PDA

View Full Version : SDK for pc??

Mnightscare
03-21-2008, 06:52 AM
wazap.

Do anyone know if Ubi is planning on releasing an SDK for this game? if not an SDK, then atleast a map editor? it would be a great game to mod.

GreyFlameIII
03-21-2008, 06:56 AM
What does SDK mean? >_<

BTOG46
03-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Source Developers Kit, and I doubt if Ubi will release any tools.

GreyFlameIII
03-21-2008, 07:19 AM
@ BTOG

Thanks, never knew that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

@ Mnight

I aggree with B I don't think they will release any tools either... Regardless of how awesome it would be. >_<

Mnightscare
03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
honestly, I think it's the LEAST they can do..

the pc version is like 6 months late, with no significant extra features (those new "missions" aren't significant).. no improvement to the redundant gameplay. NOTHING..

lol, I even just found out that there is no Bow and Arrow weapon in the game.. that kinda sucks..

yet they expect people to buy it instead of downloading a pirated version?.. They forget that PC gamers aren't as gullible as Console gamers.. If you want something to Sell on pc, you need to be up to par with the competition.

An SDK and map editor would really make up for the delay.. that way the community can add whatever functionalities they want into the game.. they'd have a REASON to actually pay money for it..

oh well..

GreyFlameIII
03-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Go ahead and pirate it if you want...

Phreaky_McGeek
03-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think Ubi have *ever* given any support to the modding community so I wouldn't expect anything. There was an unofficial editor for the PoP engine called PersianRug, but it never really got far into development.

BTOG46
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Phreaky_McGeek:
I don't think Ubi have *ever* given any support to the modding community
It depends on the game, some games have had map editors released by Ubi.

adarwinter
03-21-2008, 11:19 AM
and SDK?! please.
we should concider ourselves lucky if the format of the game files is editable in an efficient way.
GRAW and GRAW2 has a few nice mods to them (no crosshair, more blood, etc etc) and use made maps BUT that is a very very rare case and GRAW was developed by GRIN. not UBI.
an UBI developed games are rarely modders friendly.

all i wish is some comfortable files that values in it can be changed.
all i wish to change, actually, is the likelihood of enemy guards blocking, countering, dodging etc. this should be as easy as tweak some numbers in an INI file but i really dont think it will be this easy.
in rainbow six VEGAS i tweaked some INI files to make changes for weapons (SMGs less accurate, ARs less stable, grenades blow up faster etc) but i doubt AC will be this nice to tweak.

but an SDK? no way. pfffft.

moqqy
03-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mnightscare:
honestly, I think it's the LEAST they can do..

the pc version is like 6 months late, with no significant extra features (those new "missions" aren't significant).. no improvement to the redundant gameplay. NOTHING..

lol, I even just found out that there is no Bow and Arrow weapon in the game.. that kinda sucks..

yet they expect people to buy it instead of downloading a pirated version?.. They forget that PC gamers aren't as gullible as Console gamers.. If you want something to Sell on pc, you need to be up to par with the competition.

An SDK and map editor would really make up for the delay.. that way the community can add whatever functionalities they want into the game.. they'd have a REASON to actually pay money for it..

oh well..

Do you have any idea though ow much work it would take to create such tool? There's no bow and arrow because that wouldn't be historically accurate and didn't suit the missions

Mnightscare
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by moqqy:

Do you have any idea though ow much work it would take to create such tool?

Do you know how long they've been working on this game?

anyway, a map editor wouldn't really require any work.. so why don't we get one? hmm..

There's no bow and arrow because that wouldn't be historically accurate

bows and arrows were around in that time frame.. there wouldn't be any historical inaccuracies. one could argue that the weapon wasn't used by the assassin's, but still that doesn't mean the weapon wasn't around.

and didn't suit the missions

what if you just want to shoot random people from a hill.. a bow and arrow would be really nice to have in such a situation. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTOG46
03-21-2008, 01:21 PM
anyway, a map editor wouldn't really require any work.. so why don't we get one? hmm.

That assumes that the editor used in making a game is easily convertible to one that ordinary players can use, plus, a knowledge of scripting is usually required in order to have npc's react in the right way.

caswallawn_2k7
03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
also with the way they game is a map editor would be overly complicated as you would have to take into acoung climbing holds, distances btween, hiding places and and safe ways down while making buildins otherwise the entire game falls apart. as far as the bow and arrow goes do you realy think an assassin could go unoticed carrying a bow and arrows? that is why they made it throwing knives instead as they can be concealed easier.

moqqy
03-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Mnightscare:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:

Do you have any idea though ow much work it would take to create such tool?

Do you know how long they've been working on this game?

anyway, a map editor wouldn't really require any work.. so why don't we get one? hmm..

There's no bow and arrow because that wouldn't be historically accurate

bows and arrows were around in that time frame.. there wouldn't be any historical inaccuracies. one could argue that the weapon wasn't used by the assassin's, but still that doesn't mean the weapon wasn't around.

and didn't suit the missions

what if you just want to shoot random people from a hill.. a bow and arrow would be really nice to have in such a situation. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, yes it would be a lot of work if they released a public map editor.

Assassin's didn't use bows and arrows. How lame would it be if you could shoot random citizens but not do anything useful with the bow then? A forcefield stops you from shooting the target?'

@caswallawn.. he is covered in weapons anyways, so it wouldn't matter... a bow wouldn't probably make anyone interested, because it is a hunting weapon, while swords and throwing knives are weapons made to kill people.

caswallawn_2k7
03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
@moqqy: he covers most of it with a cape so he can fit in sort of.

moqqy
03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
@moqqy: he covers most of it with a cape so he can fit in sort of.

No he doesn't:P Most of his weapons are well visible.

adarwinter
03-21-2008, 04:53 PM
i just think a bow and arrow are not in for gameplay purposes. it might be too easy to handle certain situations with a shot from distance.

the game is too easy as it is. no need to make it possible to kill all 5 guards bothering a citizen from 150 feet or eliminate a target from afar without the need to ever approach it.

adarwinter
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by adarwinter:
i just think a bow and arrow are not in for gameplay purposes. it might be too easy to handle certain situations with a shot from distance.

the game is too easy as it is. no need to make it possible to kill all 5 guards bothering a citizen from 150 feet or eliminate a target from afar without the need to ever approach it.

exactly my thoughts. its just to balance things. a bow could be awsome but ruin the little challenge the game offers.

about an SDK - this kinda tool is too hard to release for public. however if there are little mods like changing the health of al-tair, the combat AI or little stuff like that to make the game be more difficult would make the PC version so much better and all that it needs to be.
if a MOD will come out that makes everything much harder than ppl will feel the need to play the game again and approach it in a different state of mind. maybe becoming more stealthy or run away from battles more or actually use the vigilates. all it should take is a few tweaks to the likeliness that the AI will block\dodge\counter and make altair's health limited to, say, 10 bars and that's it.
im just worried that the files will be encrypted in such a way that tweaking these things will not be possible.

Decryphe
04-05-2008, 05:34 AM
It doesn't really matter, how hard it is to mod the game... the only thing that really matters is the fact _if_ the game can be modded.

What is done with the modding tools shouldn't really matter as well... if someone wants to create a historically incorrect mod, let him do that.

It can't really be too hard to release modding-tools, since the tools to create those data-files and the maps, etc. are already existent. Look at Oblivion, the Construction Set of that game is complex as hell, because it's just a public release of the tools, the developers used to build their own content.

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R

Edit: By the way, are there any of you interested in trying to create the modding-tools by themselves? I could contribute with some knowledge of C++, PHP and very little about Reverse-Engineering (program code for now).

caswallawn_2k7
04-05-2008, 06:04 AM
the oblivion tools arnt the devs tools modding in oblivion is very very rigid compaird to games like half life and unreal tournerment were they let you even change the base code so if your good enough you can change the game from say a FPS to a RTS some1 actualy did this with a mod for halflife 1.

the fact is mod tools are only as open as the devs want to make the code so the mod tools are a independant program that isnt used by any1 other than a modder hence why alot of games dont release the mod tools with the game then do beta's on them.

you could make your own mod tools but if you go to all that trouble im sure you could easily edit it by files and ubi code without the need to build a guide.

the_assassin_07
04-05-2008, 09:49 AM
iPood.

dacoolstas
04-06-2008, 08:34 PM
i dont know anything about modding but i found this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qKtORPvsoQ

Now the guy says its a "flying" glitch but i think it must be a mod because altair is actually flapping his arms. So if it is a mod, then maybe there's hope for the pc version?
EDIT: nvm i just read this: "It's not a glitch. It's a no clip button they put in the demo to test out areas."

NasherUK
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree, games on PC without mod tools OR multiplayer die within the week.

pietjevlip
04-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I'd like a SDK, or even just a level editor, but I realize the chances are slim. I'm not worried about the placing 'n spacing, My guess is the engine can figure those things out, and otherwise my brain will be able to fix that. (If I drink a little less than usual, that is)

Now it would add to the replay value a lot, and to the fun as well. My hopes aren't very high though, in fact, they're quite close to a certain round-shaped number which looks a little familiar to the letter O.

We'll see. Or we won't.

Decryphe
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Well... now that the game is released, is there any news about an SDK?

( btw: it's not 'Source Developers Kit' as stated in third post, it's 'Software Development Kit'. The version with source is only for games with source engine, available via Steam :P )

caswallawn_2k7
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Decryphe:
Well... now that the game is released, is there any news about an SDK?

( btw: it's not 'Source Developers Kit' as stated in third post, it's 'Software Development Kit'. The version with source is only for games with source engine, available via Steam :P )
source dev kit means you can edit any of the source code of the game/program were a software dev kit means you can edit the software but your restricted to keeping it like original game were with a source dev kit you can change everything including the way the game is played.