PDA

View Full Version : Re-Loading Guns

smink1701
02-26-2010, 06:40 PM
If you select limited amo...can you reload guns in the middle of quick combat?

THX

AndyJWest
02-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, smink.

With limited ammo, you'll run out pretty quickly in most fighters - particularly cannon-armed ones. Then it's time to bug out and head home.

If you are talking about manned gun positions on bombers, the need to 'reload' isn't simulated, so again you run out fairly quickly.

You should always conserve ammo, and only shoot at long range under ideal circumstances. It's nice to be able to pick off a fighter at 450m, but it usually isn't particularly sensible to try, unless it is the only one about and you've got a clean shot. A lot depends on your armament, and on the target.

As I understand it, Zuti's 'moving dogfight' addon that is coming with the next TD patch will have a 'refuel and rearm' option, but you have to land to do that.

TinyTim
02-26-2010, 07:30 PM
If you are asking about reloading guns which should have several ammo drums, then no - you can't do it manually, guns are reloaded automatically in an instant - they are modelled as having one big ammosupply and you can shoot continuously until the gun runs dry.

Such examples are Bf110 (which had 3 drums with 60 rounds each per cannon, and after one was exhausted, a gunner crawled down and changed the drums), or many gunner stations with drum fed guns. One of cherries of this sim: you can see drums disappearing during shooting in a gunner stations. It can give you a rough estimation how much ammo you have left.

AndyJWest
02-26-2010, 07:33 PM
... you can see drums disappearing during shooting in a gunner stations
Another thing I'd never noticed. This sim still has a few goodies I'd missed, after all this time.

According to Oleg, SoW:BoB will do this more realistically.

ROXunreal
02-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Just today I scored an ultralucky shot on an A-20 from a zero, deflection shot from over 500m, only clicked on the triggers once, split second, wing clean off, I wish I recorded it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

TinyTim
02-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... you can see drums disappearing during shooting in a gunner stations
Another thing I'd never noticed. This sim still has a few goodies I'd missed, after all this time.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I was amazed too when I noticed this not so long ago.

Originally posted by AndyJWest:
According to Oleg, SoW:BoB will do this more realistically.
Yeah, I read about it in a recently posted interview with Oleg.

So, if rear gunner is incapacitated, drums can't be changed and you have empty guns with spare drums of ammo in the plane!

Romanator21
02-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Such examples are Bf110 (which had 3 drums with 60 rounds each per cannon, and after one was exhausted, a gunner crawled down and changed the drums), or many gunner stations with drum fed guns. One of cherries of this sim: you can see drums disappearing during shooting in a gunner stations. It can give you a rough estimation how much ammo you have left.

I was a little confused by your wording.

Some gunners in the game have ammo drums. In planes like the He-111 you can see these ammo drums disappear.

While it was true that the gunner had the job of also reloading the drums for the Bf-110 cannons, this is not the case in Il-2 because we have the Bf-110 G-2 which has belt-fed cannon, as well as belt-fed defensive guns.

I took the above post as meaning that our in-game Bf-110 had drums for the cannon armament. Made me look http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Other planes with drum fed cannons are the early Beaufighters. This was always considered a major inconvenience to have to re-arm just as you're about to shoot down bombers on night missions.

There is a whole thread somewhere of all the little things hidden in Il-2. One of my favorites is the wind-shield wiper on the Mossie that only works when it rains. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AndyJWest
02-26-2010, 09:39 PM
...the wind-shield wiper on the Mossie

Seen that. Only works below a certain airspeed, if I remember correctly.

the Mossie is the only a/c in IL-2 that has working cockpit trim indicators for all three axes, as far as I'm aware. All things considered, a neglected masterpiece. A shame that IL-2 rarely presents an opportunity to show it at its best.

TinyTim
02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Romanator21:
I took the above post as meaning that our in-game Bf-110 had drums for the cannon armament. Made me look http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I ment the Bf110<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">C</span> of course, which sported twin drum fed MgFF cannons. Or the nightfighter version G-4 with two MgFF in a schraege musik installation. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm playing the modded game for so long I'm forgetting what's original and what not. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Any way - even when AI flies a 110C, it can discharge entire cannon ammoload in one continuous burst.

It's the same with He-111H-6 nose gunner and his Mg-FF - you can discharge 4 drums worth of ammo with no reloading.

Ba5tard5word
02-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah the moving dogfight server thingy has a thing where you can land at your base and do some menu commands to get repaired, refueled and reload your ammo, it's pretty cool. It requires a mod though which we can't really discuss here except generally.

AndyJWest
02-26-2010, 09:59 PM
It requires a mod though which we can't really discuss here except generally.

Seeing as it is supposed to be coming up in the next TD patch, I can't see anyone objecting to us being a little more specific. How easy is it to set this option up in the FMB?