PDA

View Full Version : its me again flight noob

f.ip2
08-02-2007, 09:57 PM
ok

i assume after three days you cannot be an ace but I run into the following situation.

I like to set the PC AI to ace and always try to battle few fighters now.

But the first problem I have is no matter what I fly the computer outperforms me, 90 %. I follow him no matter what he flies and end up with heavy blackouts ...

i read quite some material about hit and run, build up altitude and than dive down.

but again no matter what i play spit VS FW or FW vs Spit the PC always outperforms me even in altitude gain and speed.

i was flying a 1944 spit against a 1939 BF 109 which was always faster ...

so my questions: I need some serious help. bomber runs are fine with me. with the M 262 i have problem following the tactics I read online. dive and hit, below or front, ...

but not with any other piston.

I am even afraid to challange a US dive bomber with a Zero. I guess he will even get me in my zero ... (just kidding)

is there any resource you would recommend to read? i found myself quite impressed with the amount of technical data players know here to assist them flying their planes.

f.ip2
08-02-2007, 09:57 PM
ok

i assume after three days you cannot be an ace but I run into the following situation.

I like to set the PC AI to ace and always try to battle few fighters now.

But the first problem I have is no matter what I fly the computer outperforms me, 90 %. I follow him no matter what he flies and end up with heavy blackouts ...

i read quite some material about hit and run, build up altitude and than dive down.

but again no matter what i play spit VS FW or FW vs Spit the PC always outperforms me even in altitude gain and speed.

i was flying a 1944 spit against a 1939 BF 109 which was always faster ...

so my questions: I need some serious help. bomber runs are fine with me. with the M 262 i have problem following the tactics I read online. dive and hit, below or front, ...

but not with any other piston.

I am even afraid to challange a US dive bomber with a Zero. I guess he will even get me in my zero ... (just kidding)

is there any resource you would recommend to read? i found myself quite impressed with the amount of technical data players know here to assist them flying their planes.

knightflyte
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
You've found IL2's one glaring problem for offline players.

Programming AI is difficult. There's no way todays computers could reflect the myriad of responses and actions a REAL pilot can do. So, some sacrifices or limitations are because of the technical limits of todays processors.

So the AI cheats a bit. It does stink.

Practice and master SMOOTH flying. Keeping your aircraft trimmed. And, Complex Engine Management. These will go a long way toward helping, but won't eliminate the glaring AI problem.

What you end up doing is recognizing the AI patterns or sometimes tricking it into a battle.

Lets say you have alt advantage. You dive in, but don't score a kill right away. Well you know the AI will out climb you or run away from you. Turn tail and AI comes back at you to fight. It's pretty predictable.

If you learn the AI's patterns you can anticipate where they will be and score kills.

Practice the above and you will get more enjoyment from the sim.

I'd also turn down the AI.

"In Persuit" is an online book that 'trains' sim pilots. It's lightweight but packed with good info. You should be able to find it easily enough in the nuggets guide at the top of the forum..... or in the moderator BEARCAT's signature.

MrMojok
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
I thought someone mentioned this to you in another thread, but the AI controlled plane in this game is always trimmed perfectly, instantaneously, for any manuever, and never overheats. The AI-pilot doesn't black out like you do, either.

So yeah, you are going to be outperformed often by AI.

Your advantages are that the AI cannot think-- in reality they have seven or eight sets of scripted-type manuever responses that don't really vary other than that. Also that they cannot deflection-shoot very well at all.

Waldo.Pepper
08-02-2007, 10:30 PM
IMHO the Godlike qualities of the AI cannot account for this ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">was flying a 1944 spit against a 1939 BF 109 which was always faster ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is because he is so new (3 days I believe).

Practice is what is needed here.

stalkervision
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Excellent noob plane...Japanese Zero. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

just don't go gunsite to gunsite with any american fighters.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stalkervision
08-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I take that back. Try the Corsair. It is very fast,well armored and turns very well at high speed.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Eldude95
08-02-2007, 11:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> i assume after three days you cannot be an ace but I run into the following situation.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> It's been a year and a half and I'm a super noob (imagine Superman with an N instead of S for Super Noob).

f.ip2
08-03-2007, 12:21 AM
@ MrMojok

I did not read about the AI not blacking out. I thought they might somehow build this in somehow ...

@ Knightflyte

Trimming and complex engine management.
well i set my elevator trim to the throttle level at my saitek pro to keep the mashine fly more straight.

I assume when I want to perform a sharp climp I put the trim back to the end of the plane and than pull to gain better turning distance???

Also complex engine management - how does this effect the flight? well I know about the booster but is there more you can do ???

@ Waldo

4 days now

Waldo.Pepper
08-03-2007, 01:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4 days now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine how awesome you will be in 8 days!

(Someone should be along with an apropos quote fro Battle of Britain - I hope, any minute now.) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HuninMunin
08-03-2007, 02:00 AM
As ordered:

Spring chicken to ****ehawk in only 8 days. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

EDIT
ROFL
My girlfriend just told me that my "geekness-meter" just raised to a new max because I remembered that quote and even in english at that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

f.ip2
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
wow a lot of helpful geek comments

HuninMunin
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Ernst_Rohr
08-03-2007, 09:19 AM
f.ip2

The trick to trim is that you want to keep the plane trimmed up for level flight, at least most of the time.

The single biggest part of that is learning to keep the ball centered when it comes to your rudder. That is the single biggest issue for most new pilots, and it drastically effects your speed. Centering the ball means your flying clean from a drag perspective.

Less drag = faster plane

With complex engine management, you actually have several things to look at.

Engine RPMs
Manifold pressure
Prop pitch
mixture control
radiator settings

Basically, your rpm and manifold are part of the same thing. High rpms and high pressure = overheating engine. Most planes have a sweet spot, where your can set the throttle, and keep the rpm and pressure at peak cruise.

Prop pitch ties into this, kind of like the gears on a car. That isnt exactly how it works, but its a good analogy to start with. As you lower the prop pitch, the engine doenst have to work as hard, so you can run at the same speed, with less work.

Mixture control isnt something you have to worry about too much. setting the mixture rich is handy for take off, especially on carriers, but generally you dont have to mess with this particular setting too much for general flight. At very low or very high altitudes, it is helpful (or crucial) to learn how to do this. Low alt = high mix, high alt = lower mixture.

Most supercharged planes take care of this for you, btw, so its not generally a huge issue.

Finally, radiator settings. This can (but not always) dramatically effect how hot your engine runs. The higher the number setting, the more you cool the engine, but the worse protected your engine is. The radiator also effects drag, so the more open it is, the more it decreases your speed.

This is all dependent on what kind of plane your flying however, for example;

Bf-109-
This is actually a pretty easy plane to fly. There is an automatic system that manages the pitch, and unless your at very high altitudes, you don't need to touch mixture. You can run this plane at 85% to 92% throttle almost constantly, if you watch your engine temp and work with the radiator. The down side is that this plane is rather unforgiving on landings!

The 109 only has rudder trim, so you wind up having to work the stick more to keep it staight and level.

Zero-
This is a good plane to learn on. The Zero is an all manual plane, no automatic systems, so its a hands on plane. The Zero can be flown at 85% to 92% constantly, BUT you have to work with the radiator and pitch! In flat level cruising, run the pitch at 80% to 90%, in a fight, 100%. The big thing with the Zero is learn to keep the ball centered! The Zero, like all Japanese planes, tends to climb at will, so if you have rotaries on you stick, set one for elevator trim.

There is a pretty good guide on basic plane capabilities that is on the 1946 DVD, check if for the basics of your plane like supercharger settings and such.

p-11.cAce
08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he 109 only has rudder trim, so you wind up having to work the stick more to keep it staight and level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
109 only has elevator trim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Considering it took me several days to get up and down in one piece I would not worry TOO much...a simple minded FPS this is not! Then again I've been flying this thing over 5 years and I still get my *** handed to me often by the AI. It is true that the AI uses a simplified FM but its not as uber as some would like to believe. Practice practice practice - and not just combat. Can you land successfully at least 9 out of 10 times? If not practice that first - if you can't control an aircraft well enough to get it on the ground in one piece no way can you fight with it properly.