PDA

View Full Version : Newbie patrolling question

jonpfl
04-06-2007, 05:38 AM
All,

I installed the GWX mod and am amazed at everything. One thing I noticed from my limited play is that destroyers seem to find you easier.

My question is in regards to travelling on the big map to your patrol square. How do people generally do it? I have been (in the vanilla version) plotted a course and then travelled on the surface and went to 1024x time. If I came upon a ship, I would generally dive until I could figure everything out.

With this new mod, the first time I had contact with a destroyer, it seemed to find me as soon as I found him.

Do people travel to their patrol square on the surface or do they alternate between above ground at night and below during the day?

Thx
jonpfl

geoffwessex
04-06-2007, 09:35 AM
GWX adds realism - and sometimes gives the opposition so much power that the game is very, very difficult. I'm not complaining about this, although some aspects can really annoy. I'm not sure if the Mini Tweaker has any effect on GWX - though I can't see why not. Have a read of other very recent mentions of the Mini Tweaker (which I think you can find from the Mods and Tools sticky).

On the surface/dive transit to your area question, as you're on GWX you may as well get as close to reality as possible. Being on the surface in daylight (certainly in areas where they may have expected enemy ships and aircraft) was a definite no-no to most submarines, of all nationalities. The patrol will take longer, in real time and game time, but that's what happened.

You will also (in the game, at least) conserve fuel, with your battery expending the charge that it was given overnight. Of course, if you need to be deep all day - and they're long days in northern latitudes in the summer - you will have to go to 'slow ahead' and no more.

jonpfl
04-06-2007, 09:41 AM
When you say "conserve fuel (in the game, at least)", what do you mean by this?

I assume the batteries charge while surfaced and the diesel engines running and that is what used when underwater

Correct?

geoffwessex
04-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Correct - so when running on what the game calls 'electric engines' it means from the battery, so no diesel oil is being used.
If you're short on fuel on your way back to base, stick with the dived/surfaced rotation, you use far less fuel (as in real life).

Foehammer-1
04-06-2007, 11:01 AM
"As in real life" not being good words, since on the surface your diesels do not use a single drop of fuel to recharge http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Hey, if a bug is helpful, it doesn't need fixing

geoffwessex
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
"As in real life" not being good words, since on the surface your diesels do not use a single drop of fuel to recharge

Huh? I don't follow your meaning there, FH - the diesel engines always use fuel to run, and while they run they 'can' - but don't have to - recharge the battery.

Foehammer-1
04-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Try this- get a IIA boat, straight out of the harbor run on electrics. When your battery runs out, surface, but do not move. The battery will magically recharge. Do it some more. You will notice that your fuel remains at 100%, meaning batteries recharged by magic.

Another thing to look for. When you sail on surface, check your range at current speed. Let's assume it is 5000km. Now, dive, and then recharge batteries. You will sail at a slightly lower speed, but your range will increase, it might show around 5700km, depending on your speed. If the other diesel ran on flank speed to recharge, it would use more fuel, shortening the range. However, it seems like the boat only uses one engine..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Jonpfl