PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to give me a Stuvi lesson?

GoToAway
02-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I read the readme. I understand how it's supposed to work, but I'm really not having much luck with it. Actually, I do better by just completely ignoring it. How are you supposed to know your TAS in a dive? That seems to be my biggest problem.

Is my understanding correct that you aim with it like you aim with the CCIP pipper on modern US aircraft (I.E., the actual point of impact will be the reticle at the bottom of the line)?

How did the Stuvi actually work? Did it actually adjust the displayed reticle based on input parameters?

GoToAway
02-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I read the readme. I understand how it's supposed to work, but I'm really not having much luck with it. Actually, I do better by just completely ignoring it. How are you supposed to know your TAS in a dive? That seems to be my biggest problem.

Is my understanding correct that you aim with it like you aim with the CCIP pipper on modern US aircraft (I.E., the actual point of impact will be the reticle at the bottom of the line)?

How did the Stuvi actually work? Did it actually adjust the displayed reticle based on input parameters?

StG2_Schlachter
02-10-2006, 09:15 AM
First set the desired altitude for the "pickle".

Set your cruising TAS (check conversion tables or select a value 20 to 30 % higher then IAS).

Cut throttle and deploy speed brakes.

Keep target in reticle and keep adjusting the TAS speed for the bombsight (see above for estimating method).

When the aircraft is nearing the preset altitude a warning will sound to signal the pilot to pull up slightly to place the "Krawatte" (the CCIP marker if you want) on target and drop the bombs manually.

Needs a little practising but is really acurate.

It's recommended (but not necessary) to keep the angle of dive constant.

GoToAway
02-10-2006, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StG2_Schlachter:
First set the desired altitude for the "pickle". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh. That might explain why I'm having so much trouble... I thought you input the altitude that you STARTED your run at. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Thanks.

Another question...
How should one start a run in an 88? Normally when I dive bomb, I overfly the target and roll over to dive on it. Is this the prefered method with the 88, or should I just nose down and dive at a more shallow angle? The AI doesn't seem to roll it (at least it didn't when it began its attack run on the last mission I flew.)

StG2_Schlachter
02-10-2006, 09:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by StG2_Schlachter:
First set the desired altitude for the "pickle". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh. That might explain why I'm having so much trouble... I thought you input the altitude that you STARTED your run at. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Thanks.

Another question...
How should one start a run in an 88? Normally when I dive bomb, I overfly the target and roll over to dive on it. Is this the prefered method with the 88, or should I just nose down and dive at a more shallow angle? The AI doesn't seem to roll it (at least it didn't when it began its attack run on the last mission I flew.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Historically correct i'd say would be to cut throttle, speed brakes down, nose down. Remember, there were 3 to 4 crew in the cockpit. The "rolling over" into a dive was more common with the Stuka, but the Ju88 is a little bit larger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Look at the left side of the glass housing. You have a scale there for different dive angles. Line one of those lines up with the horizon to do a historical correct dive.

Or just make a level bombing run.

That's so great about this plane.

p-11.cAce
02-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah another Stuvi addict http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Just a few quick points: 1. The "roll-over" dive approach is fun but in RL the majority of Stuka 7 -88 attacks were initiated with a "push-over" entry. 2. If your dive angle is 80 deg or higher there is no need to dial in your speed - the angular difference is minimal unless you have your release point set very high (1500+meters or more) which is not likely. 3. Be sure you are stabalized (not skating all over the place trying to place your target in the reticle) and right at or less than 90 deg when you hit the release - if you pickle even a moment after the pullout starts or if you have some angular momentum from manuvering you will toss the bomb wide of the target and if you are at all negative in your dive the bomb will not release properly - sometimes they drift into you and blow up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif 4. An accurate attack starts well before you begin the dive - set your release altitude and crank in your velocity (if needed) on the way to the target - when on the approach sight through the floor window and enter a gentle climb, slightly rocking from side to side to scan what is beneath and ahead of you - the steeper the climb angle the further ahead you can see. Always attack lined up with the long axis of a target or along its axis of movement (i.e. get lined up with a column of tanks - don't attack from the side). Try to have your target sitting motionless under the reticle for a count of "one-two" right as you reach release altitude.
Keep the set-up stable and steady and you will rarely miss! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

GoToAway
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Doing a bit better now. I'm going to need to practice a bit to get things set up right... The 88 is a bit bulkier than anything I generally drop bombs with.

JG53Frankyboy
02-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Late war (from 1943 onwards) without "Dive Automation"
Start altitude 3500m or more.
1. Close radiator
2. Choose 100% propeller pitch
3. Set bombsight speed to 650km/h (can also adjust during dive)
4. Set bombsight altitude to 2000m to avoid flak
5. Choose idle power (0%)
6. Trim plane into approximately 30 degree dive
7. Take aim with ring in top part of the sight. Also take note of the dive
bombing marker ("Krawatte") below the ring on the vertical line
8. Hold target in the ring until you here the drop altitude warning buzzer
9. Pull up so that the dive bombing marker becomes superimposed on the
target and hold steady for a moment.
10. Press bomb release
11. Apply power slowly to avoid overspeeding the engines & continue dive in shallow angle towards own lines.
12. Escape by diving to less than 100m altitude
13. Trim for level flight
14. Open radiator and adjust pitch for cruising

JG53Frankyboy
02-10-2006, 11:13 AM
and dont forgett, dont worry the dive - the max dive speed in game is 900km/h IAS !!

you can shake a lot of fighters with that speed , espacially VVS ones !