PDA

View Full Version : the fixed eye technique

raaaid
04-22-2010, 07:44 PM
i find very difficult to track the bogey and the crosshair at the same time

so what i used to do is place my sight somewhere between the objects and fix my view there

anybody else does this?

raaaid
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
i mean instead of focusing your eyes in just one object use your peripheral view to see two objects at the time, the foe and the gunsgiht

Erkki_M
04-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Raaaid, the number one fan of peripherial vision.

I can track the the bogey, maneuver and look around me simultaneously. Takes some practice but is doable with hat-switch and mouse too without losing control of throttle and other controls. Besides the gunsight is pointing direct or at least close to where your aircraft's nose point, ainnit?

Tully__
04-23-2010, 05:31 AM
raaaid, have you read the stuff at the SimHQ Air Combat Library? (http://www.simhq.com/_air/acc_library.html)
In particular I find the article series by Andy Bush useful.

DKoor
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I think this is mostly a matter of getting used to the gun sight... in game I believe gunnery is somewhat easier than IRL... because we can "center" our screen and gunsight would be almost redundant after extensive practice... especially on planes such is FW.

You may laugh all you want but in many instances my "gun sight" orientation consists of calcuating my speed & position vs the bandit position & speed relative to my canopy framework... actually I think most people does this without even thinking of it... (especially during snap shots & deflection).

K_Freddie
04-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by raaaid:
i mean instead of focusing your eyes in just one object use your peripheral view to see two objects at the time, the foe and the gunsgiht
In a sense you're right..
I focus on neither, but the 'predicted motion/position' of both (if that makes sense) to determine my firing position.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

M_Gunz
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Raaaid, unless you have a really wide screen there should be nothing there that is in peripheral vision.
Please say you do not drive any vehicles! Even a bicycle, you could get hurt!

There is the crosshair and there is the target. Is the target moving towards the crosshair? How long to get
there or the place your shots would be relative to the crosshair about as far away as the target is? When
the target and shots should reach the same place in the fraction of a second from now it is time to send the
shots on their way. Watch the tracers, correct the aim and let him have it. It's that simple.

Don't fixate. Put the doob down if necessary.

AndyJWest
04-23-2010, 05:37 PM
For high deflection shots, I still use the sight, but aim it at where I expect the plane to be when my bullets arrive (at least, that is the idea), even if this means I can't actually see the target at the time. Otherwise I mostly use the sight, but in 'normal' magnification, rather than zoomed in - that way the angle between gunsight centre and target is small enough to see both well.

Tully__
04-24-2010, 02:30 AM
I have removed some posts that were off (any) topic and might have been considered insulting. Please do not put any more such posts in here.

raaaid
04-24-2010, 08:41 AM
oh dont worry tully i dont think they had bad intention

come on nobody believes in the force?

for example i noticed i pilot much better if i sing

thats cause then you do the things without even thinking, thinking is bad for piloting

you dont try so you dont fail you just do it

of course this is racing, i mean singing, i cant sing while i try to roast somebody extracrispy in thir burning cockpit

why not a server just for turning duels?

no shooting just turning duels in equal planes thatd be awesome

oh come on theres already air racing but thats so boring

wouldnt it be ultracool circle racing?