PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Upgrades

Kaleun1961
02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Just picked up some hardware upgrades for my aging gaming system [Athlon 64 3200+.] My current sytstem RAM is 2GB, my video card an Nvidia GeForce 6600GT w/128MB. I've acquired another GB of RAM and an Nvidia 9600GT w/512MB. That should bump up my SH3 performance and make my system capable of doing a decent job of running SH4. Believe it or not, I have one of those limited editions of SH4 but have not yet even installed it! Those of you who know me may recall that I have been ailing with a back injury for quite some time. Lately, after undergoing spinal decompression, my back has been feeling better and I am feeling well enough to get back to gaming.

I hope to install the upgrades this week and also change my OS from XP Media Center to XP Pro/SP3. I am going to install the new hardware, reformat my SATA drives, in RAID 0, and install the new OS. Anybody here using the 9600GT card; what do you think of it?

I was able to let this purchase slip by the Mrs. by telling her that these upgrades will keep my system running for another couple of years, with no "need" for me to buy a new computer. My eldest daughter got engaged over the Christmas holiday, so I'm looking at funding a wedding; saving every penny I can between now and then. I'm not into those first person shooter type games, so the Silent Hunter games are the only ones that will push my system.

Kaleun1961
02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Just picked up some hardware upgrades for my aging gaming system [Athlon 64 3200+.] My current sytstem RAM is 2GB, my video card an Nvidia GeForce 6600GT w/128MB. I've acquired another GB of RAM and an Nvidia 9600GT w/512MB. That should bump up my SH3 performance and make my system capable of doing a decent job of running SH4. Believe it or not, I have one of those limited editions of SH4 but have not yet even installed it! Those of you who know me may recall that I have been ailing with a back injury for quite some time. Lately, after undergoing spinal decompression, my back has been feeling better and I am feeling well enough to get back to gaming.

I hope to install the upgrades this week and also change my OS from XP Media Center to XP Pro/SP3. I am going to install the new hardware, reformat my SATA drives, in RAID 0, and install the new OS. Anybody here using the 9600GT card; what do you think of it?

I was able to let this purchase slip by the Mrs. by telling her that these upgrades will keep my system running for another couple of years, with no "need" for me to buy a new computer. My eldest daughter got engaged over the Christmas holiday, so I'm looking at funding a wedding; saving every penny I can between now and then. I'm not into those first person shooter type games, so the Silent Hunter games are the only ones that will push my system.

Foehammer-1
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Hmmmmm... My new machine has dual NVidia 980 GTX+, if that tells anyone anything, with SLI... Well, so far I have yet to find a challenge for this thing, since it runs Doom 3 and Fallout 3 on Ultra settings, and the video cards don't go above 45 degrees. So their on-board fans have yet to turn on.

And yes, it runs GWX-3 without any trouble. These aren't very expensive either. I would put them on my old machine, but the motherboard wouldnt support them

I've looked through peoples reviews of 9600GT, they like it. Although I haven't see anyone saying anything about GWX.

bunkerratt
02-08-2009, 07:07 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.......i think you'll like raid 0 as far as the graphics card ...i use red cards so ...but from what i've looked through the new set up should be able to digest sh4 sh3 with out a problem http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Messervy
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
You might want to check your power supply.

SATA, additional 2GB of ram and 9800 GT need much more juice to run.
Also check the GPU connectors. I haven't had an Nvidia for ages but I do know that the newer ATIs aren't compatible with older PSUs.

Also please remember that undepowered computer, although it might run, is a very unhealthy environment for components.

just my two cents. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mariuszj1939
02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I had previously similar computer with 2 GB + GeForce 6600 and played SH4 for some missions without any problems. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Realjambo
02-09-2009, 05:41 AM
K61, You'll certainly see the benefits with those upgrades! I remember fondly upgrading from a 6600GT (A great card).

I'll echo previous comments - Check your PSU is powerful enough, I had to upgrade mine when I moved up from the 6600GT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Kaleun1961
02-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Guys, thanks for the input. Yes, I have an adequate PSU. When I originally speced this system I went for "overkill" on the PSU. I installed an OCZ 520 watt unit, with peak output of 620 watts; it should be sufficient, but if I begin to experience weird behaviour, I'll know the cause. Something to consider is that PSU's can degrade over time; even a powerful PSU, given enough time and load over its life, can begin to fail and cause the PC to exhibit flaky behaviour. I'll let you all know once I have the upgrades installed. In addition to overhauling the system, I have to do a bit of room renovation, as my bedroom/office is seriously congested at the moment. I hope to have it all done by the end of this week. As well, I have a new CPU cooling fan ordered from the U.S. for my HP notebook, which is making grinding sounds: imminent failure anticipated. My friend's PC is also likely to need an OS reinstallation; I got a panic call from him Sunday night and told him to take it to a local shop, but knowing him, I think he'll be pressing me to do the work for him. It never rains, but it pours when it does!

Kaleun1961
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
Hmmmmm... My new machine has dual NVidia 980 GTX+, if that tells anyone anything, with SLI... Well, so far I have yet to find a challenge for this thing, since it runs Doom 3 and Fallout 3 on Ultra settings, and the video cards don't go above 45 degrees. So their on-board fans have yet to turn on.

And yes, it runs GWX-3 without any trouble. These aren't very expensive either. I would put them on my old machine, but the motherboard wouldnt support them

I've looked through peoples reviews of 9600GT, they like it. Although I haven't see anyone saying anything about GWX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish. My board is older and thus only capable of running one card. It should be sufficient for now, but next time I go PC shopping or building, I'll make sure it is SLI capable. I'm not likely to be in the market for some time; perhaps Windows 7 will be out by then, and have had a service pack or two released?