PDA

View Full Version : Sonar man could use a litte more AI

Xnomad
04-07-2005, 07:30 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif I'm ashamed I'm going to have to whine. I want to play captain and not sonar man so it would be helpful if the sonar man could have an option where he gives you a running commentary about what the destroyer is doing, e.g. his bearing, if he is starting his attack run etc.

I find it hard not to have to man the hydrophones myself in an attack as it's impossible to judge the DD's postion relying on the sonar man. I thought 1.2 would fix it, ok the hydrophone operator now will remain on the nearest target but the selfish bstrd doesn't share the information with me!

I'm having to cheat by using external views as the sonar man moves the hydrophone about so much that when I jump back to the hydrophone to man it myself (because he isn't doing his job) I find he has moved it 180 degrees from where the DD is and it would take to long to circle it back to the right position so I end up cheating with the external view.

I am now in my next sortie and have removed the external view option, I have condemned myself and my crew to a watery grave due to the Sonar mans lack of I in AI.

Xnomad
04-07-2005, 07:30 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif I'm ashamed I'm going to have to whine. I want to play captain and not sonar man so it would be helpful if the sonar man could have an option where he gives you a running commentary about what the destroyer is doing, e.g. his bearing, if he is starting his attack run etc.

I find it hard not to have to man the hydrophones myself in an attack as it's impossible to judge the DD's postion relying on the sonar man. I thought 1.2 would fix it, ok the hydrophone operator now will remain on the nearest target but the selfish bstrd doesn't share the information with me!

I'm having to cheat by using external views as the sonar man moves the hydrophone about so much that when I jump back to the hydrophone to man it myself (because he isn't doing his job) I find he has moved it 180 degrees from where the DD is and it would take to long to circle it back to the right position so I end up cheating with the external view.

I am now in my next sortie and have removed the external view option, I have condemned myself and my crew to a watery grave due to the Sonar mans lack of I in AI.

Jim0322
04-07-2005, 07:39 AM
I got tired of the lack of info from the sonar man. I should not have to do everything myself. After 9 missions I switched on the map auto update. The map shows contacts that you can see from from the deck or periscope or hear on sonar.

Jim

NaturalBornGoth
04-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah... i don't like it either. On full realism the sonar guy has no other purpose than keeping the headphones warm for me. I doubt that it's realistic that way. Just because contacts aren't shown on the map anymore it doesn't mean that the Sonar freak has to shut up as well! I want him to report audible contacts immediatly. I want to mark the target's course on the map while staying on the map and listening to his updates, and not by switching back and forth between those stations. There must be a purpose for the crew, besides acting as diving ballast, even or especially on full realism, or am i mistaken?

I think i'm gonna get the map updates back either until the sonar guy is relieved of his duties and replaced by someone who knows how to do the job.

Dakotakid44
04-07-2005, 08:16 AM
how do you auto update the radars?

marcelkralik
04-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah the sonarman is a very selfish SOB. I would like to know if the contact is doing attack runs, if it runs away, if its turning and so on...and also his AI needs to be tweaked - i understand that when at low experience he can't hear everything but in most cases it looks like he's listening to some music instead of hydrophone!

stereophobia2
04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I would have thought it was obvious by now, he's a British spy on a mission to try and save as much tonnage as he can!

CCIP
04-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Yea, that's why I may actually end up going back to auto-map. He's just too passive. The auto-map at least gives you the general picture of the sound contacts that you need, when you need them...

WereSnowleopard
04-07-2005, 03:35 PM
It start work as I noticed when I promoted/award him sometime and run slower and bit deep.

jcurrens
04-07-2005, 06:28 PM
the sonar man is alright in my opinion, i spend most of my time up on the surface and so therefore the radar man has a much more greater benefit. If in a crisis sitaution with enemies, I order crash dive. Once I'm at the sea bottom, I purposely switch to the sonar man's position for my own benefit. The sonar man just dont give me enough updates to put faith in him. I need a update every second when the DD's are in attack runs, not every 15 mins!!