PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips for Finding Huge Convoys / Task Forces??

ctbrosky1974
04-07-2005, 12:17 PM
I've been playing career mode from Lorient & Brest (1942) and my patrol assignments are always across the Atlantic, off US coast. I'll happen upon some poor merchant vessel not long after departing port and then find abolutely nothing during the long Atlantic transit. When I do reach the assigned grid I'm out of fuel and can't afford to patrol the area. That means I return to port with a couple of crappy merchants and about 15 torps left.

Can someone please explain to me how I find the fatty convoys out in the Atlantic?? I got a fever and need some action!!

ctbrosky1974
04-07-2005, 12:17 PM
I've been playing career mode from Lorient & Brest (1942) and my patrol assignments are always across the Atlantic, off US coast. I'll happen upon some poor merchant vessel not long after departing port and then find abolutely nothing during the long Atlantic transit. When I do reach the assigned grid I'm out of fuel and can't afford to patrol the area. That means I return to port with a couple of crappy merchants and about 15 torps left.

Can someone please explain to me how I find the fatty convoys out in the Atlantic?? I got a fever and need some action!!

Nukem_Hicks
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
First off, what are you commanding? Type IXs can make it across the Atlantic with plenty of fuel to spare if you cross at about 10 knots, leaving you plenty of patrol time off the fat American shipping lanes. Otherwise, look at the map included with your game. It details the specific convoy routes and the years they were available. The areas off Halifax and New York are typically swarming with convoys. Simply position yourself off the coast aways and wait.

On the other side of the Atlantic, the coast off North Ireland is the perfect convoy hunting grounds. Most of the convoys crossing the Atlantic are shunted that direction. Take up patrol there and you'll come across convoys quite quickly. In the absence of contact reports from BdU periodically dive to 20m and stop your engines. Sweep the hydrophone around manually a few times (your sonarman isn't trustworthy enough). You'll know when you hear a convoy.

quillan
04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
If you're in a type IX, and you're running out of fuel getting to the west side of the Atlantic, you're running too fast. Use Ahead 1/3, or Ahead Slow for cruising. Only use faster speed settings if you're trying to intercept a target or get away. I can get nearly 17,000 km out of a type VIIB, and I know a IX can do better.

ctbrosky1974
04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm running a type IX, ahead-full, at full time compression in the middle Atlantic. The only reason I've done that recently is because I get bored sailing to my destination and finding nothing.

Are you saying I should NOT use time compression and sail Ahead 1/3?? Or can I still use compression?

One more thing, even after I've upgraded to hydrophone I still can't figure out how to use it. Like Nukem_Hicks said, the sonar man never hears anything. How do I use the hydrophone manually??

Nukem_Hicks
04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Oh, you certainly want to use time compression, unless you're one of those crazy real-timers that has five years to spend playing a game. Full speed is far too fast, however. Your range typically doubles every time you drop your speed a step. Cross at ahead slow and you could make it to the Pacific. Just be sure to bring a book; it's a goo 30 minute voyage across the Pacific.

Right click on your sonarman's picture. You'll find yourself with a big compass wheel in front of you. Clicking on any point of the compass moves the hydrophones to that position. You can circle the entire compass in this manner.

ctbrosky1974
04-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm definitely not a real-timer, nor ultra realist. I like to get into the action, sink some tonnage, then go home and throw some medals out to the crew.

Thank you for the advice! I'll go home and give it a try tonight.

SUMMARY
a. Cross Ahead-Slow, compressed
b. Dive to 20m
c. All Stop
d. Manual Hydrophone
e. Get medieval on that ***

Athlonics
04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Ok here is a quick tip to be sure to not miss a convoy:

First, as said before, follow the known convoy's routes on the paper map.

Put time compression at 1024x, and if the game begin to lag ... well it's time to dive at least at periscope depth and to do a 360degres hydrophone scan with volume put to max.

Hope it helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ctbrosky1974
04-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Tried out the above suggestions and they worked great! I was really having a good ole time sinking three ships shortly after leaving Brest. With a smile on my face I headed out towards the convoy lanes SW of Ireland looking for the fatty convoys when BANG!!! Crash-To-Desktop in the crew managment screen.

So F'n ridiculous. Just when I think I get this game tweaked enough not to crash, the poor programming rears it ugly head again.

DEV TEAM..... YOU SUCK!!!

axeman3d
04-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Dont touch those **** buttons, do your crew stuff manually by drag and drop or double-clicking the compartment names. Whatever you do you must avoid pressing the 'surface cruise' button, which is more accurately the 'crash to desktop' button. I dont touch it and I dont crash now.

ctbrosky1974
04-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Funny thing is, I've used the "Surface Cruise" button since I got robbed of $40, I mean purchased SH3 three weeks ago. I never had a crash in crew management until last night. Maybe this has something to do with the 1.2 patch? You never know with this game.

I'll give your advice a try tonight. Thanks.

Oh yeah, DEV TEAM... YOU SUCK!!

alanschu
04-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Save your game before you go at the convoy. At least you won't have to do your trip again.

Lt.Davis
04-08-2005, 07:36 PM
i meet once the task force at BE31. Maybe you can try patroling that area.

Dr.Trespasser
04-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Calm down ctbrosky, there's no need to insult the devs.

Fraukaputt
04-09-2005, 07:47 AM
sure, never insult a developer. If they did this game with 50% bugs, the next one will be 100% bugs