either side of the negative.

It doesn't really matter which way you hook up the last two wires, as when you set up the controller in IL2 you press down on the pedal to tell it to use the controller. (If the action is oposite to what you want you just go back to the setup and press the oposite pedal!)

From what I understand, the CH pedals uses a pot for the rudder action and one for each of the toe brakes. (Please CH experts, correct me if I'm wrong!!!)

The Bodnar unit has 8 annalogue inputs so that leaves you one for each axis trim and 2 your your home brew throttle or a dual tube shooter controller.

I'm not sure if you can assign brake to a slider in IL2, though I seam to remember some thread about differential braking???

Hope this makes sense if some way! All it really takes is the confidence to pull apart a perfectly good working controller and possibly stuff it up!

tagTaken2
01-20-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm using an old MSFFB1 gameport, but also with USB controllers. I had to buy a soundcard, I've noticed that now they're appearing without the MIDI port, which is a bit of a concern, it took me three stops to find an old one. Works like a charm, though, FFB is fine.
There's really only two games left that I would use the MSFFB1 in preference to the MSFFB2 I have, Mig Alley, and WoV.

SkyPiggies
01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
The MIDI port is still in widespread use by musicians, I believe. Or has firewire taken over?

How did the music world react to the decision by Microsoft to drop support for the MIDI port?