PDA

View Full Version : WHY IS THIS GAME ONLY AVAILABLE ON DVD!!!????

Crush623
07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
DO I HAVE TO BUY A FR***EN DVD PLAYER JUST TO INSTALL THIS GAME!!???

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShinyBaldy
07-12-2005, 07:14 PM
you can buy and download online

if in us... use drive2drive

if in uk... ubi's uk site

Maj_Solo
07-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I would expect future games to be released on DVD more and more even if it is kinda stupid cause they are more sensitive but then I managed to destroy my CDs too ...... copying them down on a big hardrive and use demon tools I hope will work, right now I am waiting for a torrent of OPART300 .... ****ty CD cratched, RT3 **** CD scratched .... but if you buy yourself a ****ty .... no you called it a FR***EN .... DVD CD/DVD RW Combo then you can burn DVD movies also or take home from the video store .... and the FRIGGING DVD combo could probably cost around $80, to be used for more than playing games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cpt_Walrus
07-13-2005, 12:01 AM
"DO I HAVE TO BUY A FR***EN DVD PLAYER JUST TO INSTALL THIS GAME!!???"

Its called the future..you would not only have to buy a DVD rom to install it but wait even more bad news... you will need that same DVD rom to play it..sucks hey..nothin more irritating then having to play disk jockey by installing a game with like 4 cd's.Most of the newer games would come out on DVD so to invest in a DVD rom I recon is a good idea.Imagine they had to put SH3 on "floppy disks"?!!...wont work..things in life progress its part of evolution and we just have to go with it, or die out like dinosaurs..so yeah go buy the DVD Rom not just for this game but for all the new games to come.

Ackwell
07-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Why is everybody whining about games on DVD? A DVD drive costs under 20" in Europe which I think is about 24$ in US. You really don't have that much to spend to upgrade your computer? And still you got money to buy the game? (hopefully) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

blue_76
07-13-2005, 12:46 AM
why did the germans build the XXI? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

lets face it.. technology will always change.

RedTerex
07-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Cpt_Walrus:Imagine they had to put SH3 on "floppy disks.

2605 Mb / by 1.44 Mb floppys = 1809 floppy disks required !! more like 2100 as you could never fill a floppy disk to full capacity.

4 CD-ROMS maybe...

yep, I'm glad it came on DVD !

Never mind Crush263...see it as the ideal oppourtunity to upgrade.
More games will soon be out on DVD as CD-ROM fades to grey.

And maybe in a few years or so games will be in digital card style like MP3 chips.
no download just plug in and play...cant wait ! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tobus75
07-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Crush623:

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weren't you the one who, back in the day, complained that Strike Commander would only be published on cd-rom, since it was a whopping 40MB of a game and therefor could not fit onto less than five 3.5" discs?

S VIIC_41
07-13-2005, 07:28 AM
The big question is...

How could you even have a computer that could play SHIII that doesn't have a DVD drive?

aaronblood
07-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Not so much the move to DVD that bothers me...

It's the cursed Starforce protection that I just can't believe!

If you buy a DVD player for games, MAKE SURE IT'S JUST A CHEAP DVD PLAYER! If you spring for the $150-200 newest dual-layer R/W you will be shocked and greatly disappointed when it stops working. DO NOT RUN A DVD GAME FROM A REWRITEABLE DVD PLAYER!!!

Unfortunately, I've learned my Starforce lesson the hard way... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

In this case, you'd be wise to just buy the D/L version w/o the starforce. The manual is **** anyway and if you want to learn how to sink ships manually, you're better off using the attack tutorial manuals from the forums.

Crush623
07-13-2005, 09:18 AM
If I wanted to watch movies on my computer, I'd buy the frikkin DVD player.. BUT I DON'T! That's what my 72" plasma is for.

As for the advancement of technology argument... I'm not buying it. So what if it's 3 or 4 cds???

As for the "BIG" question.. I have a 3.2 P4 with 2Gig of Ram and a GeForce 6800... Think that will work???

The reason it doesnt have a DVD drive is cause I built the frikken thing myself, and saw no need at the time to put in a dvd player (see 1st paragraph).

Thanks for the tip Aaronblood.. if I EVER decide to break down and get a fr***en dvd player.. I'll go el'cheapo.

<Scream> ... there.. I feel better...

Faamecanic
07-13-2005, 09:40 AM
If I wanted to watch movies on my computer, I'd buy the frikkin DVD player.. BUT I DON'T! That's what my 72" plasma is for.

As for the advancement of technology argument... I'm not buying it. So what if it's 3 or 4 cds???

As for the "BIG" question.. I have a 3.2 P4 with 2Gig of Ram and a GeForce 6800... Think that will work???

The reason it doesnt have a DVD drive is cause I built the frikken thing myself, and saw no need at the time to put in a dvd player (see 1st paragraph).

Thanks for the tip Aaronblood.. if I EVER decide to break down and get a frikken dvd player.. I'll go el'cheapo.

<Scream> ... there.. I feel better...

Its called "cheaper for Ubi to manufacture 1 DVD vs. 4 or 5 CD-Roms".

Your going to have to break down and buy a el'cheapo...because all software is going to start migrating to DVD only. DVD drives have been out what...about 3 years now? Besides my last PC build, I had to use about 20 CD-Rs to backup my stuff... all that could have fit on what... 4 or 5 DVD-Rs?

What I want to know is why SH III didnt come on 400 3.5" floppies http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Sorry...I know its frustrating. I bought SWAT 4 only to find out it came on DVD so I had to go out and buy a cheapo DVD to install it.

What REALLY ticks me off is how most games now come with little or NO manual. Most have the manual in .pdf .

Or what REALLY REALLY ticks me off is how newer laptops (and probably desktops too now) NO LONGER include a WinXP/manufacturer RESTORE disk. They have some BS program for you to make your own. My wife's Sony VIAO we just bought wanted 2 DVD-r and 1 CD-ROM to make the backup disks..which took like 3 hours to do!!

Crush623
07-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Dude, that sucks!

Antrodemus
07-13-2005, 11:04 AM
If I wanted to watch movies on my computer, I'd buy the frikkin DVD player.. BUT I DON'T!

Well... if you want to play the majority of games likely to be released in the next few years, you'll have to. TBH, I don't understand why you're having kittens about a fr***in' 20 drive, when your PC is worth a grand...

A.

Crush623
07-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Right now, TODAY, how many OTHER games come out ONLY on DVD???

Antrodemus
07-13-2005, 02:42 PM
What does it matter? DVD drives have been common devices in PCs for years... people have been buying them since they were priced at 10 - 15 times the price they are now, and yet you b!tch about having to buy one at 20?

Solution : Don't buy one. Don't buy the game either. Problem solved.

A.

Crush623
07-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I ***** about having to buy one at funky mark 20??? , not ONCE did I "*****" about the price... the price is NOT what I am "*****"-ing about...

It's the fr***en fact that I have to install something I don't want or need for no particular reason other than the fact, that the publishers of this ONE game decided to be *******es and only release it on DVD when no other game manufacturer on the planet has EVER done that!!!

Man, I knew when I posted my complaint on here I was gonna hear BS about floppy drives, and upgrading my technology and yada.. yada....

and you know your "Solution", of "Dont buy one, Dont buy the game either." is BRILLIANT!!! **** why didnt I think of that sooner!!!??? Are you a member of Mensa!???

Wow!

Antrodemus
07-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Hmmm... hang on a moment while I glance to my right.., now, what is this I see? Err...

Silent Hunter 3 = DVD only.
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory = DVD only.
Beyond Good and Evil = DVD only.

...and that's just the ones I have in my "currently playing" pile.

Actually, forget what I said about spending 20 on a DVD drive, and instead, put it aside to pay for your impending hospital bill. Y'know, to pay for that coronary you'll undoubtedly have quite soon?

hint : lower your caffeine intake.

A.

Antrodemus
07-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Hmm... it's all coming back to me now.

The moment of silence = DVD only.
GTA : San Andreas = DVD only.
Far Cry = DVD only.
Half-Life 2 = DVD only.

...but hey! You're right! What were those *******es at Ubisoft thinkin'?

A.

RedTerex
07-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Its just a simple measly 20 quid upgrade Crusha...whats your problem ?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I had to upgrade my RAM and my Video card to be able to play SHIII. I didnt realy want to spend any more cash on my PC but I upgraded anyway with foresight in mind...
...maybe, I mused, my upgrade will allow me to play other games in the future not just SHIII.

Ubi-Softs idea of putting SHIII on DVD was in keeping with todays technology.

I have a 2 and half year old DVD, CD-ROM Rewritable all in one. Yes, all in one, best of both worlds and the technology has been out for a while now.

fizilbert
07-13-2005, 05:39 PM

Well, now you have a reason. And I'm glad to see it finally happening. For the last year or so I've been asking myself why game companies continue to make games on 10 CDs rather then putting it on one DVD, when most people have DVDs in their systems. You can't buy a store bought PC these days without one in it, and most people who make their own PCs put one in eventually, like myself. It's just a sound upgrade at this point in time. They cost cheap, and it's something that really wont change over the course of several years, so as time goes by and you upgrade your PC, you can port that DVD over to your new system. Take the plunge, come join the dark side. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's the frikken fact that I have to install something I don't want or need for no particular reason other than the fact, that the publishers of this ONE game decided to be *******es and only release it on DVD when no other game manufacturer on the planet has EVER done that!!!

Well, you may not want it, but you certainly need it, otherwise you wouldn't be posting a message about how much it makes you angry that it's not available on CD. And you know, 10 years ago, people were saying the same thing about CD-ROMS. Why do I have to go buy a **** CD-ROM just so I can install some software the developers decided they only wanted to release on CD? Why can't they just give it to me on my normal floppies?

It's called progress my friend. And in 10 years, they'll be putting games on laser crystals or something, and leaving DVDs in the dust. It's time to upgrade. Game developers are more and more releasing their games only on DVD. If you dont upgrade now, you may find yourself only playing windows solitaire because you can't install anything else.

Oh, and can you imagine how many 5.25 floppies it would take to hold SH3? Yikes! You'd have to have the game box brought in by a hoist.

GT182
07-13-2005, 05:48 PM
As some of you might have noticed, I've edited your your posts. Keep it clean.... you don't need to use the wording the way you have. This isn't a street corner or a locker room.

Maj_Solo
07-13-2005, 05:52 PM
also you can backup alot of data easily on a writable DVD or why not a rewritable one. If your HD fills up, easy to burn a DVD and free up 4GB.

akenworthy
07-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by aaronblood:
Not so much the move to DVD that bothers me...

It's the cursed Starforce protection that I just can't believe!

If you buy a DVD player for games, MAKE SURE IT'S JUST A CHEAP DVD PLAYER! If you spring for the $150-200 newest dual-layer R/W you will be shocked and greatly disappointed when it stops working. DO NOT RUN A DVD GAME FROM A REWRITEABLE DVD PLAYER!!!

Unfortunately, I've learned my Starforce lesson the hard way... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

In this case, you'd be wise to just buy the D/L version w/o the starforce. The manual is **** anyway and if you want to learn how to sink ships manually, you're better off using the attack tutorial manuals from the forums.

In what way exactly does it screw up your dvd-recorder?

Mine seems to have developed a problem where it's detected as a removeable drive (hard drive/floppy drive), and will stay like that until I uninstall it via device manager and reboot. Wonder if it's related....

aaronblood
07-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by akenworthy:
In what way exactly does it screw up your dvd-recorder?

Mine seems to have developed a problem where it's detected as a removeable drive (hard drive/floppy drive), and will stay like that until I uninstall it via device manager and reboot. Wonder if it's related....

I'd venture to bet it IS related.

It (SH3 DVD version) installs some Starforce drivers in Windows that don't play nice with MANY combo DVD/CD r/w drives.

To rid yourself of the problem you apparently have to use a special downloadable removal tool and possibly a full blow reformat/reinstall on Windows. ...and then of course you can't reinstall SH3 or you're right back at square one.

In my case I have a brand new Sony DRU-720a that no longer recognizes when a disk is inserted. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Just Google a bit on the Starforce fiasco and you'll see...

Lukey__b
07-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I get problems with my DVD R/RW combo drive. It fails to see disks, but i usually just have to eject and insert it again and it works.

JU88
07-14-2005, 01:31 PM
DVD ROM drives cost peanuts -less than a copy of SH3 in fact, some people have to spend big bucks on a graphics card to play SH3 ..so stop moaning http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

aaronblood
07-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JU88:
DVD ROM drives cost peanuts -less than a copy of SH3 in fact, some people have to spend big bucks on a graphics card to play SH3 ..so stop moaning http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Money's not an issue... I got more invested in two graphics cards than most have in their whole PC!

Had I known beforehand (about starforce) I would've definitely picked up a cheap little DVD player and popped it into an open bay.

Now I've just got to deal with all the added headache of fixing all this mess starforce created...

aaronblood
07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Lukey__b:
I get problems with my DVD R/RW combo drive. It fails to see disks, but i usually just have to eject and insert it again and it works.

That worked for me too... for awhile. Then it just stopped recognizing disks altogether. It's odd, and I was at first ticked with Sony but have come to realize it's starforce.

However, even tho you get the combo drive to read the disk, you're likely going to see a drop in r/w performance.

Faamecanic
07-14-2005, 02:13 PM
I ***** about having to buy one at funky mark 20??? , not ONCE did I "*****" about the price... the price is NOT what I am "*****"-ing about...

It's the fr***en fact that I have to install something I don't want or need for no particular reason other than the fact, that the publishers of this ONE game decided to be *******es and only release it on DVD when no other game manufacturer on the planet has EVER done that!!!

Man, I knew when I posted my complaint on here I was gonna hear BS about floppy drives, and upgrading my technology and yada.. yada....

and you know your "Solution", of "Dont buy one, Dont buy the game either." is BRILLIANT!!! **** why didnt I think of that sooner!!!??? Are you a member of Mensa!???

Wow!

Humm... elcheapo DVD ROM drive ($30 USD) or

New Xbox360 or PS ($400+ )

or Old PS/Xbox ($200??)

I'll buy a DVD rom.

lego1990
07-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Wow!
Look, you need to calm down. Buying a DVD drive is a good idea. Pretty soon most software will be on DVD. My freind's aunt works for a software co., and ALL (i repeat) ALL software distribution in countries besids the US is done ON DVD. So there. Now you have a reason to buy one.

ps. we dont care how big your **** TV is.

Lukey__b
07-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by aaronblood:
That worked for me too... for awhile. Then it just stopped recognizing disks altogether. It's odd, and I was at first ticked with Sony but have come to realize it's starforce.

However, even tho you get the combo drive to read the disk, you're likely going to see a drop in r/w performance.

I used to have huge problems with it... it not writing at all. Tried pretty much everything to solve it and was about to send back to manufactureres, when one day it just worked. At the time I was too happy to take note of any changes I made. That was months ago, its been working since.

I do hope companies start using sense and stop punishing the paying customers.
I saw SH3 available on a newsgroup(Take note im not saying where) the other day and ive seen a workaround for the starforce protection on it. So the pirates arent affected at all. Only if you legally purchase the product do UBI illegally install starforce drivers onto your PC.

Please note I didnt say where or how, I just aknowledged the existence of such things. I dont want to browse the forums 2mos and see that im banned or that my message was deleted. Ive seen that kinda thing happen before for no good reason.

Night_Crawler
07-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah Crush623, AND DONT FORGET THE Wally World "ROLLBACK" prizes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.walmart.com/i/if/cat/icn/rollbackicon_75.gif
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/04/82/31/29/0004823129219_500X500.jpg
$38.95, plus Sales-taxes 6% in FLA
LG is good even i have it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cpt_Walrus
07-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Crush623..dont get your knickers in a knot..you should by now realize that if you ask stupid questions you will get stupid answers..and by asking why in the year 2005 they release a game only on DVD I think qualify for a pretty stupid question..you dont need to be a memebr of Mensa to figure that out?

Trackman53
07-15-2005, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crush623:
QUOTE]

This is funny. I'm old enought to remeber when people bit?hed about new games on 3.5" disk, why didn't they keep on making them on 5.25"? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Oh, an try buying Manuals on CD. They are encripted with a web based browser. You can't even read the darn things witout a internet connection.

archer49d
07-15-2005, 11:16 AM

Yeah, they should have published SH3 on all 4000 5.25 floppies.

JU88
07-15-2005, 11:23 AM
I WANTED TO GET THE BACON EDITION OF SH3, BUT I DIDNT WANT TO PAY OUT FOR A USB BACON DRIVE http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

JU88
07-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I COPIED MY FRIENDS SH3 ON TO A SLICE OF TOAST WITH PEANUT BUTTER
BUT I CANT FIND AN IDE TOAST WITH PEANUT BUTTER READER ANYWHERE, SO I TRIED TO INSTALL IT IN MY FLOPPY DRIVE BUT I WONT WORK, WHILE I THINKING WHAT TO DO NEXT, I ATE THE TOAST, NOW I HAVE NO SH3 **** YOU UBI! I WANT MY MONEY BACK! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Lukey__b
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by JU88:
I COPIED MY FRIENDS SH3 ON TO A SLICE OF TOAST WITH PEANUT BUTTER
BUT I CANT FIND AN IDE TOAST WITH PEANUT BUTTER READER ANYWHERE, SO I TRIED TO INSTALL IT IN MY FLOPPY DRIVE BUT I WONT WORK, WHILE I THINKING WHAT TO DO NEXT, I ATE THE TOAST, NOW I HAVE NO SH3 **** YOU UBI! I WANT MY MONEY BACK! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

jpr21b
07-15-2005, 02:43 PM
why dont u just buy a lite-on dvd read only drive (internal) for like 20 bucks?

And I find it hard to believe that if you built your computer yourself, that you were naive enough to put a cd-rom in it instead of a dvd-rom.

You know, DVD-roms read CD's and DVD's alike.

RedTerex
07-15-2005, 04:12 PM
It takes a long time before I can read and reply to any of these posts due to the valves that heat up too slowly in my monitor.
A typewriter hooked up to my PC serves as a keyboard ( the wiring was a nightmare ! )

My PC is actually a replica of Babbidges 'Differential Engine' and believe you me its no joke cranking that handle round all the time.
CD-ROM-DVD drive is a record turn table, that stylus scratches the hell outta my CD's too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Have I got a mouse??

yeah LOL, his name is Pippin and he lives in his cage.

Upgrade ?? No -way..btw I cant install 'Sonic The Hedge Hog OR Jet Pack Willy '..ideas anyone ?

fizilbert
07-15-2005, 08:37 PM
I still use my modem where you have to hook the phone receiver up to it. Why should I have to install a fancy modem just to connect to the internet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

steve_v
07-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by RedTerex:
It takes a long time before I can read and reply to any of these posts due to the valves that heat up too slowly in my monitor.
A typewriter hooked up to my PC serves as a keyboard ( the wiring was a nightmare ! )

My PC is actually a replica of Babbidges 'Differential Engine' and believe you me its no joke cranking that handle round all the time.
CD-ROM-DVD drive is a record turn table, that stylus scratches the hell outta my CD's too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Have I got a mouse??

yeah LOL, his name is Pippin and he lives in his cage.

Upgrade ?? No -way..btw I cant install 'Sonic The Hedge Hog OR Jet Pack Willy '..ideas anyone ?

Seen your setup. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://www.geocities.com/g8tr45/computer.txt

Suggest the following BIOS tweeks:

http://www.geocities.com/g8tr45/BIOS.txt

RedTerex
07-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Roflmao ! Steve-v ?? hehe, trust someone to get a photo of it.

And lol after following the CMOS tweaks 'Sonic The Hedgehog' and 'Jet Pack Willy' are now up and running thanks !

Vindaloo24
07-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Anybody up to putting 5 CDs in like how Half Life 2 was only to insert the 4th CD just to find a CD error.

joeap
07-17-2005, 04:49 AM
Isn't there a downloadable version available??

fizilbert
07-17-2005, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by joeap:
Isn't there a downloadable version available??

Of what? SH3? Yes, there is. You can go to direct2drive.com and purchase it and have it downloaded directly to your HD.

joeap
07-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Yea that's what I meant. I knew that was just wondering if the folks complaining about getting a dvd drive knew that.

VF-17_Jolly
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00023HULW.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
just for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GT182
07-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Why just buy a DVD drive when for a bit more... under a hundred bucks, you can get a very good DVD burner that's a DVD and CD ROM player/burner all in 1.

by Crush623
WHY IS THIS GAME ONLY AVAILABLE ON DVD!!!????

This just in from UBI....."Because we says so." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

And RedT, that looks like the top of the line model that Steve posted a picture of. Wish I had one too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Antrodemus
07-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Why just buy a DVD drive when for a bit more... under a hundred bucks, you can get a very good DVD burner that's a DVD and CD ROM player/burner all in 1.

Shhhhh!!!

You'll start (another) anti-starforce war.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A.

aaronblood
07-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by GT182:

Cuz... as mentioned... Starforce destroys such things. Stick with a cheap read-only drive for playing games.