PDA

View Full Version : A dilemma

archer49d
03-14-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm more a contructive critiscism person myself, rather than bashing... So here's a dilemma that has to do with no ships in ports...

We sail "with" a merchant from Mid-Atlantic to Portsmouth, and when we get there and the merchant reaches the breakwater at the harbor entrance does he just diappear?

archer49d
03-14-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm more a contructive critiscism person myself, rather than bashing... So here's a dilemma that has to do with no ships in ports...

We sail "with" a merchant from Mid-Atlantic to Portsmouth, and when we get there and the merchant reaches the breakwater at the harbor entrance does he just diappear?

Darnitz
03-14-2005, 09:44 PM
he transforms into Gundan 9 and walks ashore...

Bulwark_
03-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Hmmm, good question. I think it would be nice if it didn't just disappear, it's kind of like one of those little extras that makes the game more realistic. Historical accuracy is all great and everything, but small details fill in the gaps.

hauitsme
03-14-2005, 09:51 PM
It could just get to the end of its waypoint, spin a 180, and reverse course. At least there would be no 'ghost' ships.

Bulwark_
03-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Not that I'm going to stick around to watch it unload/load cargo... It should at least go along side for a while.

archer49d
03-14-2005, 09:53 PM
I just thought of this one...

If we're supposedly able to come into contact with the Bismarck, if we know where to go and when, will is be sailing out of port? Will it rendevous in the Fjords to take on oil? Or will it just randomly spaws somewhere in the North Atlantic?

Also, if a Merchant were to just spin a 180, wouldn't that pretty much kill the chances of there being harbor traffic?

HeibgesU999
03-14-2005, 09:55 PM
As a Uboat Captain you don't have even close to the security clearance to know about the location of the Bismark or its present or future operations.

hauitsme
03-14-2005, 09:56 PM
At least, if they do spawn, have them 'rise' from the bottom. Way better than them just 'appearing' outa thin air.

Bulwark_
03-14-2005, 09:56 PM
I think it would just spawn. Not that anyone would really know because you wouldn't know where it is until it's spotted. No way to really know for sure.

archer49d
03-15-2005, 06:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
As a Uboat Captain you don't have even close to the security clearance to know about the location of the Bismark or its present or future operations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But didn't the Devs say that it would follow a path similar to what it had when it actually went to see, hence in hindsight as U-Boat captain we have more knowledge of where the Bismark was/is.

Dominicrigg
03-15-2005, 07:36 AM
It should have been easy to do, and if its not right i hope is easy to sort out.

The ship needs to appear in the start port at dock, then sit there for 8 hours or more (simulate a bit of loading time) then set sail for the finish port. Sit there for 8 hours or so, then vanish.

That works for me, that way you get port traffic, and docked ships you can kill. Just needs a pause command at the start and end of the voyage.

**hopes thats in there**

Of course the perfect version would be for them to sail back and forth from harbour to harbour with pauses but that would melt our computers with all the 1000's of ships about, maybe in 2010 we will have that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
03-15-2005, 07:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Of course the perfect version would be for them to sail back and forth from harbour to harbour with pauses but that would melt our computers with all the 1000's of ships about, maybe in 2010 we will have that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't need to be fully rendered until they get within sensor (or camera) range. They can just be a bit of info - ship type, position, course, convoy designation, etc. They only need full 3D rendering at the point they become visible. You can have thousands of such ships wandering the map with very little impact on the computer. We don't need to wait until 2020.