PDA

View Full Version : Careers....

nohunt1
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I've tried starting a career, but find when I come back for a shootin' session, that the name under the career option is always "John Doe" (I think). Shouldn't my name come up since I gave myself a "career" name when I started..??
Also...does every mission/patrol I do without going into the career mode count towards the career renown (or lack thereof... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif). And how do you pick a starting date..??
Thanks for any info on this....

Dron22
05-14-2010, 12:19 PM
About starting date you can choose when you click "American Career" in Main Menu and then in the screen where you choose your name and main base, there is an option if you want to start in 1941, 1942, 1943 or 1944. This is how it is in stock version 1.5 at least. I don't normally play single missions but I don't think they give you reknown for your career, I personally have 2 running careers now under 2 different names, one for Pearl Harbor base and the other with Asiatic fleet.

WernherVonTrapp
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
In the Stock version of the game, you can select some starter reknown from a drop-down menu after you select your American career. I think it goes up to 5000 in the drop-down menu.

Yooperbacker
05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
When you play career mode you also have to go to your options while you are in the office and setup your realism settings.
You do this by going over to the radio on the bookshelf on the left. Run your mouse along there and you will see the word 'Options' show up.

nohunt1
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info...Do I have to sign into the career every time I want that session to be part of my career history..?? I'm not sure how the game keeps track of your identity and "exploits". I have an identity crisis, you might say.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

nohunt1
05-29-2010, 11:49 PM
I still can't get this straight...
When I choose the career option, it always comes up as John Doe...
I pick the date, sub, etc, and off it sends me. I do my patrol/mission and save the game.
When I come back, I load the saved game, but get no points from previous missions/patrols.
I even pulled the manual out of the trash can, and it says that when you quit playing, to hit ESC and select the option "SAVE CAREER"...I don't get that option. All I can do is save the game...
Sooo...for the umpteenth time....How do you play a career..??

Magic452
05-30-2010, 12:33 AM
When you start a career and run your patrol and return to base there are two auto saves, one entering base and the second leaving the base. It's these saves that tie different patrols to a given career. To continue a career just load up the auto save. Don't go to the start a career option.

You don't get any credit until you end patrol and dock.
When you start a new patrol in the office that should have updated your renown.

Magic

PS. put the manual under the bad table leg.

nohunt1
05-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks Magic...I'll try that... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
I'll do that with the manual...That way I don't have to looking in the trash for it.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Magic452
05-30-2010, 11:23 PM
What I do is when I dock and end a patrol I'll set up the boat and crew and than leave and try to get near my next mission area before I save and quit. That way I always have a good save to go back to if necessary.

Magic

nohunt1
05-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Good point, Magic... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

realoldephart
05-31-2010, 11:48 AM
When you start a career you can click on and change the John Doe name to whatever you want and then go through all the other choices and your selections and start the career. "BEFORE", you put to sea, while in the office, click on radio and change or set gameplay options. When this has all been done and you have your orders "put out to sea" even if you don't intend to play now, or not say you don't have the time now. Put out to sea. This actually starts the patrol and all you have previously done has been saved. As soon as I clear port I do a save. Some will say unnecessary because SAVE GAME ON LEAVING PORT has done it already. Maybe, but I like back-up.

I always keep "at least" 5 saves going and not too far apart in case something goes wrong with a save (a glitch), I don't have to go back too far to get started again. Since I'm both lazy and not a good or fast typist. I keep the names simple, Save, Save1, Save2, Save3, and Save4. Also when you go to the save game menu you can cheat on the typing. Example, say my last save was Save 1, Save 2 would be next in line so I "click on Save 2, it highlights and also magically appears in the save box (no typing) I click save and another small window opens and asks do you want to overwrite this file, I click yes, because the file it's asking about is actually several saves old by this time. All with "no typing".

Occasionally, I will call a save by another name for specific reasons. Case in point present patrol. Left Pearl May 21, if I went on patrol in normal manner I would miss "Battle of Midway". No way! I went to Midway and loitered about till it happened then I went on patrol. Completed patrol and refitted at the base on the NW side of Australia, now patrolling about, and on way to Battle of Savo Island. From location to Savo two ways to go, one on eastern side of Solomons, one on western side going down through the slot. I have the luxury of having plenty of time so I went down the eastern side hoping to catch some merchant traffic there. Early in the trip I made a save called the slot. If the trip down the eastern side didn't produce I could go back to this save and no time lost and no fuel burned. As it turned out, zip, nada, nothing, and at present going down the other side. Hope this helps some.
John