PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Tanks with Rockets

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Greetings all.

Ive tried running the search for this topic, but after a while it just times out and gives up, so be nice...

How in heavens name do you guys manage to hit tanks with rockets? I set a QMB sortie between myself in an IL2 and some simple armor targets, and I've reduced my convergence to 150, I close in above them, drop speed to about 300, but even when the explosion flashes over them, they just keep moving.

What does it take to hit the bullseye? Is the tank's armor directional?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards.

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Greetings all.

Ive tried running the search for this topic, but after a while it just times out and gives up, so be nice...

How in heavens name do you guys manage to hit tanks with rockets? I set a QMB sortie between myself in an IL2 and some simple armor targets, and I've reduced my convergence to 150, I close in above them, drop speed to about 300, but even when the explosion flashes over them, they just keep moving.

What does it take to hit the bullseye? Is the tank's armor directional?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards.

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Are you sure, you're using the armour-piercing version? Then it should simply be a question of getting in close (150 metres if that's your convergence) and let loose.

Oh, and hit the tanks in vulnerable spots like from behind.

cheers/slush

http://dk.groups.yahoo.com/group/aktivitetsdage/files/Eurotrolls.gif

You can't handle the truth!
Col. Jessep

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 08:59 AM
some rockets are designed for anti-tank and some are not. make sure you're not using the rockets that explode like flak. the rockets on the p47 are nice tank killers and i believe theres an anti-tank rocket loadout for the later model il-2's. a well placed rocket hit can take out a tank in one pass.

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Tanks armour is directional, object viewer will tell you how much for each tank & where it is.

Generally, attack from above & behind.

RS-82, RS-132 are not anti-armour, so you need direct hits on weak spots if you want them to work.
M-13 is useless aginst tanks, don't bother.
BRS-82 and BRS-132 are the business, be sure!

The large explosion is misleading - just because the explosion overlaps the tank doesn't mean you hit it. Look at where the craters are.

Rockets launch from underneath your plane, put the crosshairs on the top of the target, then lead for the direction of it's motion.

Watch where the rockets land in slow motion on replay for extra feedback. You may be making a consistent error.

---

Oh, and although it's hard, the 23mm cannons on the Il2 can destroy a lot of different types of tanks. You just need to dive almost vertically on the target so your shells hit the roof somewhere around 70-90 degrees. And have enough time to pull up!

Message Edited on 08/27/0308:11AM by Bnej_03

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 09:36 AM
You can kill almost any tank by flying apx. 1 000 mts above, cut throttle, full flaps and dive right down on them.
Then unload cannons right on the canopy and they'll explode.

Takes some practice but works alright.

http://members.chello.se/ven/milton.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Choose an IL2 - load with the rockets with a B in front eg. BRS132 they are armour piercing. Rocket selections are different on the different IL2 models.

I attack low typicaly starting, attack run from 200-250m altitude so have to fire at a decent distance - otherwise high risk of hitting ground or the explosion debris in air. therefore I set convergence to 500m.

Throttle either 80% or full.
Combat flaps on

You must zoom in the screen to gunsight view at this distance or you hit nothing
You need a computer/graphics setup that is smooth - if it's freezy or jumpy you have little chance.

Final target aiming is done gently with the rudder - not banking.

I'm not fussy where I hit them, if it's centre on it will at minimum ruin their day

http://perso.club-internet.fr/ptthome/vulogo3.JPG