PDA

View Full Version : OH BABY! Could a flyable B17 be next!!!

Col_Tibbetts
10-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Hey guys think of it this way. The gun turrets are now modelled! The B25 gun positions are very similar to the B17 gun positions so I would think that just a little tweaking and WOO HOO! That pesky ball turret would be a challenge however.

The nose of the B25 is also similar to the B17! Look at the screenies of the B25 nose and tell me we aren't close to a flyable B17.

The only hard work left would be to model the cockpit, nav position and the bomb bay/radio room. Honestly all we really need is the cockpit. You could do without the nav desk and the radio room. They did model the nav desk in the TB3 though...

A flyable B17! I can taste it!

Col. Tibbetts

Col_Tibbetts
10-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Hey guys think of it this way. The gun turrets are now modelled! The B25 gun positions are very similar to the B17 gun positions so I would think that just a little tweaking and WOO HOO! That pesky ball turret would be a challenge however.

The nose of the B25 is also similar to the B17! Look at the screenies of the B25 nose and tell me we aren't close to a flyable B17.

The only hard work left would be to model the cockpit, nav position and the bomb bay/radio room. Honestly all we really need is the cockpit. You could do without the nav desk and the radio room. They did model the nav desk in the TB3 though...

A flyable B17! I can taste it!

Col. Tibbetts

Jippo01
10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Oleg doesn't allow any half measures - it has to be done properly to get in. Almost there isn't quite enough.

But in that way B-17 could be a lot closer that many parts of the U.S. equipment are shared between these planes and could be easily modified to fit a B-17.

-jippo

Col_Tibbetts
10-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the reply Jippo. You are definately qualified to respond. I'm just saying that the gun turrets are basically done. With the execption of the ball the gun positions of the B17 and B25 are virtually the same. Someone once said the the challenge of the B17 was modelling all the gun positions so it seems that hurdle has been jumped.

I agree that Olegs philosophy of no half measures is a good thing. Thats what makes this sim the best. But do we really need a radio room? They way this sim is designed you couldn't use it anyway.

Does anyone know if Oleg and team are thinking towards a flyable B17 or are they content with stopping at the B25?

Col. Tibbetts

Wseivelod
10-22-2004, 09:42 AM
I sincerely think that they should pass up doing the turrets right now, and instead do the D version, and just model the tubs. Less gun positions, and if it has something in common with any other planes, it would be the Catalina because of the side blisters, and the He111 because of the under tub and top position.

Then, in time, I think they could add on of the B-17D cockpit for the later versions, and then model the turrets.

Don't think that just because it isn't an E,F, or G, that it won't be fun to fly, or have plenty of scenerios.

Early B-17Ds were used in a multitude of roles. As Fortress MkIs, 27 of them were sent to Britain to bomb the Western Countries in 1941. In the Philipines, B-17Ds were used to destroy shipping and disrupt enemy andvances. It would be a great scenerio, where one could pair the B-17Ds up with P-40Es.

Obi_Kwiet
10-22-2004, 10:03 AM
No.

Flatlander1961
10-22-2004, 11:14 AM
We would need a new map of Europe from England to well past germany so we could have some good Bomber campaigns.

Flatlander1961
10-22-2004, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wseivelod:
I sincerely think that they should pass up doing the turrets right now, and instead do the D version, and just model the tubs. Less gun positions, and if it has something in common with any other planes, it would be the Catalina because of the side blisters, and the He111 because of the under tub and top position.

Then, in time, I think they could add on of the B-17D cockpit for the later versions, and then model the turrets.

Don't think that just because it isn't an E,F, or G, that it won't be fun to fly, or have plenty of scenerios.

Early B-17Ds were used in a multitude of roles. As Fortress MkIs, 27 of them were sent to Britain to bomb the Western Countries in 1941. In the Philipines, B-17Ds were used to destroy shipping and disrupt enemy andvances. It would be a great scenerio, where one could pair the B-17Ds up with P-40Es. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why make a new 17 the G model already exists. And like said above most of the technical work for the gun positions is finished its just a matter of altering the current gun positions.
Stop being so nitpicky about being perfectly
modelled if your not gonna show arms and legs etc (ghost pilot issue). If your gonna try and simulate for authenticity show someone in first person view as well.

So lets get that flyable 17 going so I can fly from England all the way to Berlin (map with ENGLAND needed)

Snootles
10-22-2004, 03:45 PM
No, definitely no "default" cockpits or positions. But I know different bomber types sometimes used common turret models (the top turrets of the A-20 and B-25 in-game seem that way), so sharing turret models would cut down on that sort of gruntwork.

Wseivelod
10-23-2004, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flatlander1961:

Why make a new 17 the G model already exists. And like said above most of the technical work for the gun positions is finished its just a matter of altering the current gun positions.
Stop being so nitpicky about being perfectly
modelled if your not gonna show arms and legs etc (ghost pilot issue). If your gonna try and simulate for authenticity show someone in first person view as well.

So lets get that flyable 17 going so I can fly from England all the way to Berlin (map with ENGLAND needed) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sayingw e should make a new B-17G, I just meant we should do a D first, then do the interiors for the G. It was the Interiors I was referring to.

Flatlander1961
10-23-2004, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wseivelod:

not sayingw e should make a new B-17G, I just meant we should do a D first, then do the interiors for the G. It was the Interiors I was referring to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats so special about a D model we already have a G model in game why make more work. If Iam not mistaken the "G" model was the most produced and since its already in game why change doesnt make sense. And why is everyone so worried about having somany different plane models We need more maps not planes

gombal40
10-23-2004, 01:55 PM
maddox will get there.. but it so, so much work

(see the link that the one of the team of the flyable ju 88 made, isnt it Jippo??. respect,)

but slowly my brothers... it will get there gauge for gauge, little thingemebob there.. yes that will go down fine....
But first lets await the ju 88 and the pe bird.

Pf is a bomb. But when those planes hit u have a carpet... can't wait

WUAF_Badsight
10-23-2004, 02:29 PM
its already been said from PF/Maddox games staff that the B17 could become flyable

Bearcat99
10-23-2004, 04:44 PM
That will be great..... I know a lot of guys who are just waiting for the B-17 to become lyable. They still fly in CFS because they cant do bombers.

Fritzofn
10-23-2004, 04:51 PM
i hope that the turrets will turn 360 degrees, since they don't, not on B25. OR the B17

i know that some B25 models had the option of locking the turret in forward firing pos. when straffin ship's and such.

a 360 degree turret is essential. AND that it can turn just as fast in the game as in real life, since these turret's are SO **** SLOW, i mean, even a KI61 could run circles around a B25 before the gunner even got close to aiming on it.....

Philipscdrw
10-23-2004, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flatlander1961:
Whats so special about a D model we already have a G model in game why make more work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have PF... I have PF... Living in the UK rules!!!

And FYI the B-17D,E,F, and G are all in the game now. The B-17D has a bug with the elevators, which hinge on the z-axis not the x-axis for some reason, but this will be fixed in the ethereal patch that may appear soon.