PDA

View Full Version : development=new planes only

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 10:38 PM
This post is not intended to be a complain, but just a personal consideration. I really can't understand why when it comes down to what people around here refer to as "development" the only thing people seem to be interested in are new planes... ppl want new planes, all the time, and of course, oleg is giving them what they want... this puzzles me... if it were up to me no more than 20 planes would have made it into the game... but jesus, can't you just see what a great room for improvement this game still has? what about new visual effects? smoke trails suck, and PLEASE don't say they don't cause they do, that puff-puff coming out of your engine is simply hilariuos when you take a closer look... what about reflections, improved weather system, single bullet damage visuals (we have this in stupid fps, you hit a wall with a bullet and you see a hole, it's all about applying a small texture, and we cant have it here?) i could go on for hours with a list of features i'd like to see implemented... but nobody seems to be insterested in actually making the sim better, they just want more planes, somebody the last day said he'd love to see chinese planes... ridicolous... improve roads and railroads for godsake, put some power lines, throw in some nice buildings (huh? well im sure you know what i mean)... it looks like quantity is to be preferred over quality... anyway, enough of this... anybody feels the same? thanks for reading so far have a nice day!

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 10:38 PM
This post is not intended to be a complain, but just a personal consideration. I really can't understand why when it comes down to what people around here refer to as "development" the only thing people seem to be interested in are new planes... ppl want new planes, all the time, and of course, oleg is giving them what they want... this puzzles me... if it were up to me no more than 20 planes would have made it into the game... but jesus, can't you just see what a great room for improvement this game still has? what about new visual effects? smoke trails suck, and PLEASE don't say they don't cause they do, that puff-puff coming out of your engine is simply hilariuos when you take a closer look... what about reflections, improved weather system, single bullet damage visuals (we have this in stupid fps, you hit a wall with a bullet and you see a hole, it's all about applying a small texture, and we cant have it here?) i could go on for hours with a list of features i'd like to see implemented... but nobody seems to be insterested in actually making the sim better, they just want more planes, somebody the last day said he'd love to see chinese planes... ridicolous... improve roads and railroads for godsake, put some power lines, throw in some nice buildings (huh? well im sure you know what i mean)... it looks like quantity is to be preferred over quality... anyway, enough of this... anybody feels the same? thanks for reading so far have a nice day!

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Actually, me thinks we have both in FB: quantity AND quality.
Dont believe me? Then go and check out CFS 3, CFS 2 or Janes Attack Squadron.

And theres nothing wrong in wanting new birds, along with some more tuning on the "old" ones. Keeps the sim fresh & sexy. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Rew_
10-21-2003, 10:47 PM
I think you, and all the rest of us are just going to have to wait for Battle of Britian for these changes.

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Rew_ wrote:
- I think you, and all the rest of us are just going
- to have to wait for Battle of Britian for these
- changes.
-
-

exactly what i was going to say

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Rew_ wrote:
- I think you, and all the rest of us are just going
- to have to wait for Battle of Britian for these
- changes.
-
-

Yeah and by then FB will be dead meat..:-(.

As they will not continue to support FB after january patch.

It´s a big shame to put this great game amongst them forgotten games as soon as that...

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 10:56 PM
Not everybody has a computer from M.I.T. or N.A.S.A.

What you are talking about raises system requirements and would slow the game down for those with mid level to low end systems.

As for more planes...one word...free.
Everybody wants something for free and they want what they what the most.
I had a good look at the Forgotten Battles box and read-me file and they don't say anything along the lines of, "regular free add-ons will be made on a constant basis providing everything that everybody wants. All you have to do is ask."

If the majority of people in these forums who are whinning for new planes or that one special plane they like the most were told, "O.K., but you have to pay.", I think you'd see the new planes requests drop considerably.

Just my 2 cents.

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 10:57 PM
garbazzz wrote:
- This post is not intended to be a complain, but just
- a personal consideration. I really can't understand
- why when it comes down to what people around here
- refer to as "development" the only thing people seem
- to be interested in are new planes... ppl want new
- planes, all the time, and of course, oleg is giving
- them what they want... this puzzles me... if it were
- up to me no more than 20 planes would have made it
- into the game... but jesus, can't you just see what
- a great room for improvement this game still has?
- what about new visual effects? smoke trails suck,
- and PLEASE don't say they don't cause they do, that
- puff-puff coming out of your engine is simply
- hilariuos when you take a closer look... what about
- reflections, improved weather system, single bullet
- damage visuals (we have this in stupid fps, you hit
- a wall with a bullet and you see a hole, it's all
- about applying a small texture, and we cant have it
- here?) i could go on for hours with a list of
- features i'd like to see implemented... but nobody
- seems to be insterested in actually making the sim
- better, they just want more planes, somebody the
- last day said he'd love to see chinese planes...
- ridicolous... improve roads and railroads for
- godsake, put some power lines, throw in some nice
- buildings (huh? well im sure you know what i
- mean)... it looks like quantity is to be preferred
- over quality... anyway, enough of this... anybody
- feels the same? thanks for reading so far have a
- nice day!

In FPS you see indeed a "stupid texture" for every bullet hit but this is on static objects and is just a bullet hole.
Have you actually looked closely to the damage model in this game?
It's pretty detailed and besides, all the planes are moving objects instead of a static texture so it's not so easy to just stick a bullet hole texture on it for every bullet hit, mainly because there are various types of bullets and various caliber bullets so it's not going to be so easy as you think it is.

We are already going to get a lot of new features in the terrain, sandbags, telephone poles with wires and much more, just as well as new buildings.

Speaking of buildings, the game already contains a lot of nice buildings.
Just fly over the center of Leningrad and see for yourself.

Compare that to other games on the market and you will see the quality of this game.

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:00 PM
triggerhappyfin wrote:
and by then FB will be dead meat..:-(.
-
- As they will not continue to support FB after
- january patch.
-
Sweeping assertion there! Just where did you hear that?

I think time will prove you wrong

<p align="center">
<A HREF="http://www.mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/il2_fb.htm" TARGET=_blank>
http://mudmovers.com/temp/snoopysig1.jpg</A>
<A HREF="http://mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm" TARGET=_blank>
Unofficial IL-2 Community FAQ</font></A>
Hunter82's Tech Pages (http://mudmovers.com/tech/tech_pages.htm)
Forgotten Battles Reality Check (http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_065a.html)
</font>

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:33 PM
i never said this game lacks quality, this game is a gem, period, im just blaming the childish attitude from some ppl of the il2 community... i know most things id put on my wish list might look hard to implement, but at least let's try to act like the sim enthusiasts we all actually are and not like kids who want new toys to play with (chinese planes for examples /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif )

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:48 PM
I agree completely with you garbazz. Planes are quite sufficent now (and skins do the rest..) Better to improve graphic eye-candy. Smoke at low altitude is one sign of what is still possible do develop this game but 1c and mr. Oleg would take care from CFS community and developers for the big improve that even external" coul do if only they leave the codes to make changes. It's a shame they don't want to stop up to day.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 12:28 AM
I agree in principle to the first posts argument, however, the reality is that adding new content like the maps and aircraft is relatively easy...while reworking the entire damage system (for per hit bullet holes) or the weather system (so we get realistic cloud formations - something I want quite a bit to see!) is a substantial change to the engine. Lots of development time would be invested into that and at this point, may not be accessible to many of the users.

Best leave that to a new engine built from the ground up for it.

Again, I agree in principle, but many tackle core elements of the games engine rather than content.

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/icefire/icefire_tempest.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 12:42 AM
I totally agree with cappadocian. we have not yet seen many fps with bulletholes on moving objects. one example is hitman, and these bullet holes looked ridiculous.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 01:09 AM
Try to keep some perspective as the BoB won't be here till 2005. The eye-candy is nice but for many of us (who are not whiners) flying new aircraft will bring just as much enjoyment.

There are new ppl coming in here every day. This forum is getting huge. The community won't lose enthusiasm as long as its civil and real whiners kept in check. Bar none we'll have the best WWII CFS until the next creation.

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 04:49 AM
Snoopy I heard FB will be done being supported in january, Im hopping oleg gives a couple modelers that he trusts access to keep adding maps ground items planes and cockpits to fb so it doesnt become another dead game like il2 sturmovik.

<center>http://www.freewebs.com/leadspitter/LS1.txt
Good dogfighters bring ammo home, Great ones don't. (c) Leadspitter</center>

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Well, as for IL2 Sturmovik, it was only logical that by the time FB was released IL-2 was "turned down".
Remember, FB was originally meant to be an add-on to IL-2, it's pretty much the same, but then again much bigger. I honour the fun we all had with IL-2, but a continued support for it would have been too much of extra work for Oleg's team compared to the "usefulness".

And when the time for FB comes to step aside, I hope it'll just be as proposed: the community keeping the game running till we get BoB or (who knows) maybe some other nice WW2 sim.
But I think the mark that FB set regarding quality, quantity and support from the creators won't be beaten that easily in the near future.
Besides, as far as I know there aren't any real "threats" to FB's flight sim throne out there.

All in all, let's just hope that we'll soon get the new free patch/add-on, and KEEP FLYING!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif HALLALI! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

- Future

Zayets
10-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Rework the FMB and IL2:FB will never die! Trust me.

Zayets out

http://www.arr.go.ro/iar81c.JPG

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 01:14 PM
triggerhappyfin wrote:
-
- Yeah and by then FB will be dead meat..:-(.
-
- As they will not continue to support FB after
- january patch.
-
- It´s a big shame to put this great game amongst them
- forgotten games as soon as that...
-

You must be kidding...

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 08:54 PM
GARB.

I see your point, and i agree with you quite a bit. new planes are always welcome to me. but what a difference it makes when new back grounds/ effects are added.

i can understand a "resource hog" point about being against it, but tecchnology is moving forward every day, not backwards. we wont have slower comps. WE WILL HAVE MUCH FASTER/POWERFUL COMPUTERS. the fact of adding new items other than aircraft, wont slow us down that much,(when compared to technology of the next 5 years)

good god look at EUROPEAN AIR WAR

back in its day on my 350 mh comp, i could JUST barely manage "full on graphics" at 600x400 rez. now look at it, tons o hi-rez terrain, gunpacks, animations, speechpacks, buildings, flames..and with a small program, I can be in the air with SEVERAL HUNDRED aircraft at once, at 1200x1600 rez. never dropping below 25 frames a sec. 5 yrs has been a good thing.

graphics /add-ons might slow us down a tiny bit, but not ultimately. thats what todays latest and greatest vid cards are for.

"fresh and new" changes shouldnt apply just only to ac.

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 02:52 AM
Have some of you guys lost your minds?? More eye candy??
I can barely run good frames as it is with my XP-2100 processor, and some guys would dream to have a processor as fast as mine. Whht some of you guys are asking for would just crawl on my computer. I'd rather have more planes, but unlike many, I'd prefer to get AI planes already in the game flyable before we get new ones. Still a lot of planes in this game unflyable. Pe-2 should have been flyable long ago. Same for many others. Why do people want Jap planes in here??

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755