PDA

View Full Version : External reseve bug

PsychoSY
09-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Before i start IM AN NOT a newbie...........no really im not, but i cant get my external reserves to load. Calm sea, all available crew in the forward torpedo room, click and drag and nothing, nothing happens, NOTHING!!!!!!!.

Im in a dire situation i have 7 torpedoes left and only 4 available, tube three is permanently empty and im out of deck gun ammo.

I changed my plan and went to the english channel to hunt warships to make things more interesting. I have sunk 10 ships for a measilly 18k!!. I was going to wait on the liverpool trade route for a convoy to come past, but with only 3 forward firing torpedos i could only sink one and damage one other.

Has my game got a bug or has my crew suddenly become xenophobic or something. Either way are due lots of medals ive bagged 4 destroyers.

Gunnersman
09-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Are you on patrol or are you playing a single mission? In either case, are you still in silent running?

I ask you if you are playing a single mission because I acheived my objects when I played once and tried to reload the external reserves but they would not. I just figured it was because there was no need to.

Otherwise it is usually because you are silent running. At least it works that way if you are trying to reload the tubes.

Kaleun1961
09-28-2005, 06:32 PM
How to load externals:

1. Not in silent running.

2. Must be surfaced [duh.]

3. Enough crew assigned to compartment.

4. Drag the torpedo to a reserve slot inside the boat, not to a tube. They must go into the reserve and then you load them into the tubes from there.

5. I suggest that you disable auto reload if you are bringing down more than one at a time, otherwise your crew will bring down one, then load, then bring down another and then load it, and so forth. The idea is to get them into the boat first, then load them into the tubes.

6. Having torpedo rated officers and NCO's will speed this up, as well as making sure they are not too tired.

doug.d
09-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
How to load externals:
1. Not in silent running.
2. Must be surfaced [duh.]
3. Enough crew assigned to compartment.
4. Drag the torpedo to a reserve slot inside the boat, not to a tube. They must go into the reserve and then you load them into the tubes from there.

5. I suggest that you disable auto reload if you are bringing down more than one at a time, otherwise your crew will bring down one, then load, then bring down another and then load it, and so forth. The idea is to get them into the boat first, then load them into the tubes.
6. Having torpedo rated officers and NCO's will speed this up, as well as making sure they are not too tired.
What Kaleun1961 said..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
1 to 4 = mandatory
5 & 6 = optional

7 - The only other mandatory point is you can't load a bow external to the stern and vice versa, [also Duh].

lecek
09-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Next time it happens move your mouse over the torpedo. A tool tip will come up and tell you its status.

In the case of an IX, ignore the tool tip for the aft facing torpedos. It lies.

Kaleun1961
09-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Good addendum there, Doug, to my post. I forgot that last one. If I recall my Aces of the Deep days, so very long ago, it was possible to take that stern torpedo into the forward compartment. Anybody remember doing that in AotD?

The_Silent_O
09-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Good addendum there, Doug, to my post. I forgot that last one. If I recall my Aces of the Deep days, so very long ago, it was possible to take that stern torpedo into the forward compartment. Anybody remember doing that in AotD?

Veteran Aces of the Deep fan here...

Yes I do, and I was kind of disturbed that SHIII does not allow that option! I thought for sure that the U-boat crews could do whatever they wanted with there torpedos at sea. I even thought that I had read that, if they needed to, they could "Float" the torpedo from the rear deck storage to the bow, then down into the forward torpedo room!

I wish I had that option in SHIII with the IXB/C boats!

ahhh, Aces of the Deep...
http://www.juegomania.org/Aces+of+the+Deep/fotos/pc/4/4498_t/Foto+Aces+of+the+Deep.jpg
...Gotta love it..."Exit to DOS"

Kaleun1961
09-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Yes, Otto, they would tie life preservers to the torpedoes to increase their buoyancy and in exactly that manner float them to move them about.

Ah, yes, DOS! Say what you will about it, once you had your memory configured it seldom gave you stability issues. I use to use QEMM memory manager and had 634 out of 640 available to programs; never needed a boot disk to run my games. I also used to use DosShell as a graphical menu; no command line entries, just point and click.

The_Silent_O
09-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Yes, Otto, they would tie life preservers to the torpedoes to increase their buoyancy and in exactly that manner float them to move them about.

Ah, yes, DOS! Say what you will about it, once you had your memory configured it seldom gave you stability issues. I use to use QEMM memory manager and had 634 out of 640 available to programs; never needed a boot disk to run my games. I also used to use DosShell as a graphical menu; no command line entries, just point and click.

I also used QEMM, I'd forgot about that until you mentioned it. I used to use it to boot up "Aces of the Pacific" also!

I also remember upgrading my 486DX33 chip to a 486DX66 and I had to use a butterknife to pry the old chip out! (this was before they had the release arms for the main processors!). What I'd do for gameplay!

Kaleun1961
09-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I still have all the tools for 100% DOS 6.22. It was my intention to rebuild an old system and run DOS 6.22, just so I could get back to AotD, but then along comes SH3 and it suddenly seems pointless.

By the way, I still have my old map from AotD. I had it professionally mounted and laminated, so that I could hang it on my wall next to my gaming rig. I must take a photo of it and post it. It was in storage for years, but now it is out and back in action. I bet I could fetch a fair buck for it on eBay, but there's no chance I am going to let go of it!

froschman
09-29-2005, 12:32 PM
The old Aces of the Deep! I had to pull out my map, but it looks a bit faded now. You have to have a good light to read the map, or perhaps I am older now.

I did start playing that game in Germany. I was sent there working with computer programming in sawmills, and on evenings in the "Gasthaus" I did run the game on my portable PC.